Community Message Boards

Thread: Can bark be frozen?

Can bark be frozen?

I always make my Christmas cookies and candy several weeks ahead of time and then freeze it all until needed. But, I've never made bark before and want to be sure it can be frozen before I make any. Here's the recipe I plan to use. What do you think?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Festive Christmas Bark

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Candies Gifts
    Holiday - Christmas

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup shelled pistachio nuts -- (about 1/2 pound in shell)
    12 ounces semisweet chocolate -- chopped
    8 ounces white chocolate -- chopped
    3/4 cup dried, sweetened cranberries

Heat the oven to 350 and lightly toast the pistachios on a baking sheet, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let the nuts cool

Melt the semisweet chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, stirring until smooth. Melt the white chocolate separately, following the same directions.

In a small bowl, combine the nuts and cranberries, then stir half of them into the semisweet chocolate. Using a spatula, spread the mixture to about a 1/-inch thickness on a large cookie sheet. Drop the white chocolate by tablespoonfuls over the dark. With the tip of a butter knife, swirl the chocolates together to create a marbled effect. Sprinkle on the rest of the nuts and berries.

Refrigerate the bark for about 1 hour or until firm, then break it into pieces. Store the bark in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month. Makes about 1 3/4 pounds.

Description:
    "Once you've attempted this melt-in-your-mouth confection, you'll be tempted to fill your own candy dish with it instead of giving it away as gifts."
    Source:
    "Famliy Fun, December 2003"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Best to plan on making a couple of batches from the start and packeage the finished candy in see-through cellophane bags to show off the mouthwatering goods.
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates

I make a similar peppermint bark every year (same thing but with crushed candy canes instead of the nuts and fruit) and I always freeze it. It's never been a problem. I might try your recipe this year as a change of pace -- it looks yummy!

Absolutely. Just make sure you use a heavy duty freezer bag, because I have found that chocolate bark and similar candies can take on undesirable flavors from the freezer if they are not properly insulated! Happy, um, barking!
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

Thank you both, for your quick response and also giving me the answer I wanted! Yay!!
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates