Community Message Boards

Thread: Lobster dinner: Dessert suggestions?

Lobster dinner: Dessert suggestions?

We're having Christmas Eve dinner at my brother's and, as we live in Maine, having lobster at his little kids' request. Simple enough: Steam, serve with lemon and butter, a salad and a good glass of wine. No different than when we do it in the summertime, and it'll be great. (Can't beat the price, either, compared to the beef tenderloin I made last Christmas.)

I'm in charge of dessert, and what I'd usually do in summertime is the customary blueberry pie. Doesn't work for me in December, though; sure, I could do pies with frozen Maine blueberries, but it's not the same. Besides, since the meal will be so simple, I'd like to do something different for dessert. I think anything chocolate would be too rich.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking a citrus flavor might be refreshing. I'd love to go work in the test kitchen, but nothing's inspiring me at this point.

Eating well magazine had recipes for chocolate or lemon souffles that were outstanding.

You could make a tart citron as well if you are in the citrusy mood.

If you were thinking ultra lighter, maybe a granita...either coffee flavored or lemon.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

We made the Lemon Raspberry Tart from a Martha Stewart episode last week. We made individual tarts and my nephew liked them so much that he requested them again this week. Luckily the Driscoll raspberries have been on sale. It's creamy and tangy and a really refreshing dessert.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._24620,00.html

The other recipe that comes to mind is the Margarita Angel Cake from Cooking Light but that seems a little too light and summery.

Then there's also the famous Cooking Light Lemon Layer Cake.

What about a cranberry tart? Seasonal; it's got the berry thing happening. Maybe spiced, with oranges in it.

(I think I've seen something similar recently somewhere, which is why I think of this. Bon Appetit? The Fine Cooking baking supplement? I don't know any more. My table is loaded and I mean loaded with every book and magazine I own which contains any sort of seasonal recipe, and I've been through 'em all. )

Maybe you're thinking of the Craberry Lime Tart from the December Bon Appetit. It's caught my attention, too.

http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe...+tart&x=12&y=9

I thought that (as from curiosity I went back downstairs and leafed through the pile quickly) but no. It was something like a "spiced orange-cranberry tart" and the filling would probably be reminiscent of a cranberry mincemeat or chutney, that kind of spicing. I think it had Port in it, too.

Still, the BA one would be a very fine choice! Didn't someone here make it and give it a great review? Yes, it was clairea, here, she says it was nice and light...

I like the idea for a Cranberry tart.

But, if you're still thinking of something citrus-y, to me, a classic lobster dinner calls for a classic dessert, like Lemon Meringue Pie.

Maureen (kima) posted a recipe for lemon meringue pie recently that sounds great. I'm thinking of trying it soon. You can find it on this thread

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

I always go for a slice of key lime pie after lobster. Yumm.

These are great suggestions. Thank you, all of you, for replying. I love key lime pie, but incredibly, people with whom I supposedly share the same genes say it's too rich after lobster! Not me, though. Maybe I'll do one of those -- or the lemon meringue -- on the side.

The cranberry-lime tart sounds wonderful and festive. I feel a test session in the kitchen coming on. Thank you!

I have no idea if this would've been the tart of which I was thinking. Last year's holiday CLs are among the chaos on my table. Anyway. Jennifer, you may've already made up your mind, but here is a Cranberry Orange Tart. Which I'm posting just because, I found it (again?) just now while looking for something else, and thought of this thread. It got some very good reviews last year, too, I found as I searched, although some people found the filling boiled over.

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Cranberry-Orange Tart

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: November 2002 PAGE: 179

INGREDIENTS FOR 10 SERVINGS:
    Crust:
    1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
    1/3 cup ice water
    Cooking spray
    Filling:
    1/3 cup orange juice
    2-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup orange marmalade
    2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
    1 tablespoon grated orange rind
    1 (12-ounce) package fresh cranberries

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. To prepare crust, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt in a bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.

3. Sprinkle surface with ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time; toss with a fork until moist and crumbly (do not form a ball). Gently press mixture into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap. Cover and chill for 15 minutes.

4. Slightly overlap 2 lengths of plastic wrap on slightly damp surface. Unwrap and place chilled dough on plastic wrap. Cover dough with 2 additional lengths of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 14-inch circle. Place dough in freezer 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed.

5. Remove plastic wrap; fit dough into a 10-inch round removable-bottom tart pan coated with cooking spray. Fold edges under or flute decoratively.

6. To prepare filling, combine juice and cornstarch in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add remaining ingredients; stir well. Pour mixture into prepared pan.

7. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees (do not remove tart from oven); bake an additional 35 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack. Yield: 10 servings.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
    CALORIES 274 (27% from fat); FAT 8.2g (sat 4.4g, mono 2.2g, poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 2.5g; CARB 49.4g; FIBER 2.2g; CHOL 19mg; IRON 1.1mg; SODIUM 105mg; CALC 14mg

Wink

Thank you, Rose. This looks wonderfully easy. At the risk of sounding utterly lazy, do you think I could use one of those pre-made crusts? I have a phobia about pie crust.

Don't see why not, though after reading the reviews I'd say make sure it was deep dish, make two with the one filling recipe, or use one of the roll-out ones in your own deep dish. (Someone said the overflow on theirs was so bad it went right through the bottom of her removable tart pan and glued the thing together...)

I certainly would, specially considering my current track record... ... considering my current track record, I would be better just buying a Farmers' Market Cranberry Tart from Zehrs.