Community Message Boards

Thread: defrosting frozen egg yolks???

78704 - more than a zipcode, it's a lifestyle.

Question defrosting frozen egg yolks???

Anyone have tips on speeding up the process without ruining the yolks?

I am planning to make some lemon curd and a creme brulee with my stockpile of frozen yolks, and would like to get them both started sooner rather than later.

Can I use the micro? A warm water bath? Set them on the counter (insert picture of scary microbes here)...

Thanks!
    Kristin
    Your actions speak so loudly I can hardly hear you - Henry David Thoreau

I do a water bath on stuff all the time. Just be sure to keep the water tepid, barely warm. How long would they be on the counter if you left them there? Will you use them tonight or sooner?
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

The safest way is to defrost overnight in the fridge. If you really need to defrost quickly then you can run them under cold water.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I plan to use them asap. I'll try the water bath and keep a close eye on them. Or I guess I could put in a ziploc under running water... hmmm. I sense an experiment.

Thanks!

--K

I saw an experiment where they were talking about defrosting food (it was on some cooking show...i couldn't tell you which...they are all starting to blend now)

Anyway, they said that the safest AND fastest was was to run cold water. It was weird to see how fast it works. There was some long scientific reason why, but cold water bath was definitely the fastest.

Maura

Funny how those shows all run together. I had tons of thermodynamics classes but won't bore you with a bunch of heat transfer theory. But the more moecular collisions you have, the better. Running water means more molecules colliding. Still water has a medium number of collisions. Air, because it's much less dense, has a very small relative number of collisions. Also, the temperature differential is important - all these combine to explain why it can take 3 days to defrost a turkey in your refrigerator.

Anyways, back to the yolks. I put them in a ziploc, then in a bowl, and in the sink under a small amount of running cold water. They were usable within about 15 minutes... I didn't time it. 5 became Lemon Curd (yum!) and 2 became part of a corn bread pudding concoction.

Thanks!

I have never thought about freezing egg yolks. Learn something new at this site everyday

Yep - just put them individually into ice cube trays to freeze and then pile them all into a freezer ziploc after they've frozen. Works for the whites too...