Community Message Boards

Thread: "dry sweetener" or sugar?

"dry sweetener" or sugar?

I have a vegan brownie recipe I am making (right now!) that calls for dry sweetener. Do they mean sugar or sugar subsitute?
    Thanks!

I've never seen sugar referred to as "dry sweetener" in a recipe.

so...would you put in sugar or sugar subsitute?
    I am starting to think that they call for a dry sweetener because animal by products are used in processing sugar...

They could mean sugar or some other form of sweetener in solid form such as granulated corn syrup solids. Very unlikely that a vegan recipe would call for an artificial sweetner. Found this for you:

To replace 1 cup dry sweetener with 1 cup liquid sweetener: reduce another liquid by 1/3 cup or add 4-5 tablespoons flour.
    To replace 1 cup dry sweetener with 3/4 cup honey: reduce another liquid by 1/4 cup or add 1/3 cup flour.
    To replace 1 cup liquid sweetener with 1 cup dry sweetener: add 1/3 cup water. To replace 1 cup liquid sweetener with 3/4 cup honey: add 1/4 cup water.
    Note: When using thick liquid sweeteners, heat the jar in hot water for five minutes to make pouring easier and spray measuring cups with vegetable spray to prevent sticking.

Sweet Substitutes
    1 cup granulated sugar
    ***Substitutes*** -- (Reduce liquid by)
    3/4 cup honey -- (1/8c)
    3/4 cup maple syrup -- (1/8c)
    1 cup maple sugar (granules)
    1/2 cup molasses
    1 cup date sugar (health food)
    1 1/2 cups malt syrup / Barley Malt -- (slightly)
    1 1/2 cups fruit juice concentrate -- (1/8c)
    apple juice, frozen concentrate -- undiluted

The above measurements are substitutes for 1 cup of sugar. You may need to reduce the amount a liquid in a recipe. For example: if a muffin recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup water, substitute 3/4 cup honey and 3/8 cup water.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Originally posted by clementine
    so...would you put in sugar or sugar subsitute?
    Well...I wouldn't be making a vegan brownie recipe. I guess I'm just not sure what the the recipe wants you to use. Hard to tell without seeing the recipe. Maybe you're supposed to use any type of "dry" sweetener like sugar, brown sugar, etc. and not a liquid sweetener like honey, molasses,etc.

I just did a search and found these vegan brownie recipes and none of them call for artificial sweetener...
    http://www.vegdot.org/story/2002/2/2/121452/3874
    http://www.ivu.org/recipes/northam/v...rownies-j.html
    http://www.yummydishes.com/vgn/vgn_brownies.html

No, you're right, clementine, thinking they mean "not evil white sugar processed through animal bones and bought from the Corporate Machine!" By "dry sweetener" they mean "not syrup." I have seen this before in a few vegan recipes.

Date sugar, Sucanat or other evaporated cane juice, maple sugar... or even non-beast-filtered beet or raw sugar, if you can find it, would be what you need.

Tell us how the brownies come out!