Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with Fontina cheese?

What to do with Fontina cheese?

Does anyone have recipes for using up a block of Fontina cheese?

Thanks!
    Jessica

I need to watch your thread here, I have a hunk of it to use up too!
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

I don't have the recipe right now and no time to do a search, but search on polenta and fontina cheese. There's a superb and simple CL recipe for polenta with roasted red peppers and fontina. We've made it several times. It's excellent.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

I've already planned my menu for next week and I need to buy some fontina cheese for two recipes I'd like to try. Here they are:

Cilantro Pesto Pizza Topped with Portobellos and Red Onion

Extra-virgin olive oil, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and fresh cilantro make the pesto that tops this simple-to-make pizza. To save time, use refrigerated pizza crust.

Crust:
    1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    Cooking spray
    2 teaspoons yellow cornmeal

Pesto:
    2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
    1 tablespoon coarsely chopped walnuts
    1 tablespoon grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
    1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons water
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Pizza:
    4 1/2 cups coarsely chopped portobello mushrooms (about 10 ounces)
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded fontina cheese

To prepare crust, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water in a large bowl, and let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Add 1 1/4 cups flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt to yeast mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of the remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
    Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, for 30 minutes or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.)

Punch the dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle on a floured surface. Place dough on a 12-inch pizza pan or baking sheetsprinkled with cornmeal. Crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim. Cover and let rise 10 minutes or until puffy.

Preheat oven to 450°.

To prepare pesto, place cilantro and next 5 ingredients (cilantro through 1/2 teaspoon salt) in a food processor, and process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.

To prepare the pizza, heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms; cook 5 minutes or until moisture evaporates, stirring constantly. Add the vinegar, and cook until liquid evaporates. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spoon the mushroom mixture onto pizza crust. Drop pesto by teaspoonfuls onto pizza crust. Top with onion, and sprinkle with fontina. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 233 (30% from fat); FAT 7.7g (sat 3.3g, mono 2.5g, poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 10.1g; CARB 31.8g; FIBER 3.3g; CHOL 17mg; IRON 3.8mg; SODIUM 354mg; CALC 133mg;

Cooking Light, JUNE 2001

Squash-Stuffed Cannelloni with Roasted-Shallot Sauce and Hazelnuts

Prepare the creamy filling up to a day in advance. For a vegetarian version, use vegetable broth in place of chicken broth, and sauté the shallots and garlic in oil, omitting the bacon.

Filling:
    10 cup (1/2-inch) cubed butternut squash (about 4 pounds)
    1/4 cup chopped shallots
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
    Cooking spray
    1 tablespoon butter, melted
    1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
    1/4 cup half-and-half
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Sauce:
    3 slices applewood smoked bacon, chopped
    1/2 pound shallots, peeled and halved
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    2 tablespoons half-and-half
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Remaining ingredients:
    16 cooked lasagna noodles
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
    1/4 cup chopped blanched hazelnuts, toasted

Preheat oven to 400°.
    To prepare filling, combine first 3 ingredients on a jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Drizzle with butter; toss to coat. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Place squash mixture in a large bowl; mash with a potato masher. Stir in sour cream, 1/4 cup half-and-half, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

To prepare sauce, cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan; set bacon aside. Add 1/2 pound shallots and garlic to drippings in pan; sauté 5 minutes or until browned. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place pan on stovetop over medium-high heat. Add wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in 2 tablespoons half-and-half, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Spread 1/4 cup filling over each noodle, leaving a 1/2-inch border on each short end. Beginning with a short end, roll up noodles jelly-roll fashion. Place rolls, seam sides down, in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Pour sauce over noodles; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until cheese is golden. Sprinkle with bacon and hazelnuts.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 2 cannelloni)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 349 (29% from fat); FAT 11.4g (sat 5g, mono 4.5g, poly 1g); PROTEIN 12.2g; CARB 51.8g; FIBER 7.8g; CHOL 26mg; IRON 3mg; SODIUM 414mg; CALC 206mg;

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2003

I've also subbed it for moz. on pizza...creaaamyyyyy ...mmmmmm
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Cool

First of all, let me refer you to this thread:

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...hlight=fontina

Besides the Cauliflower recipe I mentioned in this thread, I thought of the following one. It doesn't use very much cheese and it's best not to overcheese it, but like you, I made it once when I was trying to use up fontina and thought it was very tasty.

You'll probably want to monkey with the oil and butter a bit...

Chicken alla Valdostana recipe
    Serves 4

2 large chicken breasts
    2/3 cup chicken stock
    flour
    4 slices proscuitto-thin
    1/4 cup olive oil
    4 slices fontina cheese-thin
    1/4 cup butter-1/2 stick

Flatten chicken breasts- cut in half, dust lightly with flour. Sauté in a skillet with oil over moderately high heat for 1 minute on each side until golden brown. Transfer to a plate, discard oil in skillet. Add butter sliced and broth into the skillet and heat mixture over moderate heat. Return chicken to skillet, top each piece with proscuitto, cheese and cook the mixture covered until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Transfer the chicken to a heated platter, reduce sauce over moderately high heat until it is thickened and season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the chicken.

(From: Minnie Giraldi, www.starchefs.com )

Also, while I was scrounging through my stuff for the above, I found this one from Epicurious, which I haven't yet tried, but it was earmarked TO try:

POLENTA WITH FONTINA AND THYME
    "Every three months, I host a dinner party for the supper club I belong to," says Brianna P. Burks of Salt Lake City, Utah. "The last time it was my turn to cook I prepared an Italian dinner and set myself a new challenge: to make otherwise bland polenta into a truly delicious side dish. I found that Fontina adds creaminess and flavor, and thyme is just the right accent."
    Wonderful with steak, chicken or pork.

5 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 cup polenta (coarse cornmeal)*
    1 cup (packed) grated Fontina cheese (about 4 ounces)
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 ounce)

Bring broth, thyme and garlic to boil in heavy large saucepan. Gradually whisk in polenta. Reduce heat to medium; cook until polenta is thick and creamy, whisking frequently, about 20 minutes. Add cheeses. Stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl and serve.

*Available at Italian markets and some supermarkets. If unavailable, substitute 1 cup regular yellow cornmeal, and cook mixture about 12 minutes.

Makes 4 Servings.

Bon Appétit
    December 1999
    Brianna P. Burks, Salt Lake City, UT

There is a CL "Loaded" Macaroni & Cheese recipe that uses fontina that I love. I'm pretty sure I've posted it before, so it should turn up in a search.

I use in place of mozzarella in baked pasta dishes.

I LOVECRAVAFANTASIZEABOUTADORE fontina with any variation on wild mushroom. Here is my new favorite pizza:

1. Make/buy pizza crust. I am partial to the Dean and Deluca recipe that can be found by searching this board. Stretch thin, set aside.
    2. Finely chop 8 ounces of mixed mushrooms. Some should be wild (shiitake, oyster, even portobello) but if budget allows, all should be wild. And if you live in the Pacific Northwest and accordingly have access to fresh porcini, as much as possible should be porcini.

3. Saute said mushrooms in some olive oil, maybe a teaspoon or two. After the mushrooms have given off their liquid, hit 'em with a tablespoon of brandy or cognac, or white wine. Add some thyme, salt and pepper. Keep sauteing until all of the liquid is absorbed.

4. Back to that pizza crust....drizzle with a little olive oil. Spread all of the mushroom mixture on the crust. Top with a few ounces of shredded fontina, a few grinds of peppper, and a little more of that olive oil.

5. Pop onto a stone that you have preheated for a good hour to 500. Or 550, if your oven does such things. After 5 or 6 minutes, check on the pizza....it will be done in 6-10 minutes, depending on how thin you stretched, how hot your oven is.....

6. Eat hot or at room temperature, possible with a wonderfully creamy Chardonnay or a big Italian red.

7. Swoon. This is seriously good. Candle-worthy pizza, my friends.

Cool

Originally posted by jphilg
    I LOVECRAVAFANTASIZEABOUTADORE fontina with any variation on wild mushroom. Here is my new favorite pizza:...

... Swoon. This is seriously good. Candle-worthy pizza, my friends.
    ...well, when you put it that way...

I want this. Now.

Must shop. Must. Must.

Originally posted by Gail

Must shop. Must. Must.
    <snort>

This made me laugh.

If only I could convince DH that mushrooms are something to get excited about. He'll tolerate them, but that's about it.

We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

Jphilg, about how much would "some" thyme be?

Daniele
    newcook

This is one of our favorites....

* Exported from MasterCook *

Flatbread with Oven-Dried Tomatoes, Rosemary, and Fontina

Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine. Jan/Feb 2002. Page: 106.
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Breads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    4 rosemary sprigs
    2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 package dry yeast (about 2-1/4 teaspoons)
    1 cup plus 2 tablespoons very warm water (120
    degrees to 130 degrees)
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried
    rosemary
    1 teaspoon salt, divided
    Cooking spray
    3/4 cup Oven-Dried Tomatoes, halved lengthwise
    1 cup (4 ounces) fontina cheese, diced

Directions.
    This bread was a hit in our test kitchens. You can also use basil for the rosemary and provolone for the fontina. Using the tomatoes you've roasted at home gives the bread a heartier taste.

The Oven-Dried Tomatoes recipe can be found in the Jan/Feb 2002 issue.

1. Place oil and rosemary sprigs in a small bowl; microwave on high for 30 seconds. Let stand 15 minutes. Gently squeeze oil from rosemary; discard sprigs.

2. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 1/2 cup flour and yeast in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add 1/2 cup warm water; let stand 20 minutes. Add rosemary oil, 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water, chopped rosemary, and 3/4 teaspoon salt; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 teaspoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).

3. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; form into a ball. Place directly on baking sheet. Let rest 5 minutes.

4. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

5. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Arrange tomatoes on top of flatbread, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle with cheese; gently press toppings into dough. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bake at 500 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 1 flatbread; 12 servings (serving size: 1 wedge).

Daniele,

"Some thyme" is totally to taste. I use about 2 teaspoons of fresh leaves or 1/2 teaspoon of dried.

Jphilg, I unfortunately still need some ballpark idea about spices and herbs and stuff. I haven't quite figured it out yet. You never know, I could have ended up with 1/4 cup or something.

Thanks for the recipe, it sounds great.

Daniele
    newcook

I second Canice's idea, use it in place of the cheese in any baked pasta dish. One of my favorite (yet fattenting) baked pasta dishes is just to bake ziti or rigatoni with ragu and fontina. Sprinkle some freshly grated Parmesan on top before you bake and mmmmmmmm...... :drools:. Try it in a grilled cheese sandwich or in place of mozzarella on a pizza.

I wish I had some right now.

~emilie~
    For Pete's sake, now I blog!
    http://www.ifagioli.com/

I don't remember which issue it was in. November or December 2003, but CL recently had a Pork Saltimbocca with polenta what was very good.

DD1 liked the proscuitto so much she asked that we have 'this special bacon' every day. At $11.00 per pound, I don't think so! This is after she wouldn't eat it until we told her it was kind of like bacon. She loves bacon.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)