Community Message Boards

Thread: Where can I find crystallized ginger?

Where can I find crystallized ginger?

I am wanting to make the Lemon-Ginger Biscotti, and searched high and low at the grocery store last night. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am thinking about just omitting it from the recipe if I can't find it ASAP!!

Thanks!
    Just married on August 30th!! Currently maintaing on WW since 11/26/03!!!

This time of year, at all my local grocers, it's in dishes with the lurid cherries and the candied peel. Some stores also carry it in bulk year-round, in the general area of the rest of the dried fruits.

You may also be able to find it in the baking section, with the bags of almonds and coconut and such.

Oh yeah -- if you can't find it, you may want to have a look either in the baking section, or with the jams/preserves, and see if you can find ginger root jarred in syrup. This would work as well; just pick the chunks of root out of the syrup and chop.

Oh, another "oh-yeah" -- if you can't find either, I would pick another biscotto recipe. Candied ginger is pretty assertive stuff; you won't have ANYTHING like what the recipe intends if you leave it out.

You may find it on the spice shelves too, next to the regular ginger. I order mine from Penzey's, but that may not be an option for you now. Oh, Cost Plus also has it.

I bought it at my local grocery store hiden among the other McCormick's spices.

Paula

I also suggest the bottled spice area. it's expensive in the tiny jars but you should try it to see if you like it first. I use lots & usually get it from King Arthur in large bags. Asian stores usually have it too.

Penzey's has it--you could mail order.

Laura
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Asian aisle of your grocer; health food store bulk bins; confectioner's stores if you have a specialty store like that.
    I think Williams-Sonoma also sells it in jars.

I get the dark chocolate covered crystalized ginger..YUUUUMMMM
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Guest Guest
    I usually see it in the spice section. These days, if I can't find something at the store, I always ask for help. Sometimes items are placed in sections that I would never think of looking in.

King Arthur flour catalog also has it. www.kingarthurflour.com
    Bakers have the best buns.
    "Cookie Bearchild" by Boyds Bear

Trader Joe's sells it in bags in the area with the dried fruits and nuts. I always buy the "baker's cut," which is basically little chopped squares, but I think there's a larger size as well. It's pretty cheap for A LOT of ginger.

Thanks everyone!! Back to the grocery store for me!! Unfortunately, the one that I went to yesterday had a measly spice section. I will venture over to the better one today and see what they have!!

You might also find it at TJMaxx, HomeGoods or Marshalls. I just bought some labeled "Australian Crystallized Ginger" by "The Ginger People" at Winners.

Is there such a thing as candied ginger and is it different than crystallized ginger?

I had what I thought was crystallized ginger in my pantry. I got it from Whole Foods in one of the bulk bins. But when I used it in the Lemon Ginger Biscotti, I had a really hard time cutting into fine pieces. It was just so sticky and it all balled up when I cut it. I tried to pull it apart the best I could, and the biscotti turned out pretty good, but the ginger flavor was much stronger than I expected from what everyone said in their reviews. It was a little too strong for my taste. And every once in a while you'd get a bigger chunck of ginger and that wasn't so good.

I saw "crystallized ginger" in a McCormick's jar in the spice section the other day and it looked much more dehydrated. Am I using the wrong stuff? If not, how did you guys get your ginger chopped up really well?

Thanks!
    - Rebecca

I have bought it form Willimas Sonoma before for about $10 per pound

I have also bought it form the Asian market too - a lot cheaper, ad same results
    SueBeeT

"Dehydrated" means it's not so fresh! It's supposed to be moist, tender, sticky, gooey.

And strong. If you find it overwhelming, cut back a bit.

Here is a tip from an Alice Medrich cookie recipe that might help you separate your ginger and get it more distributed. First, mince as best you can with a sharp knife. Yes, it will all glom together -- just keep mincing, this way and that.

Then take the minced ginger, put it in a little bowl, and add some or all of the sugar from the recipe. Rub it together with your fingertips, almost like a pastry dough, until the bits of ginger are all separated. That helps.

At the grocery stores around here it is usually in the asian foods aisle.

I actually found some at the Super Wal-mart here. It was in the spices section. This particular store has a large Hispanic customer base so I have noticed that I can find things here that I can't even find at my local Kroger's which is about 10 miles up the highway in an adjacent town. If you get a chance, can you post the recipe for the Lemon-Ginger Biscotti? It sounds yummy!

Originally posted by RGreen
    I had what I thought was crystallized ginger in my pantry. I got it from Whole Foods in one of the bulk bins. But when I used it in the Lemon Ginger Biscotti, I had a really hard time cutting into fine pieces. It was just so sticky and it all balled up when I cut it. I tried to pull it apart the best I could, and the biscotti turned out pretty good, but the ginger flavor was much stronger than I expected from what everyone said in their reviews. It was a little too strong for my taste. And every once in a while you'd get a bigger chunck of ginger and that wasn't so good.
    This is what the crystallized ginger I've bought from Central Market is like as well - very gummy and sticky, almost like big chunks of ginger-flavored gumdrops.

Originally posted by CompassRose

Here is a tip from an Alice Medrich cookie recipe that might help you separate your ginger and get it more distributed. First, mince as best you can with a sharp knife. Yes, it will all glom together -- just keep mincing, this way and that.

Then take the minced ginger, put it in a little bowl, and add some or all of the sugar from the recipe. Rub it together with your fingertips, almost like a pastry dough, until the bits of ginger are all separated. That helps.
    That is a GREAT tip! I am so glad I opened this thread! Thanks!
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

Around here its in the dried fruit section like rasins, prunes,dried apricots,etc. Some stores in the produce area. Also all health food stores will have it. I love it for a snack!

Here you go:

Lemon-Ginger Biscotti

Seal these crunchy cookies in a tin, and give them with your recipient's favorite coffee, tea, or bottle of port. Or pile some biscotti in a jumbo latte cup with the recipe tied to the handle.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
    2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    3 large eggs
    Cooking spray
    1 tablespoon water
    1 large egg white
    1 tablespoon sugar

Preheat oven to 350.
    Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and the next 4 ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in crystallized ginger. Combine rind, juice, and whole eggs; add to flour mixture, stirring until well blended (dough will be crumbly). Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 7 or 8 times. Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a 9-inch-long roll. Place rolls 6 inches apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; flatten each roll to a 1-inch thickness. Combine water and egg white, and brush over rolls. Sprinkle rolls evenly with 1 tablespoon sugar.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove rolls from baking sheet; cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Cut each roll diagonally into 15 (3/4-inch) slices. Carefully stand slices upright on baking sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 325 bake 20 minutes (cookies will be slightly soft in the center but will harden as they cool). Remove from baking sheet; cool completely on a wire rack.

Yield: 2 1/2 dozen (serving size: 1 biscotto)

CALORIES 77 (7% from fat); FAT 0.6g (satfat 0.2g, monofat 0.2g, polyfat 0.1g); PROTEIN 1.8g; CARBOHYDRATE 16.1g; FIBER 0.3g; CHOLESTEROL 21mg; IRON 0.6mg; SODIUM 70mg; CALCIUM 6mg;

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2003
    Dianne

I bought my recent batch at a health food store, but usually go to an asian market. It's so yummy on ice cream!
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

I made the crystallized ginger-flavored cranberry sauce (from this year or last year's T'giving issue CL) with my Kroger-bought $10 bottle of the stuff; didn't make that big a difference. Wouldn't make it again. But a friend also pointed me to the health food store to save $$ next year. Funny--not the place one generally saves money!

Well..I went to Hannaford's yesterday and found it in their bulk section of the health food. It was 10.00 a lb and it tastes pretty good They came in big chunks..so thanks for the tip on mincing it!!

I will let you all know ohw the biscotti comes out!!

Glad you were able to find it as there really is no replacement for it. I find that spraying the knife with Pam or just rubbing oil on it, makes the job of cutting it up easier as it won't stick.