Community Message Boards

Thread: Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti

Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti

I had to pass this one along. I found it on the Food Network site, and tried it last night. IT WAS AWESOME! DBF, who says he doesn't like nuts, even asked for seconds! The chocolate, combined with the hazelnuts gave it a nice rich flavor, but not overwhelming.

This is definitely a keeper for me, and I plan on using them in my Christmas snack boxes this year. Hope you enjoy!

Jamie

Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti
    Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine

Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 50 minutes
    Yield: 30 biscotti

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2 large eggs
    1 cup blanched hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
    3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter and flour a large baking sheet.

In a bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl with an electric mixer beat together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until combined well. Stir in flour mixture to form a stiff dough. Stir in hazelnuts and chocolate chips.

On prepared baking sheet with floured hands from dough into two slightly flattened logs, each 12 inches long and 2 inches wide, and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Bake logs 35 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch. Cool biscotti on baking sheet 5 minutes.

On a cutting board cut biscotti diagonally into 3/4-inch slices. Arrange biscotti, cut sides down, on baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Cool biscotti on a rack Biscotti keep in airtight containers 1 week and , frozen, 1 month.

I was coming to search for this exact recipe! Thanks so much for sharing. I am making this and a cranberry pistachio one for Christmas gifts.

Could you post the recipe for the cranberry and pistachio biscotti? That sounds like another good one for the holiday.

Thanks!

Here ya go...I got this from allrecipes.

Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti

The red and green make a great Christmas cookie. Have used other nuts
    instead of pistachios with success. If your pistachios are salted, omit the 1/4
    teaspoon salt from the recipe. Prep Time: approx. 25 Minutes. Cook Time: approx.
    45 Minutes. Ready in: approx. 1 Hour 20 Minutes. Makes 3 dozen (36
    servings).
    Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by Gerry Meyer
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1/4 cup light olive oil
    3/4 cup white sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    2 eggs
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1 1/2 cups pistachio nuts

Directions
    1 Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
    2 In a large bowl, mix together oil and sugar until well blended. Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts, then beat in the eggs. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder; gradually stir into egg mixture. Mix in cranberries and nuts by hand.
    3 Divide dough in half. Form two logs (12x2 inches) on a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Dough may be sticky; wet hands with cool water to handle dough more easily.
    4 Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until logs are light brown. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
    5 Cut logs on diagonal into 3/4 inch thick slices. Lay on sides on parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake approximately 8 to 10 minutes, or until dry; cool.

I just took the chocolate ones out of the oven and they are fantastic. Thanks for the recipe! I used blanched almonds (the kind that look like sticks sort of) instead of hazlenuts. Yum!

I think I will do the cranberry ones tonight so I will post a review of those too.

I made the cranberry pistachio biscotti last year and really liked them except I used salted pistachios and (even tho I love salt) I wished I had used unsalted. The salt and the cranberries clashed IMO.

I got salted ones too. Maybe I will rinse them a little?

This is my favorite biscotti recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Double Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti -- 1 pt each

Recipe By :"123 Success Recipe Collection" by Weight Watchers Magazine
    Serving Size : 40 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies Lowfat

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3/4 cup hazelnuts -- chopped
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
    1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
    1 tablespoon instant espresso or coffee powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    2 egg whites
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350. Place the hazelnuts on a baking sheet; bake until light brown, about 8 minutes. Let cool. Line 2 large baking sheets with foil and spray the foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray. Adjust the oven racks to divide the oven into thirds.

2. In a food processor, combine 2 tablespoons of the hazelnuts, the flour, 2 tablespoons of the chocolate chips, the cocoa, espresso powder, baking soda and salt. Process until the nuts are finely ground; transfer the dry ingredients to a large bowl. In the same food processor ( no need to clean), combine the sugar, eggs, egg whites and vanilla until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Add to the dry ingredients. Stir in the remaining hazelnuts and chocolate chips.

3. Spoon one-fourth of the batter (about 3/4 cup) into a long rope, about 14" long and 1-1/2" wide, on one side of the baking sheet; repeat with the remaining batter, making 2 ropes on each baking sheet, with space in between. Bake, reversing baking sheets once, until firm, about 15 minutes; cool 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 300.

4. Place the logs on a cutting board. Cut with a serrated knife on the diagonal into 1/2" thick slices, making 80 biscotti. Place the slices upright on the baking sheets, 1" apart. Bake until the cut sides feel dry to the touch, 20-25 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.

Points per serving (2 biscotti): 1. Per serving: 75 calories, 3 g Total Fat, 1 g Saturated Fat, 11 mg Cholesterol, 53 mg Sodium, 12 g Carbohydrate, 1 g Dietary Fiber, 2g Protein, 8 mg Calcium.

These are great! Definitely worth the effort. I made them for my dad at Christmas time and he loved them. Couldn't tell they were a WW recipe. REG 6 shared by Kathy K.(kkent@fix.net), San Luis Obispo, CA

I would store these in a tin at room temp. They can also be frozen (but I don't find it necessary if they are used within a month) Jane

Yield:
    "80 biscotti"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 80 Calories; 3g Fat (33.2% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 9mg Cholesterol; 53mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : These cookies are excellent (and I don't usually like biscotti). I accidentally ground all of the nuts, but the recipe was still yummy. Since I only have a small food processor, I used my Kitchen Aid mixer For step 2 (after grinding the nuts with only 1/4 cup of the flour and all of the cocoa, coffee, baking soda, and salt in the small processor) --Jane
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Starbuck's gingerbread macadamia nut biscotti

I've been looking for a recipe for this biscotti available at Starbuck's this season. It is so good. I'd like some opinions on whether its as easy as just adding the macadamia nuts to the Ginger - Chocolate Chip Recipe CL 11/98 or would I need to add some more spices to make the ginger into 'gingerbread'? Please share your ideas. njc

Re: Starbuck's gingerbread macadamia nut biscotti

Originally posted by njc
    I've been looking for a recipe for this biscotti available at Starbuck's this season. It is so good. I'd like some opinions on whether its as easy as just adding the macadamia nuts to the Ginger - Chocolate Chip Recipe CL 11/98 or would I need to add some more spices to make the ginger into 'gingerbread'? Please share your ideas. njc
    I found this posted by ChocolateRose. You could always sub. macadamias for the almonds.

Gingerbread Biscotti

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Christmas 2002 Cookies

1 cup blanched almonds
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 pound butter
    1/2 cup dark molasses
    1/4 cup fresh minced ginger
    3 eggs
    3 cups flour
    1/2 tablespoon baking powder
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

Place almonds in a 8 to 9 inch square pan. Bake in a 350F. oven until golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool, coarsely chop, and set aside. In large bowl, with electric mixer, beat sugar, butter, molasses and ginger until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and almonds. Add to egg mixture; stir to blend. On two greased 12x15 inch baking sheets, use well-floured hands to pat dough into 4 flat loaves, spacing them evenly on sheets; each loaf should be about 1/2 inch thick, 2 inches wide and the length of the baking sheet. Bake at 350F. until browned at edges and springy to touch, about 25 minutes. Switch positions of pans halfway through baking. Let loaves stand on baking sheets until cool to touch, then cut into long, 1/2-inch thick diagonal slices. On baking sheets, arrange slices close together with cut side down. Return to oven until cookies are brown, 15 to 18 minutes longer. Switch positions of pans halfway through baking. Transfer biscotti to racks and let cool completely.

Here's another one.

Gingerbread Biscotti

Recipe By : posted by patriciae at CL BB
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Biscotti

2 1/2 C all purpose flour
    3 tsp baking powder
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/4 c finely minced crystallized ginger
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 cup butter -- softened
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 eggs
    2/3 toasted almonds -- pecans or walnuts.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix the first six ingredients (flour through cinnamon). In another bowl beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in vanilla and eggs. Stir in the flour mixture and nuts. Divide the dough in half and mold each half into a 12 x 2 inch strip on a foil linted baking sheet. Brush top with milk and sprinkle on sugar. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 300 degrees; cut strips diagonally into 1/2 inch slices. Palce flat on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes; turn over and bake 10 minutes more. Turn off the oven and allow to cool in the oven with the door slightly ajar . Makes about 3 dozen.