Community Message Boards

Thread: Boneless Pork Chops - any ideas for dinner?

Boneless Pork Chops - any ideas for dinner?

Hi folks -

I have some nice boneless pork chops defrosting for dinner, but the trouble is, I DON'T KNOW what I want to do with them.... I haven't made pork chops in quite some time - often over the summer and in the fall we did ternderloin, but not chops. So, picking your brains for any ideas or recipes you may have for boneless pork chops. I did a search but didn't come up with anything.... any ideas/ recipes are welcome... TIA
    ~ Alyssa

I really loved the Pork Loin Chops with Cinnamon Apples from CL 10/03. The apples are really yummy when you cook them in the pan juices after the chops. It is really easy to make, one of the dinner tonight recipes.

I just made these last week and we loved them. Glazed Sesame Pork Thread (i think) I served it with Asian Style Edamame and Corn Salad that Lindrusso posted a while back. There is a thread on that as well.

Glazed Sesame Pork
    1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    5 (6-ounce) center-cut pork chops (about 1 inch thick)
    2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
    3/4 cup low-salt chicken broth
    2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper over both sides of pork. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork, and cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, broth, and remaining ingredients; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Uncover; simmer an additional 20 minutes or until tender. Serve pork with sauce.

Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 1 pork chop and about 2 tablespoons sauce)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 275 (45% from fat); FAT 13.9g (sat 4.1g, mono 5.9g, poly 2.6g); PROTEIN 31.8g; CARB 3.3g; FIBER 0.2g; CHOL 88mg; IRON 1.7mg; SODIUM 433mg; CALC 46mg;

Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 1998

ANOTHER GOOD ONE.
    Pork Loin Chops with Cinnamon Apples Thread (i think!)

Pork Loin Chops with Cinnamon Apples
    Pork and apples are simply meant for each other. Tart Granny Smiths balance the caramel sweetness of brown sugar. Braeburn apples work well, too. Use a vegetable peeler instead of a paring knife to quickly peel the apples.

1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    4 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops (about 1/2 inch thick)
    1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
    Cooking spray
    1 teaspoon butter
    4 cups (1/2-inch) slices peeled Granny Smith apples (about 4 medium)
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Dash of salt

Combine first 3 ingredients, and sprinkle over the pork. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add pork; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Remove the pork from pan. Cover and keep warm.
    Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add apples and remaining ingredients, and cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Serve the apples with pork.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 pork chop and 3/4 cup apple mixture)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 251 (30% from fat); FAT 8.3g (sat 3.1g, mono 3.3g, poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 24.1g; CARB 20.2g; FIBER 2.3g; CHOL 67mg; IRON 0.9mg; SODIUM 388mg; CALC 38mg;

Abby Duchin Dinces
    Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2003

I di pork chops last night marinated in apple cider vinegar, cayenne and brown sugar. very tasty and supremely easy
    Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
    Anthony Bourdain

Boneless chops can be tricky because they tend to dry out quicker than bone-in chops (IMHO).

I'm usually not a big fan of "cream of ---" soups, but this recipe is so easy and makes a great sauce/gravy:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Saute chops and thinly sliced ontions in an ovenproof skillet until the onions are soft and the chops are brown on both sides

Mix one can of cream of celery soup (I use the light version) and a half cup to a cup of chicken broth until blended. Pour in skillet, cover the chops and bring to a bubbling simmer.

Put the skillet in the oven until the chops are fully cooked. The length of time depends upon whether you use boneless or bone-in chops, and how thick they are. I use a thermometer to make sure the pork is cooked.

Serve with sauce over potatoes, rice or noodles.

When I made this last week and 'fessed up to using canned soup, my DH joked that he wondered why Gordon Elliot hadn't shown up on our doorstep.

The favorite of my boys is the Korean Pork CL September 2002. It needs marinating in advance however I've done it in as little as 1 hour with good results.

I like this one:

Pork with Curried Orange Sauce (CL Sept '01)

3/4 teas curry powder, divided
    1/4 teas paprika
    1/4 teas salt
    4 (4-oz) boneless center-cut loin pork chops, trimmed (about 1/2 inch thick)
    1/3 cup orange marmalade
    1 1/2 teas prepared horseradish
    1 1/2 teas balsamic vinegar
    1/8 teas crushed red pepper
    Cooking Spray

1. Combine 1/4 teas curry powder, paprika and salt. Sprinkle pork with the curry mixture.

2. Combine 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, marmalade, horseradish, vinegar, and pepper in a small bowl.

3. Heat a large non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the pork; cook for 3 minutes on each side or until pork loses its pink color. Remove from pan. Add the marmalade mixture to pan; cook for 15 seconds, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Spoon sauce over pork chops. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 pork chop and 1 T sauce).

Calories: 254; Fat 8.7gm; Protein 25.3gm; Carb 18.5gm; Fiber 0.3gm; Chol 69mg; Iron 0.9mg; Sodium 224mg; Calc 41mg

Or this one:
    Pork Piccata

Deglaze the pan (scrape brown bits of cooked pork from the bottom) with lemon juice and chicken broth to make the sauce for this variation of veal piccata.

This recipe can be found on page 278 of Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2002.

Ingredients
    1/3 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
    4 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops, trimmed (about 1/2 inch thick)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/4 cup chopped shallots
    1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
    2 teaspoons capers
    1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Directions
    Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Dredge pork in breadcrumbs. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the pork for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove pork from pan. Reduce heat to medium.
    Add shallots to pan; cook 30 seconds. Stir in broth and juice, scraping pan to loosen the browned bits. Stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley, capers, rind, and pepper; simmer 1 minute. Return pork to pan; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle pork with 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley.

Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Cooking Time: 10 minutes

Servings/Serving Size: Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 pork chop and 2 tablespoons sauce).

Nutrition Facts (per Serving):
    276 calories; 9.7 g carbohydrates; 61 mg cholesterol; 14 g fat; 458 mg sodium; 26.3 g protein; 24 mg calcium; 1.5 mg iron; 0.7 g fiber
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

We usually just cook our pork chops in the broiler, and baste with some soy sauce. It is always delicious!

There are a few really good CL recipes. The bourbon glazed pork chops with peaches are really good (from earlier this year? Maybe June or July?). My favorite is probably CL's Whiskey Flavored pork chops. I can't remember the issue they were in, but it was at least a year or so ago. (Do I see an alcohol theme here ?) In the CL Complete cookbook, there is a very easy recipe for pork chops in gravy. There aren't that many ingredients, they're all basic- salt, pepper, flour - but the results are surprisingly good.

Sunday I made a gorganzola jalepeno sauce for some grilled boneless pork chops. Mmmmmm! Just made a simple white sauce (added garlic and chopped jalepeno to the butter) and added the cheese after it had thickened. We put the sauce on the brocolli too. My family loved it. -sarah
    "Always serve too much hot fudge sauce on hot fudge sundaes. It makes people overjoyed, and puts them in your debt."
    Judith Olney

here's one we like--even though it says it uses sliced tenderloin, I've done it with boneless chops and it works fine. I got this from Epicurious somewhere, once upon a time, probably from Gail's Swap--but my notes don't indicate who origianlly posted it.

PORK IN SAN FRANCISCO SAUCE

1 Pork tenderloin
    1 clove garlic, crushed or minced
    4 Tbl dry sherry or broth
    4 Tbl low sodium soy sauce (regular will be too salty in this dish)
    2 Tbl brown sugar
    2 tsp vegetable oil
    dash Tabasco or other red pepper sauce
    2 Tbl cold water
    2 tsp cornstarch

Slice tenderloin into 1 ½” thick slices and brown on both sides (can also use chops if desired), remove from pan and add garlic. Cook just until soft. and add pork back to pan. Make sauce from sherry, soy sauce, brown sugar, oil and red pepper sauce. Pour over pork. Cover and let simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, until pork is done. Combine cornstarch and water and add to sauce. Cook until thickened. Serve with rice, noodles, or couscous. Sometimes I’ll double the sauce, just so there’s plenty to pour over the rice or noodles.

Gilgamesh, your recipe is almost exactly like one that I have been making for about 5 years now. It is one of DH's favorites. It is one of the recipes that came with my Mastercook software. Out of all those thousands of recipes you get with MC this is the only one I have ever tried, lol. The sauce makes a great gravy when served with mashed potatoes. But definately use a low-sodium soy sauce or it can get quite salty.

* Exported from MasterCook *

San Francisco Chops

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:45
    Categories : Main Course Pork

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    THE CHOPS
    4 pork chops -- 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick
    1 tablespoon oil
    1 clove garlic -- minced

THE SAUCE
    2 teaspoons oil
    4 tablespoons sherry
    OR
    4 tablespoons broth
    4 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper flakes

THICKENER
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    2 tablespoons water

Brown chops in oil. Add more oil if needed and sauté the garlic for a minute; don't burn it. Pour all of the sauce ingredients in the pan. Cover tightly and simmer over low heat 30 - 35 minutes until the chops are tender, turning once. You can add a bit of water from time to time to keep sauce from cooking down too much. Remove the chops. Dissolve the cornstarch in the water and pour this into the sauce. Cook 'til it thickens. Pour sauce over the chops and serve.

Description:
    "Pork chops cooked in thickened sweet and hot soy sauce."
    Cuisine:
    "American"
    Yield:
    "4 Pieces"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 345 Calories; 20g Fat (56.6% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 74mg Cholesterol; 1091mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1363 0 2130706543 0 0 4714 0 0 0 0

Very simple, probably too late for you tonight but perhaps one to note for the future:
    Heat on top whack a sauté pan or a frying pan with a lid then throw in a little olive oil. Flour your chops lightly and brown them on either side. Add 2 smashed and peeled garlic cloves per chop, several sprigs of thyme (or a teaspoon or so of dried thyme) turn the heat down and cover the pan. Allow to seethe gently for 15 mins then turn chops - seethe again 15 mins, adjusting heat throughout so you can hear a gentle sizzle - anything more than that and your heat is too high. Remove chops and leave in warm place to rest for ten mins or so while you finish off any accompaniments (celeriac and potato mash - half and half of each - goes brillliantly with it.) Keep chop-cooking pan aside. When ready to serve, whack the heat up under the chop pan, remove the fresh thyme sprigs if you've used them (the leaves will have fallen into the pan - leave them there)and mash the garlic down into the cooking juices. Once pan is hot and sizzling tip in a glass or so of red wine for 2 chops - more if you've cooked more. Stir and reduce to syrupy sauce and pour over the chops.
    Is v good and v easy.

I'm making the Pork Scallopine Perugina from October's CL for dinner tonight. It's a pretty easy/quick weeknight meal, and it's delicious! Unfortunately, I don't have the recipe handy or I would post it for you.

Another one which is too late for tonight: slather your chops with chopped garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and a bit of vinegar an let marinate in the fridge all day (better yet, overnight.) Cook quickly in hot pan (I don't know how thin your chops are) and when almost done, add a bit of water, broth or wine to deglaze the pan, then reduce contents and turn chops to coat. We serve this with rice and beans.

Another "too late" reply, but I love the curried orange pork chops that lhall posted. They're very quick and easy. My DH has even prepared them without supervision!

Another too late but my 2c - I love the Blackstrap Pork chops from the CL 2002 Annual (pg 255). They have a sweet taste and a bite from the pepper! They're a keeper for sure

Black Strap Pork Chops
    Yield: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS:
    1/3 c. molasses
    1 1/2 T apple cider vinegar
    3 T A1 steak sauce
    1/4 tsp ground allspice
    1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
    4 (6 oz) bone-in center cut pork chops (about 1/2 inch thick) (I use 4 4-oz boneless instead.)
    1/4 tsp kosher salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    cooking spray

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Combine the first five ingredients in a small bowl. Mix with a whisk and set aside.
    Sprinkle pork chops with salt and black pepper.
    Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium high heat.
    Add pork; cook 2 min on each side. Pour molasses mixture over chops and cook 2 more minutes.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
    Calories=220; Fat=5.7g; Protein=21.4g; Carb=19.4g; Friber=.1g; Chol=58mg; Iron=5.5mg; Sodium=414mg; Calcium=259mg