Community Message Boards

Thread: do i have to use a roasting pan?

Question do i have to use a roasting pan?

hi all!!

questions here....

do i have to buy a roasting pan for this or could i use my caphalon grill pan (i'm pretty sure it can go in the oven) for this pork roast?

if i wanted to deglaze the pan later (something i have NEVER done before) could i just use white wine? or red wine? or chicken broth?! i have no idea! and how much do i use?

i'm having guests over for dinner on saturday and i wanted to give this a shot...got the recipe from epicurious website with rave reviews...i'll be serving it with roasted garlic mashed potatoes and jewel's garlicky green beans...yummy!

Thanks for your help!!

chloe

ROAST PORK LOIN WITH GARLIC AND ROSEMARY

4 large garlic cloves, pressed
    4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried
    1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 2 1/2-pound boneless pork loin roast, well trimmed

Fresh rosemary sprigs (optional)

Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 13 x 9 x 2-inch roasting pan with foil. Mix first 4 ingredients in bowl. Rub garlic mixture all over pork. Place pork, fat side down, in prepared roasting pan. Roast pork 30 minutes. Turn roast fat side up. Roast until thermometer inserted into center of pork registers 155°F., about 25 minutes longer. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes.

Pour any juices from roasting pan into small saucepan; set over low heat to keep warm. Cut pork crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Arrange pork slices on platter. Pour pan juices over. Garnish with rosemary sprigs, if desired.

Serves 8.

Per serving: calories, 200; total fat, 7 g; saturated fat, 2 g; cholesterol, 100 mg.

Bon Appétit
    June 1999

Chloe, I always use my Calphalon grill pan to roast pork. If you want to deglaze the pan later, I'd use red wine, but that would just be my preference - I think the flavors would work together well.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833