Community Message Boards

Thread: Need help with a 15 lb. Prime Rib

Red face Need help with a 15 lb. Prime Rib

I'm hosting a Christmas Eve potluck and I'll be cooking the Prime Rib my mom got as part of her bonus. How long should I allow? I have an old, large enamel roaster with a rack, will that work? Any general tips/tricks? Does anyone have a killer recipe?

I've made this one before and it got good reviews from those who feasted:

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

ROAST PRIME RIB AU POIVRE

Recipe By : Bon Apptit December 1998
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :3:00
    Categories : Meat

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    9 pounds prime rib beef roast (about 4 ribs) -- excess fat trimmed
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    4 teaspoons minced garlic
    2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon mixed whole peppercorns -- coarsely crushed
    1/3 cup shallots -- minced
    3 1/2 cups Canned beef broth
    1/3 cup Cognac or brandy

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 450F. Place beef, fat side up, in shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle beef with salt. Mix mustard and garlic in small bowl. Spread mustard mixture over top of beef. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons crushed peppercorns over mustard mixture.

Roast beef 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325F. Roast until meat thermometer inserted into center of beef registers 125F. for medium-rare, tenting loosely with foil if crust browns too quickly, about 2 hours 45 minutes. Transfer beef to platter. Tent with foil to keep warm.

Pour pan juices into 2-cup glass measuring cup (do not clean pan). Freeze juices 10 minutes. Spoon fat off top of pan juices, returning 1 tablespoon fat to roasting pan. Reserve juices.

Melt fat in same roasting pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and saut until tender, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan, about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Add canned beef broth, then Cognac (liquid may ignite). Return pan to heat and boil until liquid is reduced to 2 cups, about 15 minutes. Add pan juices and remaining 1 teaspoon crushed peppercorns. Transfer pan juices to sauceboat.

Carve roast and serve with juices.

Serves 8.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 10 Calories; less than one gram Fat (15% calories from fat); 0g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 48mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 1/2 Vegetable

NOTES : White, black, green and pink peppercorns add wonderful flavor to this very special prime rib. If possible, search out a butcher who carries dry-aged beef-it's more tender, flavorful and juicy than the non-aged variety. A full-bodied California Cabernet Sauvignon or French Bordeaux is the perfect wine to serve. As for vegetables, mix butter and tarragon with cooked baby carrots and green beans for a delicious accompaniment.

_____

Lisa,
    I've never roasted a prime rib as large as 15 lbs, but I figure 27 minutes/pound for rare, 34 mins for medium rare. I roast it at 325, and it's always delicious: fat side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. There's not a whole lot of grease that comes off of it.
    Prime Rib is a good enough cut usually that it's hard to make it inedible. I've never used a recipe, just a meat chart. I'll be interested to see what others say.

Sarah
    Lacey: So now that Superman is done at the Iron Fortress, is he going to spin his web of justice and return to the Batcave?
    Brent: You don't read many comic books, do you?
    -Corner Gas

Bump

Gail? Sandy? Beuller?

I have cooked a prime rib, but it has been a while. I don't remember its size, but the butcher told me something like this.

Put it in a 500 degree oven for like 30 minutes, turn off the oven and leave the oven door CLOSED for another set amount of time (so many minutes per pound). After that time, take it out of the oven, leave it set before slicing, and it has ALWAYS been perfect.

Let me know if you want me to contact my butcher and get you the details on a 15# roast.

Julie
    Julie

Hi Lisa,

I personally have never cooked prime rib before, but I've done some searching (which you've probably done already; it's not the first time I've been redundant )

Here's a site from epicurious.com that has a bunch of prime rib recipes - most (if not all) call for smaller roasts, but of course the roasted garlic and horseradish recipe in particular caught my eye - and it got high ratings, too.

Some info from Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything, which might prove to be helpful.

Prime Rib - My favorite cut of beef for roasting; like leg of lamb, it's so big that if you cook the deepest center to rare, you are also going to wind up with spots that are medium and those that are well done, pleasing everyone. And prime rib is so juicy that even well done (not overcooked, just well done) meat is tender and moist. If you want the best roast, make a special request for the small end (the 12th through the 7th ribs) and ask the butcher - even a supermarket butcher can do this - to cut it to order for you, removing the short ribs; you want what's called a "short" roast.

If you are serving four to six people, buy three or four ribs (higher numbers are better, so look for ribs twelve through ten, or nine); if you're serving more, add another rib for every two people, unless you want to serve gargantuan portions. I usually buy a three-rib roast for up to six people and have leftovers, but I believe in serving lots of side dishes when I make a roast so no one is tempted to eat a pound of meat. For rare meat, figure about fifteen to twenty minutes per pound roasting for any prime rib roast, regardless of the size, but see the recipe for details.

A word about roasts and doneness: All beef is rare at 125F (120F for really rare); there are noticeable differences in meat color for each 5 difference in temperature. I'd never cook anything behond 155F, although some cooks suggest cooking roast beef to 170F for well done. Large roasts will rise at least 5 in temperature between the time you remove them from the oven and the time you carve them, so bear that in mind as well. Remember, too, that cutting into a piece of meat to check its doneness is far from a sin; it's one of those things that everyone does but no one talks about. So if you're at all in doubt, cut into the middle or take a slice from the end. Your presentation will not be as beautiful, but if the meat is perfectly cooked, no one will care.

Okay now Lisa, I'm going to post his recipe for Prime Rib Roast for a Small Crowd, but then there are instructions for what to do with a bigger cut of meat.

Prime Rib Roast for a Small Crowd - Makes about 6 servings
    Time: about 1 hours, largely unattended

This is a simple roasting technique: high heat to sear the meat, lower heat to cook it through. If you want a really crisp exterior, turn the heat back to 450F for a few minutes right at the end of cooking; this won't affect the internal temperature too much.

1 (3-rib) roast, about 5 lbs., trimmed of excess but not all fat
    salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    1 or 2 garlic cloves (optional)
    1 cup red wine, stock or water

1) Bring meat to room temperature by removing it from the refrigerator at least an hour before cooking, preferably two. Preheat oven to 450F.
    2) Place the meat, bone side down, in a large roasting pan. Season it with salt and pepper. If you like garlic, peel the cloves and cut them into tiny slivers; use a boning or paring knife to poke small holes in the meat and insert the garlic into them.

3) Place the roast in the oven and cook for 15 minutes, undisturbed. Turn the heat down to 350F and continue to roast for about 1 hour; check in several places with a meat thermometer. When no spot checks in at under 125F (120F if you like your meat really rare and your guests are of the same mentality), the meat is rare. Cook another 5-10 minutes if you like it better done, then check again, but in no case let the temperature of the meat go above 155F.

4) Remove the meat from the oven. Pour off all but a few tablespoons of fat and place the roasting pan over a burner set to high. Add the liquid and cook, stirring and scraping up any brown bits, until it is reduced by half. Slice the roast and serve, splashing a little of the sauce on the meat platter and passing the rest at the table.

Prime Rib for a Big Crowd: With bigger roasts, 5 ribs or more, make sure to allow plenty of time to let the meat reach room temperature. In Step 2, use more garlic if you like. In Step 3, increase initial browning time to 20 minutes. After that, cooking instructions remain the same, and cooking time will be only marginally longer, but be sure to use an instant-read thermometer in several different places to check the meat. Increase the liquid in Step 4 to at least 2 cups.

<whew>

Okay, there you go sweetie. I don't know if this stuff is "gospel" or not, but it's all I could find amongst my library about cooking a gargantuan cut of meat. I hope this helps (and didn't bore you in the process)!

Good luck!!

OMG Sandy!! Your poor fingers must have blisters from all that typing. Thank you, thank you!!!
    xoxoxoxoxxo