Community Message Boards

Thread: Torsk? Is this the same thing as cod?

Question Torsk? Is this the same thing as cod?

I bought some great looking fish the other day. It is wrapped in plastic that says COD but the outside of the package says Torsk. So, my question is this? Are they one and the same? Is torsk inferior Cod? Anyone have any idea?
    TIA,
    Heather

Arrow

TORSK?
    The body and head profile are that of a typical codfish. However, the Torsk is easily recognizable from any other member of this family, by the simple fact that it has a single dorsal fin. This has a long base, running from the pectoral fin to the caudal fin, to which it is joined, as is the shorter based anal fin. The jaws are approximately equal in length, with the lower sporting a chin barbel that is almost the same length as the eye diameter. The back is a brownish grey, blending into the greyish brown of the sides, and white of the belly. The fins are trimmed in white with a dark or black band beneath.

It seems you could go ahead and cook it like you would cod.

Vanessa, fish expert or are you Norwegin or something?

Talking

WOW, Vanessa! Thanks! Was that just knowledge you had in your head or did you have to look that up somewhere ;-) Have you ever eaten Torsk, or has anyone for that matter??

I've eaten torsk, scrod and cod and if any of the three were served to me, I wouldn't be able to tell which it is -- if, indeed there is any difference. All are good baked, broiled or fried. Different or one in the same, they sure beat lutefisk!!!
    Karen