Community Message Boards

Thread: any goat cheese recipes?

Wink any goat cheese recipes?

hi! i have a lot of leftover goat cheese from the holidays...

any good recipes i can use it up in?!

thanks!!

I am vaguely remembering a (really yummy) salad that had warm rounds of goat cheese on it. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Terri

This is yummy
    -Susan

* Exported from MasterCook *

Goat Cheese And Olive-Stuffed Chicken Breasts

Recipe By : Sara Moulton/Gourmet mag
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:20
    Categories : Chicken Chicken Breasts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    12 kalamata olives -- or other brine-cured
    2 ounces goat cheese -- soft, mild (2 tables
    1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves -- chopped
    4 chicken breast halves -- boneless, with skin
    2 teaspoons canola oil

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Pit and thinly slice olives. In a small bowl stir together olives, goat cheese, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste until combined well. Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.

To form a pocket in chicken for filling: Put a chicken breast half on a cutting board and, beginning in middle of 1 side of breast half, horizontally insert a sharp thin knife three fourths of the way through center, moving knife in a fanning motion to create a pocket. Form pocket in remaining breast half in same manner. Divide filling between pockets and spread evenly with a finger.

Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. In a small heavy ovenproof skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and brown chicken, skin sides down, about 2 minutes. Turn chicken over and brown about 2 minutes more. Transfer skillet to middle of oven and bake chicken until cooked through, about 23 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A couple of favorites

Pizza with goat cheese and caramelized onions
    goat cheese and artichoke stuffed chicken breasts
    goat cheese and sun dried tomato stuffed chicken breasts
    Potato Goat cheese gratin

J
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

Thumbs up This is on my menue this week

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Cannelloni w/spinach, goat cheese, walnuts & roasted garlic

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Vegetarian Main Dishes Pasta

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Roasted Garlic-Tomato Sauce:
    1 head garlic
    1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    2 pounds fresh tomatoes -- peeled and seeded,
    or 3 cups canned tomatoes -- with juice
    1/2 small onion -- diced, about 1/2 Cup
    salt and pepper
    1/4 cup dry sherry
    1 bay leaf

The Filling:
    1 1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 medium red onion -- diced, about 1 cup
    salt and pepper
    4 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
    1 large bunche spinach, about 16 cups -- stems removed and
    -- leaves washed
    3/4 teaspoon minced lemon zest
    1/3 cup walnut pieces -- roasted
    1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs such as marjoram,
    thyme, chives, and parsley
    1/2 pound ricotta cheese -- about 2/3 cup
    1 egg -- beaten
    2 ounces Parmesan cheese -- grated, about 2/3 C
    2 ounces Montrachet cheese or other creamy, mild -- goat cheese
    2 fresh pasta sheets -- about 10 ounces

1. THE SAUCE: Preheat the oven to 375¼. Rub the garlic with a little olive oil, place it on a baking sheet and roast until very soft, 30 to 35 minutes. When garlic is cool, slice off the top of the bulb and squeeze the cloves out of the skin. Puree them with the tomatoes in a blender or food processor.

2. Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan and add the onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a few pinches of pepper; sautˇ over medium heat for 5 minutes. When the onion is soft, add the sherry and bay leaf and simmer for 1 or 2 minutes, until pan is nearly dry. Add the tomato-garlic puree and 1/4 teaspoon salt and simmer, uncovered, over low heat for 30 minutes. (TIP: Add up to 1 teaspoon sugar after simmering sauce to balance the flavor if the sauce is acidic.)

3. THE FILLING: Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a few pinches of pepper; sautˇ over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the onions begin to release their juices. Add half the garlic and sautˇ until the onions are soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer onions to a bowl.

4. Heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet and quickly wilt the spinach over medium-high heat with 1/2 teaspoon salt, a few pinches of pepper, and the remaining garlic. Remove the spinach from the heat, drain, and cool. Squeeze out the excess moisture a handful at a time, then coarsely chop.

5. Add the spinach to the onions along with the lemon zest and walnuts. Set aside half the fresh herbs to sprinkle on top after baking and add the rest to the spinach-onion mixture.

6. Place the ricotta in a bowl and stir in the egg. Set aside half the Parmesan cheese to sprinkle over the cannelloni; add the rest to the ricotta with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Combine the spinach and onions with the ricotta mixture, then crumble in the goat cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

7. ASSEMBLING THE CANNELLONI: Cut the pasta sheets into 12 4-inch squares (or comparable size to accomodate the size of the pasta sheets).

8. Preheat the oven to 350¼. Lay the pasta squares on a work surface and spread 1/4 cup of the filling along the edge of each square. Roll loosely; the filling will expand during baking.

9. Ladle 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce into the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Place the cannelloni close together in the dish, seam side down, and ladle the remaining sauce over them. Use a pastry brush to spread the sauce evenly, particularly on the ends, making sure the pasta is covered with sauce.

10. Cover and bake for 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle the cannelloni with the reserved Parmesan and fresh herbs just before serving.

Whew!! Eat and enjoy - it's worth the extra effort!!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 162 Calories; 10g Fat (58% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 46mg Cholesterol; 175mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat

_____

I've been making a salad with baby greens, toasted walnuts, dried cherries, avocado and goat cheese. I drizzle a balsamic vinegrette on top. Yum. Needs to be served on platter rather than bowl. All the good stuff drops to the bottom in a bowl.

-Susan

This is a doctored BA recipe that Emily posted about a year ago. I love her version so much, I never even bother with the original.

FETTUCCINE WITH TOMATOES, BACON, ARUGULA AND GOAT CHEESE

1 pound plum tomatoes, seeded, chopped (about 2 cups) [I used one of those bags of Nature Sweet Cherry tomatoes and quartered them]
    1 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    2 tsp olive oil
    6 slices proscuitto
    1 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only), finely chopped
    2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic [at least]
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
    1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
    5 cups coarsely chopped fresh arugula (about 6 ounces) [I used spinach]

1 lb dried whole wheat spaghetti
    6 ounces soft fresh goat cheese , crumbled
    2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    Additional grated Parmesan cheese

Combine tomatoes and vinegar in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Let stand until tomatoes release their juice, about 15 minutes.

Heat heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add proscuitto; cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels, crumble.

Add olive oil to pan. Add leeks to and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, rosemary and crushed red pepper; saute 1 minute. Add tomato mixture and cooked bacon. Simmer until tomatoes are heated through, about 4 minutes. Add arugula and simmer until wilted, about 1 minute.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, about 10 minutes. Drain. Reserve 1 cup pasta water.

Transfer pasta to large bowl. Add goat cheese, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and tomato mixture and reserved pasta water. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve, passing additional Parmesan separately.

Serves 6.
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

You can also bread goat cheese rounds and fry the up. Add to a greens salad and it is a delicious accompianment.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

I just found this while searching for something else and it looks yummy, so I thought I'd share. It's from the Whole Foods web site and it isn't even very high in fat!

Baked Zucchini with Goat Cheese
    8 medium-sized zucchini
    1 TB olive oil
    3–4 ounces goat cheese, sliced thin (a milder cheese will also work)
    one bunch of fresh mint, chopped
    black pepper

Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut out 8 squares of foil (big enough to wrap each squash) and lightly brush with oil. Cut a slit along the length of each squash and insert slices of cheese. Add some chopped mint and sprinkle with olive oil. Wrap each zucchini individually and bake for about 25 minutes, or until tender. One variation is to omit the mint and baste the cheese-filled squash with crushed garlic infused olive oil, using a fresh rosemary basting brush. If cooking outdoors, these can also be placed on the grill.

Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 80 calories (45 from fat), 5g total fat (8%), 2.5g saturated fat (12%), 2g dietary fiber, 5g protein, 6g carbohydrate, 10mg cholesterol (3%), 60mg sodium (3%)

Here is my absolute favorite salad... could eat it every day!

FRENCH LENTIL SALAD WITH GOAT CHEESE
    (Karen Lee – The Occasional Vegetarian)

Sherry Vinegar Dressing:
    3 Tbs sherry vinegar
    3 Tbs olive oil
    Salt & pepper to taste

Salad:
    1 cup Dupuy lentils, washed and drained
    1 ½ cups vegetable stock or water
    1/3 cup snipped fresh chives
    ¼ cup chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
    ½ tsp minced garlic (I do not use it)
    ½ cup (2oz) diced goat cheese (select a goat cheese with a little bite, such as Boucheron)

 To prepare the dressing, combine the vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper. Whisk or shake in a tightly covered jar, until blended.
     Place the lentils in a saucepan and add the stock or water. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the lentils absorb the stock, about 45 minutes. Remove from the heat, leave the cover on, and let the lentils relax for 30 minutes.
     Mix the lentils with the chives and coriander.
     Add the garlic to the dressing.
     Add the dressing to the lentil mixture. Fold in the cheese gently. Serve.

**This salad can be made several hours ahead. Can be kept for 2 or 3 days in the refrigerator. Important: Return to room temperature before serving.

Gaja

gaja I forgot about that salad...it's fabulous!!!

and Kingswell thank you so much for the zucchini recipe looks good

Keep them coming ladies

J
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

My two favorite ways to eat goat cheese are...A pasta that was in CL about two years ago - it is just goat cheese, watercress (I use baby spinach) and halved cherry tomatoes stirred into hot cooked pasta, seasoned with salt and pepper. And I like goat cheese between two slices of raisin bread.

Boy the lentils and zucchini sound great! One of our favorites is below but I usually get booed here for this one as you have to also like tarragon.

Chicken Thighs With Goat Cheese Sauce and Tarragon
    Recipe By :Cooking Light YEAR: 2001 ISSUE: May PAGE: 128
    Serving Size : 4

1/4 cup fat-free -- less-sodium chicken broth, divided
    1 package goat cheese -- (3-ounce) softened
    4 boneless -- (4-ounce) skinless chicken thighs, halved
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon butter
    2 tablespoons finely chopped onion (I add more of all the veggies)
    2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
    2 tablespoons finely chopped carrot
    2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
    1 garlic clove -- minced
    1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh or ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
    2 cups hot cooked rice (I use basmati)

1. Combine 1 tablespoon chicken broth and cheese in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.

2. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, bell pepper, and garlic; saute 3 minutes. Add chicken; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in 3 tablespoons broth; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done.

3. Stir in cheese mixture and tarragon until blended. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 chicken pieces, 1/4 cup sauce, and ½ cup rice).

NOTES : CALORIES 319 (28% from fat); FAT 10g (sat 4.9g, mono 2.6g, poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 27.7g; CARB 27.1g; FIBER 0.8g; CHOL 116mg; IRON 2.3mg; SODIUM 526mg; CALC 133mg
    I love the seashore. The ocean makes my butt look smaller.

Try the Black Bean Quesadillas with Goat Cheese on this thread. They're really good!

I love this salad!

Sizzling Goat Cheese Salad

4 c torn mixed greens
    1/2 c pitted ripe olives
    6 whole dried tomatoes in oil; drained and chopped
    2 tbs sliced green onions
    1/4 c salad oil
    1/4 c tarragon vinegar
    2 tbs water
    1 tbs walnut oil or salad oil
    1 tbs Dijon mustard
    1 egg
    1 tbs water
    2 tbs cornmeal
    1 tbs fine dry bread crumbs
    1 tbs sesame seed; toasted
    1 tbs grated Parmesan cheese
    8 oz chevre (goat's cheese)
    2 tb butter
    4 Pita rounds, split, or other bread, cut in wedges and
    toasted

On a serving platter arrange greens, olives, tomatoes,
    and green onions. Cover and chill.
    For dressing, in a screw top jar combine salad oil,
    vinegar, 2 tablespoons of water, walnut or salad oil,
    and mustard. Cover and shake until well combined.
    In a small bowl combine egg and 1 tablespoon water.
    in a shallow bowl combine cornmeal, bread crumbs,
    sesame seed, and Parmesan cheese. Divide chevre into
    16 equal portions; shape into balls and flatten into 1
    1/4-inch diameter patties. Dip each patty into the
    egg mixture; coat with cornmeal. Cover and chill.
    At serving time, in a large skillet melt margarine or
    butter. Add cheese patties and cook over medium heat
    for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden, turning once.
    Arrange on top of greens mixture and drizzle with the dressing. Serve with toasted
    bread.

Originally posted by cab321
    My two favorite ways to eat goat cheese are...A pasta that was in CL about two years ago - it is just goat cheese, watercress (I use baby spinach) and halved cherry tomatoes stirred into hot cooked pasta, seasoned with salt and pepper. And I like goat cheese between two slices of raisin bread.
    Could you post this recipe or give me the title so I can search for it? THanks!

I think this is the recipe, Linda.

Pasta with Watercress, Tomatoes, and Goat Cheese
    From Cooking Light

3 cups uncooked tubetti (about 12 ounces short tubular pasta)
    4 cups halved cherry tomatoes
    4 cups chopped trimmed watercress (about 8 ounces)
    1 cup (4 ounces) goat cheese, crumbled
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain. Place pasta in a large bowl. Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients; toss well to coat. Serve immediately.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 cups)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 285 (16% from fat); FAT 5.2g (sat 2.9g, mono 1.1g, poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 12.1g; CARB 47.5g; FIBER 3.3g; CHOL 9mg; IRON 3.1mg; SODIUM 382mg; CALC 70mg;

Cooking Light, MARCH 2002

Thanks kristalsnow7!!

I love this one from the "3Fat Chicks" website:

Chicken Goat Cheese Burritos

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    6 nonfat flour tortillas
    1 can (15 oz.) black beans
    1 tsp. salad oil
    1/2 cup (3 oz.) soft fresh goat cheese, broken into small chunks
    1 to 1 1/2 cups prepared fresh green salsa (mild or hot)

Cut chicken into 1/2- by 3-inch strips. Put chicken pieces in a bowl and coat evenly with cumin, salt, and pepper. Seal tortillas in foil and warm in a 350* oven until hot, about 10 minutes. (Alternatively, heat them in the microwave for a few seconds just before serving) Meanwhile, place beans and their liquid in a 1-quart pan and cook over medium-high heat until bubbling, about 5 minutes. In a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, stir chicken and oil frequently until meat is no longer pink in center, about 6 minutes. Lay tortillas flat. Toward 1 edge, fill each with 1/4 of the chicken, beans (including most of liquid), and cheese, and 2 tablespoons of the salsa. Fold over sides and roll up tightly to enclose. Add more salsa to taste.

Nutrition Information per Serving:
    286 cals; 8 g. fat; 10 g fiber; 25 carbs; 6 WW points