Community Message Boards

Thread: Pecan Pie in a Jar????

Pecan Pie in a Jar????

While on a shopping trip on the Friday after Thanksgiving my daughter and I went to Seattle for an overnight shopping frenzy. While at Williams Sonoma we saw a jar of Pecan pie filling. It sold for $20.00 and people were actually buying it. All you had to do was add three eggs and put into an unbaked pie shell. Now Pecan pie is a standard at our house and I can make them with my eyes closed, but, many people I talk to are afraid to do them. I think this would be a fun gift but wonder how the jar is sealed. I would love your ideas on this and wonder if anyone of you have done something like this or used it. I am grateful for any input you have.
    The difference between what I am and what I want to be is what I do.

Well, you could use this Apple Pie in a Jar as a go-by. Then attach the recipe to the sealed jar. The would probably need to be done in a hot water bath after filling.

Apple Pie In a Jar#57234
    by CookbookCarrie

This is from the Rinn UMC cookbook from a dear lady my family knew well. She was a good scandinavian who loved to cook and feed people. I love this recipe and have a few jars in my pantry all the time. Great for last minute desserts!

7 quarts peeled sliced cooking apples
    4 1/2 cups sugar
    1 cup cornstarch
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    10 cups water
    3 tablespoons lemon juice
    1. Peel and slice apples.
    2. Fill quart jars with apples leaving 1 inch head space.
    3. Be sure to pack the apples in there, put a few in and smosh down with the handle of a wooden spoon, then a few more and repeat.
    4. Make syrup by combining sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and water.
    5. Cook until thick.
    6. Add lemon juice.
    7. Pour syrup over apples in jar, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
    8. Be sure to run your plastic spatula around the inside of the jar to get the air bubbles out.
    9. Place the lids on and screw the rings down just finger tight.
    10. Process 20 minutes in hot water bath.

7 quarts
    1 hours ( 40 mins prep time, 20 mins cook time )
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

If you used this simple pecan pie recipe with the guidelines of the apple recipe above then you'd place the pecans in a sterilized jar. Then combine all ingredients, except for the eggs, in a saucepan, and cook until thickened, stirring constantly because of the cornstarch.

Lou's Blue Ribbon Pecan Pie
    - Family Favorite
    1 c. white corn syrup
    1 c. brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/3 c. melted butter
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 eggs slightly beaten
    1 1/2 c. pecan halves or chopped, toasted
    1 - 9 in. pie crust

1. Shell pecans, chop or leave whole.
    2. Fill quart jars with pecans leaving 1 inch head space.
    3. Be sure to pack the pecans in there, put a few in and smoosh down with the handle of a wooden spoon, then a few more and repeat.
    4. Make syrup by combining sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and water.
    5. Cook until thick.
    6. Pour syrup over apples in jar, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
    7. Be sure to run your plastic spatula around the inside of the jar to get the air bubbles out.
    8. Place the lids on and screw the rings down just finger tight.
    19. Process 10 minutes in hot water bath.

Hey...this looks good...

Caramel Maple Pecan Sauce
    1 3/4 cups light corn syrup
    2 cups maple syrup (or maple-flavored syrup)
    3/4 cup water
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2 cups coarsely chopped pecans, toasted

Directions:
    Combine the corn syrup, maple syrup, water and brown sugar in a 4-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Simmer for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the pecans and remove from the heat. Immediately fill hot half-pint or pint jars with the mixture, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar tops and threads clean. Place hot lids on jars and screw on rings. (See lid manufacturer's instructions) Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.

Yield: 3 pints

And this one sounds great, too, but maybe change up the ratio between cranberries and pecans?

Cranberry Cointreau Conserve

2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup water
    2 pounds fresh cranberries (about 8 cups)
    1/2 unpeeled orange, seeded and finely chopped
    1/2 cup Cointreau or Triple Sec
    1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions:
    Combine the sugar and water in a 6 to 8-quart saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil, stirring constantly, until the cranberries pop and the mixture thickens, about 7 to 10 minutes. Immediately fill hot half-pint or pint jars with the mixture, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Carefully run a non-metallic utensil down the inside of jars to remove trapped air bubbles. Wipe jar tops and threads clean. Place hot lids on jars and screw on rings. (See lid manufacturer's instructions) Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.

Yield: 6 to 8 half-pints or 3 to 4 pints
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thanks Sneezles, I really appreciate your input. I think I will try it just to see if it can be done, but more than that, that it can be done and still be as good as the freshly made ones. It just seems like an interesting idea. I was so shocked by seeing several people put them up on the counter and paying $20 each for them. Thanks again.
    The difference between what I am and what I want to be is what I do.