Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitute for Monterey Jack Cheese

Substitute for Monterey Jack Cheese

I am making an appetizer that calls for Monterey Jack Cheese which I thought I had and don't. What cheese could I use as a substitute as I can't quite recall the taste of the Monterey Jack - it's called a "Senior's moment". Thanks in advance.

Kind of like mild Cheddar in taste with maybe a touch of Havarti, but more of a texture of "store" (i.e. packaged) Mozzarella. At least, that's what I've found it to taste like; mind, I've never had any but cheapie "store" M.J. cheese, either.

I'd think any sort of mild white cheese would do.

Its a very mild cheese. I would think you could substitute muenster cheese, string cheese, maybe even havarti.

Just checked foodsubs.com. They suggest Substitutes: Muenster OR Gouda OR Bel Paese OR Samsoe
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Brick should be ok too.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

My first choice would be Mozzerella, second is Colby.

What are you making?
    Dianne

Wadja end up using, Barb?
    For me, jack cheese is a big waste of fat and calories, as it has almost no discernable flavor. I've also given up on mozzarella (except the fresh stuff!). I do use pepper jack in Mexican-type casseroles, though. But I guess, as Dianne points out, it depends on recipe.

Thanks everyone for your help. I ended up using old cheddar cheese as I had lots of it. I was trying out a new recipe - Spinach-Artichoke party cups. They were absolutely delicious and easy as well.

Originally posted by Barb856
    I was trying out a new recipe - Spinach-Artichoke party cups. They were absolutely delicious and easy as well.
    Ooooh, those sound wonderful! Has the recipe been posted yet?

Here is the recipe:

Spinach-Artichoke Party Cups

72 small wonton wrappers
    1 14 oz. can artichoke hearts drained and finely chopped
    1 10 oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed & well drained
    2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese (I used old cheddar)
    1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 cup mayonnaise
    2 cloves crushed garlic

Preheat oven to 325. Spray mini muffin pan lightly with nonstick spray. Press one wonton wrapper into each cup. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Bake about 9 minutes (I only baked 4 minutes) until light golden brown. Remove shells and set aside to cool. Repeat with remaining wonton wrappers.

Meanwhile combine artichoke hearts, spinach, cheeses, mayonnaise and garlic in medium bowl, mix well. (I just put it all in the food processor and that worked well)

Fill wonton cups with spinach-artichoke mixture (about 2 tsps.) Place filled cups on baking sheet and bake about 7 minutes or until heated through (I baked 5 minutes). Serve immediately.

Enjoy!

Thanks Barb! Those look delicious! Very similar to an appetizer I make, but the filling is rolled up in puff pastry and sliced into pinwheels and baked. Yum!

Barb (or anybody), do you think pepper jack would be good in these?

I would absolutelty use pepper jack!
    But then, consider the source.