Couldn't wait any longer for it to get colder. Yesterday I made the Italian Country Lamb and White Bean Stew. It was delicious. Here is the recipe in case any want to try it.

Italian Country Lamb and White Bean Stew
By Toula Patsalis
Copyright 1994
All right reserved
*do not reproduce, do not load into Mastercook*

2c dried white beans
1/3 c olive oil
1/4 lb pancetta or bacon, diced
2 large onions, diced
2 carrots, cut into 1/2-in. slices
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 c minced parsely
2 lbs lamb shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into 2in cubes
1 15oz can crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 large green bell pepper, diced
3 c chicken broth
2 T sherry
2 T brown suggar
2 t salt
1 t crushed red pepper flakes
2 t dried basil
2 t dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1/2 c (2oz) grated parmesan cheese
Italian bread to serve

Place beans in a bowl with enought water to cover by 2 inches. Soak overnight. Drain.

In a pressure cooker, heat oil. Add pancetta and saute in hot oil 1 minute. Stir in onions, carrots, garlic and parsley. Saute 2 minutes. Add lamb, tomatoes, bell pepper, beans, broth, sherry, brown sugar, salt, pepper flakes, basil, oregano and bay leaves. Stir well. Secure lid. Over hight heat, develop steam to high pressure. Reduce heat to maintain pressure and cook 18 minutes. Release pressure according to manufacturers directions. Remove lid.

Stir Stew and discard bay leaves. Transfer to serving platter and sprinkle with cheese.

Serve with large hunks of Italian Bread. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

With beef being questionable, I decided to do something different. Also, I took a class back in 1996 that featured this book and reduced times for cooking beans which and it was a wonderful class. Every recipe in this book is fantastic. It is sad to say that I haven't picked up this cookbook in two years, however I do continue to make beans in my pressure cooker.

The newer pressure cookers are far cry from the older ones. They don't readily explode and at least for mine, there is no running to the sink with it to run cold water on the top. I can release the steam from it right on the stove. This stew can also be fixed in the oven or ontop of the stove. In either case, should you decide to make this, enjoy.

PS. You can also use split peas instead of white beans, but first give the white beans a try. They are both equally delicious.