Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a KA STAND MIXER now!!!!

Cool I have a KA STAND MIXER now!!!!

Oh joy and happiness! It happened to me! My Mum bought me a stand mixer for an early birthday present! I am sooo excited!

It's just the basic tilt-head 4 1/2 quart size, in white, but it's perfect! My DH commented that he is surprised that I haven't made anything with it yet (too many holiday leftovers right now ). However, the first thing I did was make a place of honor for it on my counter!

I just had to share with everyone! HOORAY!

(And for Christmas she gave me the CL 2004 Annual! What a swell Mum I have!)

Congrats!

I received one from DH= for xmas. I was VERY surprised as he is gift giving challenged. I haven't used mine either.....yet!

I got one too!

For my birthday (the 22nd) I got the mixer (a 5 qt Artisan in Imperial Gray) and for Christmas I got attachments and a cover.

Yay!

Yay for you!

I got a 5 qt Artisan mixer for Christmas, as well. And it's pink, my favorite color!! So far I've used it once making coffee cake, but I'm planning on making cookies tomorrow with it!

Ladies- You know you need to name them, right? I learned last month from this BB that these things need to be named! I have the stand mixer and the 11-cup FP, each in cobalt blue, and I call them Lucy and Ethel, the Kitchen Sisters. Now, what are you going to call these beauties?
    No matter how you slice the baloney, there are always two sides!

You are so very lucky!!!

I thought there was a KA stand mixer under the tree for me from my inlaws-- I was SO sure......after the gifts came (we live far from them) and I had no idea what was in such a big heavy box, I thought could it be???? Could it be, they have bought me a KA? Then one day I was walking through Filene's and passing the KA display I saw the boxes. This had me convinced that it was a KA because the boxes were about the same size.

Alas, I opened it and it was a .........
    sewing machine.

I don't sew, but I suppose I will learn. It would be nice to be able to hem pants myself. It is a nice gift, but a little bit of a letdown after I talked myself into it being a KA (completely my own fault).

My father, however, did get me a red 11 cup KA food processor which I am utter love with!!!!! I have already shredded many potatoes and made my own pizza dough with it, which we then cooked on the pizza stone my brother gave us.

It's so fun to have new toys!

-Kim

Originally posted by donnamp14
    Ladies- You know you need to name them, right?

Name them? I haven't even named my bike yet. Great, more pressure! I'll start thinking.......

Woo hoo! I'm excited to say I am among the ranks of KA stand mixer owners now, too! I just picked mine up today- DH & I got a gift certificate for Xmas and he asked "If it was up to you, what would you get with it?" Of course, I replied "Kitchen Aid Artisan mixer in cobalt blue!" He said to go for it! He knows how long I've wanted one.

Now I have to think of a name?? Hmmmm... I'll get back to you on that. I didn't check (because I didn't know you had to name it) but is there a thread on this topic yet?? If not, who's going to start it?

By the way, did anyone get an offer inside the box for a free juicer attachment and potholders (or something like that)? I saw it in an open box at the store but when I got mine home, no such offer. :mad: Not that it's a huge deal, but free stuff is free stuff! If anyone has this, is there a code, phone # or website where one could obtain such goodies?

Anyway, I'm honored to finally be one of the KA kult!
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

I too received the KA mixer for Christmas. I was so excited to open it up and find the imperial gray 5-qt Artisan !!! I jumped up, cleared a space on the counter, plugged it in and....nothing but a bad grinding sound and the smell of burnt motor. I turned it off fast and checked the blade. Turned it back on...same thing. :mad:

I called KA and they said that sometimes if they mixers sit in the store for an extended period of time, the oil will settle in the bottom and the motor will have nothing to "make it go."

So....my new present is going back to KA and they are sending a new one. One of you gals mix up something in my honor while I sit and ponder the broken mixer on my kitchen counter.

Originally posted by Rottlover
    I too received the KA mixer for Christmas. I was so excited to open it up and find the imperial gray 5-qt Artisan !!! I jumped up, cleared a space on the counter, plugged it in and....nothing but a bad grinding sound and the smell of burnt motor. I turned it off fast and checked the blade. Turned it back on...same thing. :mad:

I called KA and they said that sometimes if they mixers sit in the store for an extended period of time, the oil will settle in the bottom and the motor will have nothing to "make it go."

So....my new present is going back to KA and they are sending a new one. One of you gals mix up something in my honor while I sit and ponder the broken mixer on my kitchen counter.
    That's rotten luck! Even though my KA is about 4 years old I will mix up batch of Brown Sugar-Banana Cakes today in your honor. Hopefully it won't be very long before your new one arrives and you will be baking up a storm. Take care!
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

I got one too!!!! I am so excied. We had to take our electric can opener down to make room for it on the counter where I wanted it, but this just gives me an excuse to go out and buy the can opener attachment!!!

Congrats to everyone! I feel like I've joined an exclusive club right now...rolleyes:

Rottlover, I'm so sorry about your disappointment! What a bummer! I'm going to check my motor after I get off the BB and before I throw the boxes away!

I was already eyeing up some of the accessories like extra bowls. A bowl for just eggwhites and whipping cream could come in very handy.

I'm supposed to name it!?! Hooboy, DH is really going to think I'm nutty now! I'm going to have to think on this one!

How about "Kathy Kitchen Aid," "Molly Mixer" or "Suzie Stand Mixer"??

I have a lot of experience with naming inanimate objects - my parents always named the cars. My mom now drives "Sally Sentra." As if that isn't weird enough, my friend's mom not only names the cars, she names the trees and bushes in their back yard.

Of course we have to name them! I learned that from this very board.

Mine is "The Duchess".

I've completely gone to the dark side.

I got one too! Although I am not sure why I have the 6 quart one -- I am feelling the pressure to "make big things"!

Plain ole white which is fine with me. We are planning on building a house in the next year, so I am glad I won't have to decorate my kitchen around my yet-to-be-named mixer!

Also got some attachements since they were on sale last week, but have yet to try mine out. Just moved before the holidays and have yet to unpack anything!

Maria

A. was going to get me one last xmas, but he hinted strongly, and we talked about it, and decided that Now was Not the Time. (The Time would be one in which there'd be a place for it, somewhere...)

I don't know if I want a KitchenAid though. My mother has one, really old, don't even know the brand (it used to be HER mother's) and it has a feature I would looooove that the KA does not (as far as I've been able to find out)... TWO sizes of bowls! There's the giant-size bowl, or you can ratchet it down, and use a small bowl. I don't think I make enough bulk-size schtuff to need the humungous KA, but I sure as heck would need the heavy-duty motor.

Anyway, congratulations to all of you on your new babies! Of COURSE they need names -- like cars and cats! (What would I name mine? Spin Doctor maybe.)

Another proud new KA mixer owner checking in - mine's a refurbished Epicurean in plain ol' white (yes, vanilla is my favorite ice cream flavor too). However, I didn't realize the brute was going to be so darned big! (I think it might be getting a guy's name - how about Butch?) DS and I are going to make a batch of jumbo oatmeal cookies with it tomorrow - can't wait to try it out!

So, you're not disappointed to get a mixer instead of sparklies from the hubbie?
    Margaret

The only good present the Evil Ex ever gave me, amidst a raft of silly jewellery and lingerie and suchlike useless trinkets, was my Cuisinart food processor... still in use, where everything else was pretty much dismissed after the token "it's lovely" first wearing.

Practical gifts for me. A. always gets me great presents -- for my birthday last year he got me a Miele vacuum cleaner.

Congrats to all new owners of KA's! I rec'd "Ruby" the day after Thanksgiving as an early present from DH. Then on Christmas morn he and DS#2 gave me the slicer/shredder attachement! I have had so much fun! Enjoy!!

Patti

I joined the ranks of proud KitchenAid owners too this Christmas and am completely at a loss as to what to name it. It's white and sparkly and sitting on my counter nameless. I joke with my son that I'm the Queen, so maybe Princess? I'll have to think about this one!

Gratz!

Mine are Ethel, Louise and Molly, after my mother and both grandmothers who to me were three of the greatest cooks.

Mine came from a garage sale, she's avocado green circa 1973, I just love her. I keep her downstairs and as I have to carry her up I started calling her Big Bertha.

I figure the exercise of carrying her works off some of the calories from all the baking I do.

I also have joined the ranks. My DH got me a 6-quart professional for the holidays. The store only had white, so we returned it and used the store credit online to order one in imperial gray. I am still waiting and am looking so forward to using it. I better think of a good name for my new "friend".

Originally posted by donnamp14
    Ladies- You know you need to name them, right? I learned last month from this BB that these things need to be named!
    I'd been thinking of Susie, because she's pink and all. Or Lulie. I think, though, that I've decided on Susie. Never know, if I one day I got another one, I could always name her Lulie. But that won't be for a long time.

The juicer with the KA is not worth it, even if it is free. It attaches at the front and so the juice drips down, but it also sprays everywhich way. I gave my attachment to goodwill and bought a regular juicer which works beautifully.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Mimeea, I gave my daughter the pink KA last year. She named it "Rose". It is SO beautiful on her counter, sitting on a pretty pink towel. I have an almond one from from 1975 (or so) and it has been nameless all these years.

ClaraB-I got 'mixed up' with a guy named Butch many years ago. (Sigh......). I think that is a great name for your strong mixer! (although, I couldn't get by with that name in my house now! ) Sue

We are planning on building a house in the next year, so I am glad I won't have to decorate my kitchen around my yet-to-be-named mixer!
    I am waiting to BUY a mixer until we build our house! I have about 10 feet of counter space right now, and will have way too much counter space in the new house. At least that's how I'm planning things. I had a white KA, gave it to my sister because I just don't have room. My countertops will be a light brown quartz, so I don't know what color I should get. I'm thinking not white though.

Pray for my CPA husband to have a good tax season...we will build no house before its time! And in my opinion, it's time...
    Margaret

Hope it's okay to ask this: What's the advantage of having a stand mixer over a hand-held one?
    Silly is you in a natural state, and serious is something you have to do until you can get silly again.
    Mike Myers

Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color...choosing your socks by their character makes no sense and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable. anon

Every time I use my KA hand mixer, I curse. Well, not every time. But if I'm making anything involving creaming butter and sugar, or a stiff dough, or a large recipe. Your hands are free with the stand mixer, and it is much more heavy duty. The bowl stays still! It's a whole other cooking experience when you can quickly mix ingredients without cursing!!!!
    Margaret