Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What NOT to bring to a cookie swap!

What NOT to bring to a cookie swap!

I spent a lot of my day yesterday making 10 dozen caramel filled - pecan dipped chocolate cookies.

To exchange for.........

party mix?
    Avril

There's always a reason to bake.

Yeesh. Chalk it up to "It's better to give than to receive"....

Was it at least home-made party mix? I gave up on the work cookie swap after year before last, when I got from three separate swappers.... Pillsbury Xmas Slice-n-Bakes, bundled in the "festive colours" Glad Wrap.

That is NOT fair to have several go to all that work and not get something equal in return. I am happy to report that this has never happened at our MOMS Club cookie swap. We give the moms the choice not to participate if they're too busy - they can just join us for the fellowship and festivities. But of course they do not take anything home with them either.

Sheesh.

Alysha

That is better than the cookie exchange I went to, where several people saw nothing wrong with bringing...nothing.

Oh yeah, it hurt to let my beautiful cookies go and bring back my empty plate to my eager husband.
    Karen

Boy, that would tick me off. I always bring something home made and good to pot lucks & office parties & it fries me when 5 people bring those stupid trays of raw vegies with ranch dip. Yeah, I know we're all busy etc etc etc. Maybe there need to be rules to participate in cookie swaps?

Originally posted by jellyben
    That is better than the cookie exchange I went to, where several people saw nothing wrong with bringing...nothing.
    You don't mean they brought nothing but then also took something home????

Originally posted by lindrusso

You don't mean they brought nothing but then also took something home????
    I think she implied that. How rude can anyone be! :mad:

Originally posted by jellyben

Oh yeah, it hurt to let my beautiful cookies go and bring back my empty plate to my eager husband.
    Huh?!?!

Originally posted by Valerie226
    Maybe there need to be rules to participate in cookie swaps?
    For a number of years I organized cookie swaps where I used to work and we never had a problem. We had three rules - all cookies had to be made from scratch, no chocolate chip cookies, and each participant had to bring copies of the recipe he or she used.

We still had some people who spent hours on very special, beautifully decorated and/or labor-intensive cookies, while others brought in more simple fare, but everyone had a good time and those who did go the extra distance usually did so because they enjoyed doing it. No complaints!

Where's the "swap" in cookie swap if people don't bring anything to trade?

I would be so mad if that happened to me. I would steal my cookies back from those rude people when they weren't looking.

Jasmine-Rose, I think your rules are perfect: simple yet they cover all the important points. In fact, when I saw this title, I thought "chocolate chip cookies" with an image of someone bringing home nothing but. I can't believe folks would come to a cookie swap empty handed and take home plates. I thought the slice and bake was bold.

OK, one unwritten rule to add: if an immediate family member is in the hospital, all other rules do not apply. Otherwise, see rules 1-3.

AhA! I am not the only one

I must say that this cruddy party mix is DEFINITELY trumped by the empty plate. Good grief, do people have NO concept????

But I agree regarding general guidelines: Do a simple drop cookie, sure. not everyone is Martha Stewart. But you're not really saving anyone any time buy doing a slice and bake, are you? (And I notice you don't even have to slice those things anymore! )

My cookies were a hit though. Thanks to this BB for making me a cookie Goddess.
    Avril

There's always a reason to bake.

Boy, that would tick me off. I always bring something home made and good to pot lucks & office parties & it fries me when 5 people bring those stupid trays of raw vegies with ranch dip. Yeah, I know we're all busy etc etc etc. Maybe there need to be rules to participate in cookie swaps?
    Valerie, I have to admit that there are times when I bring veggies and dip (albeit always homemade) to parties since there is very seldom anything healthful to eat, and I go home feeling like a slug. There are never 5 veggie trays at the parties I go to!

That being said, though, I would NEVER bring store-bought or "everyday" baked goods to a cookie exchange. The whole idea is to make one nice batch yourself, and come home with a wonderful assortment!
    Alicia

A silly friend of mine jokes that if you heat Fig Newtons in the microwave for 3 seconds, you can fool your kids into thinking you made them...I THINK she's joking, but I'm not sure!

I like the three rules for the cookie exchange, especially bringing the recipe.
    Margaret

I've only done two cookie swaps. there were 5 or 6 of us each time. We were to make enough cookies for each person to take home 6 of everyone else's cookies. Every cookie I took home was burned. I would have rather had store bought cookies than what I received. I no longer do cookie swaps.

There must be a lot of broken thermostats in the ovens of my trade partners. I guess they tried.
    Joyce
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Jmarie -
    That's when you find the people who only use their oven once a year to bake...and don't realize the importance of an oven thermometer.
    I would love to have to option of a cookie swap. This year, I suggested it, but no one has the time. After reading this thread, maybe I'm glad that I'm going to have to put up with my own baking
    Lacey: So now that Superman is done at the Iron Fortress, is he going to spin his web of justice and return to the Batcave?
    Brent: You don't read many comic books, do you?
    -Corner Gas

Gosh! We DO have rules.

1. Bring a batch of homebaked cookies.
    2. If you don't want to bring a batch of homebaked cookies, you are welcome to come to the party to hang out or to help decorate cookies that we provide.
    3. If you show up with purchased cookies, you will be thrown out and pelted with the store bought cookies.

We wait until everyone shows up, then we put out a plate for each person that brought cookies. Then we divide up each batch evenly among all the plates. It works great for us.

I just got back from my first ever cookie exchange is it was great. Everyone made their own cookies, printed out 15 copies of the recipe and the host provided us with a cute little folder for all of the recipes. This is a list of what I have brought home with me - maple/pecan swirls, ginger/lemon slices, chocolate crinkle cookies, Punahou School caramel cuts, sugar snow snaps, cream cheese delights, chocolate chip meringue cookies, penaut butter chocolate kisses, sandies, cran/raisin/walnut biscotti, almond snowball cookies, and my own (Felice's everything-but-the-kitchen-sink cookies).

I can't imagine anyone who would have the nerve to show up empty handed but expect to take cookies home.
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Why participate if you cannot bring anything or follow the rules?

I participated in one with my dinner club ( I miss them ) a couple of years ago and we each brought 3 dozen cookies and then we made 3 recipes that evening. We had a blast.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

I'm hosting a MOMs club cookie exchange and we're using Evite. This has been very helpful because everyone can just respond with what kind of cookie they plan to make -- first come, first serve. No duplicates.

As for the party mix, I kind of like the idea of bringing smartly-wrapped, individual bags of party mix. The caramel-filled cookies would be better, but I love homemade party mix and hate spending $10.00 on 3 kinds of cereal to make it.

Guess I meant the pre made vegie trays as "symbolic" of people who put in zero efort in and reap a bounty. ( gobluem82, I love home made vegie trays with good dip) when people put forth no effort and take home ( or eat ) your best efforts I would feel ripped off. sort of conned. Of course there are times when someone has no time or energy but maybe it's better off to not attend or attend with an explanation. and not to go home with a tray of special cookies. I have been to too many "parties" where a few of us brought things worth eating, and others showed up with a bag of mpotatoe cips or a bucket of KFC extra crispy.

Of course there are times when someone has no time or energy but maybe it's better off to not attend or attend with an explanation. and not to go home with a tray of special cookies. I have been to too many "parties" where a few of us brought things worth eating, and others showed up with a bag of mpotatoe cips or a bucket of KFC extra crispy.
    I agree that when you attend a cookie swap - where the whole point is to bake and then swap - you should not expect to go home with a plate of cookies if you did not bring anything.

But another point of view. As for other parties, it depends on what kind of party you are talking about. If you are attending a generic party and are just bringing food to help contribute, a tray of veggies or whatever you choose to bring is just fine. I'd rather have a guest come with a bag of chips than not come at all. At a regular party, the point to me is to have a good time with good friends - good food is just a bonus.

Alysha

I love Colleency's rule #3!

"3. If you show up with purchased cookies, you will be thrown out and pelted with the store bought cookies"
    That's great.

We had our 14th annual cookie exchange yesterday. We were loaded in chocolate, but none of them were remotely similar to any other cookie. We had Chocolate Caramel Cookies (turns out that these are Rolo cookies...we had those our very first year!!), Cocoa Kiss Cookies, Macaroon Cookies (these are excellent!!), Mexican Chocolate Cookies, Sparkling Butter Toffee Cookies.

All were wonderful! All were homemade. And EVERYONE brought copies of their recipe.

I think I would be disappointed if someone in my cookie/baking exchange brought nothing, but still took everyone else's creations home. Most people put alot of time and effort (not to mention money) into what they make for an exchange.

I have only ever been in one exchange group and it has worked really well, so I haven't had any bad experiences. Our group was started by one girl and she basically invited people to join on a "trial" basis. If what you made passed the test, you were invited back the following year. If not, you were out. Each year there is usually someone who can't participate for some reason or another, so the opportunity to earn a spot in the annual exchange is given to someone else. It is fun to watch how the new members totally feel the pressure to bring something amazing. We also just implemented a rule that if you make cookies, you have to bring 1 1/2 dozen for each person instead of a dozen. It's just all good for everyone involved.

This year my Mom had surgery and to keep her from overdoing it (like it helps!), I am making hers as well. 16 dozen truffles...half done, half to go. Better get to work...

Originally posted by oceanjasper
    Our group was started by one girl and she basically invited people to join on a "trial" basis. If what you made passed the test, you were invited back the following year. If not, you were out. Each year there is usually someone who can't participate for some reason or another, so the opportunity to earn a spot in the annual exchange is given to someone else. It is fun to watch how the new members totally feel the pressure to bring something amazing.
    was anyone was ever not invited back? just curious.

I'm curious, too. And whose "test" are they passing? The group's? The group's Significant Others'? Children's? I'm sure they're impressive cookies, but I'd never stand the pressure...

Originally posted by CompassRose
    I'm curious, too. And whose "test" are they passing? The group's? The group's Significant Others'? Children's? I'm sure they're impressive cookies, but I'd never stand the pressure...
    I guess in some circles, cookie exchanges are sport.

hey, maybe someday it will become an event in the Winter Olympics.

Competition! The true spirit of Christmas!