Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review - Curried Shrimp in Peanut Sauce

Hybrid View

Thumbs up Review - Curried Shrimp in Peanut Sauce

Tonight I made the Curried Shrimp with Peanut Sauce from the Jan/Feb '01 issue. Grace had given it a positive review on a misc. thread so I had to try it. It was outstanding! (A 9 out of 10 on my husband's rating scale!! Note: That is a High rating for him!) It may have been four servings but he inhaled three of them at one sitting and was looking for more!! A big hit in our house. Definately worth a try for those of you that like peanut sauce. If you aren't into shrimp, I think it would be great with chicken.

Peggy

Thumbs up

Peggy, I'll second that! Highly recommended!

I too would highly recommend this recipe! I made it for my dad, sister and husband-it made exactly 4 servings, and we all would have eaten more if there had been any! My dad called me today to ask for the recipe. It is a great sauce, not too strong on the curry or on the peanuts-a nice blend, and very easy to make too!

Glad to hear this was good. I have it on the menu for this week and now I may have to push it up a day or two...

Thumbs up

I finally made this. I used soba noodles (thanks to the person who suggested soba) and added a bit of cumin and some red-pepper flakes. Definitely a keeper in this house--and the sauce was easy with my stick blender.

Question

Typically, I am not much for peanuts in main course meals. Can anyone venture a guess on leaving them out? Thanks, -Kim

This has creamy peanut butter in the sauce, but no peanuts. If you don't like the taste of peanut butter, you probably won't like this dish. If you do, you are in for a treat.

Thanks Jessica! -Kim

I made this last night and we all enjoyed it but I thought my sauce was too thick. I thought I would try adding a little more chicken broth to thin it out.

Smile

Hi,
    I'm embarrassed to ask this, but...I have been wanting to try this recipe ever since I heard of it. Now that I can actually have dinner at home (quel luxury) I would like to make it tonight but don't have the issue with me. Could someone with Mastercook please post it so I can pick up the ingredients? I do appreciate it.
    Thanks and have a super evening.
    Natasha

Natasha! I hope I am not too late getting this to you. I want to try this one very soon, as well. Please let us know what you think of it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Curried Shrimp in Peanut Sauce

Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine. Jan/Feb 2001. Page: 120.
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Fish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    8 ounces uncooked fettuccine
    2/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    1 piece (1/2-inch) peeled fresh ginger, thinly
    sliced
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 1/2 cups sliced green onions
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
    1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Directions.

1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

2. While pasta cooks, place broth and next 5 ingredients (broth through ginger) in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth.

3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions, curry, and garlic; saute 3 minutes. Add shrimp; cook 6 minutes or until shrimp are done. Stir in peanut sauce; cook for 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Serve over pasta, and sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup shrimp in peanut sauce, 1 cup pasta, and 1-1/2 teaspoons cilantro).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 49 Calories; 4g Fat (60.1% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 273mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : Preparation time: 13 minutes Cooking time: 12 minutes

Ask your supermarket to have your shrimp peeled when you arrive. Many will devein it, too. If peanut butter in the sauce is new to you, get ready for a tasty surprise.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Smile

Oh, Laura, thank you! You're not too late; I'm still nowhere close to having dinner. Thanks again and I will definitely post a review.

Hope all is well with you.

Smile

Regarding the thick sauce, I uped the broth to 1 C from 2/3 and it was fine. I did note that it was starting to thicken - the recipe says to add the sauce only for 1 minute. It looks like that is a critical step. SO and I both thought this was a great recipe.

Talking

I tried this dish this evening on my girlfriend and it was just great! I added the cumin and red pepper and it really spiced it up! My sauce was a little thick, but I think I cooked it too long! Think I'll add more broth next time (soon) when I make it for DH. He's away on business and when I told him what I was making for dinner he sounded so sad to be missing it! It definitely is a keeper!

Question

There are too many great reviews not to try this. But I do have a question. My cilantro doesn't last in my fridge for long. Any comments on keeping this fresh for a few days? TIA. -KimD

donleyk-

in regards to keeping cilantro fresh, put it in a glass of water, as you would some fresh flowers. put a plastic bag over the leaves and store in the fridge. it will last a lot longer if stored this way. hope this helps you.

Thumbs up

I made this tonight and my DH gave it an 8.5. That's a very high score for him. We both thought it was great! I used 1 cup of chix broth, based on other's comments and the sauce was just fine. It will be at repeater at our house. I didn't have fresh cilantro to top it off because it didn't look too fresh today at the supermarket. But, I'll use it next time.

Cool

I made this too and thought it was good, but it didn t blow me away. I will probably make it again, though, mostly because it s so easy and FAST. I used rice noodles and sprinkled peanuts on top. The sauce seemed to come out fine with the amount of broth indicated in the recipe.

P.S. That being said, this morning we were out of milk, so the leftovers were part of breakfast. Not bad at all!

[This message has been edited by Natasha (edited 01-26-2001).]

I made this with chicken breast and added brocoli and served it over rice. It was very tasty indeed. Next time I will make it with the fettucine as directed. Since I served it over rice we did have quite a bit of "sauce" to go with it. A definite repeater!

goldilocks,

Thanks so much for the tip. I will try that when I get home.

I will also have a review Monday since I am making this tonight!

This was absolutley delicious. I used light peanut butter (because it was all I had) and it was fine. The sauce was fine because I didn't cook it too long. I think I'll try adding vegetables next time and maybe serving it over rice...

i made this for dinner on wed. night and it was very easy and pretty good - i used chix instead of shrimp and added a little extra broth to thin it out a little. will probably make it again with red pepper and cumin to spice it up a little more.

jen

Thumbs up

This was a hit at home. DH gave it a 9. Left overs were good, too. It came together fast, will be a good week day recipe. May try it with chicken next time. - KimD

I finally got around to making this last night. It really lived up to the great reviews. Very tasty.

Definitely needed the extra broth and red pepper. We served it over pad thai rice noodles.

Karen! Thanks so much for reviving this thread- I completely missed this recipe the first time around. I just made the "Fettucine with Finger-Licking Peanut Sauce" from April '01 on MOnday night (AGAIN!) and used shrimp for the first time. This recipes sounds somewhat similar (not as spicy, no coconut milk), but DH and I loved the shrimp/peanut sauce/pasta combination. I just added this to the list!
    If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in! Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends.

You're welcome! I'll have to try the Fettucini with Finger-licking Peanut Sauce soon too.

Yes, I remember making this last year, and it was good. The only reason I didn't keep making it over and over is that CL published a revision of the nutritional info in the original recipe- the original recipe nutritional information was erroneous. does anyone remember all that? It turns out the recipe was quite high in fat and calories, so I side-lined it for a while. Now, I cannot find the post where CL revised the nutritional info.... and I did not save it into Mastercook either. Does anyone have that?

It may not be important to some, but I am really watching my calories and fat, so this one went by the wayside for me. I thought others might be in the same boat.
    Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

- Phillipians 2

da@# it! I knew it was too good to be true!

I remember the discrepancy as well, but I'm not sure where the corrected information was posted. Check the March issue last year, maybe the "Letters" section, to see if there is a correction. I did a search on the BB and didn't find anything either. But I recall that a friend on WW said there was no way she could fit this dish into her program anymore.

If I recall correctly, and my memory could be failing here, but it came to 20+ grams of fat per serving, and like 500++ calories or something like that. I don't have time to enter it into Mastercook right now, but maybe someone already has the info. It really did put the recipe on a "good but don't indulge often" list for me!
    Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

- Phillipians 2