Community Message Boards

Thread: Substituting wheat flour/oat bran/flax seed mix for white flour??

Substituting wheat flour/oat bran/flax seed mix for white flour??

I'm baking banana bread and it calls for 1.5 cup of white flour. I wanted to substitute a wheat flour/grounded flax seed/oat bran mix for the white flour but don't know what ratios to use...

Any ideas? Thanks!

Not sure if this helps, but I found a recipe (online) that called for oat bran and whole wheat pastry flour (and no white flour). I know you can substitute the ground flax seeds for some of the oil.

I haven't made this recipe so can't vouch for how it will turn out.

Banana-Oat Bread

1/2 cup oat bran
    1/2 cup oat flakes
    3/4 cup hot milk, soymilk or water
    2 ripe bananas, mashed
    1/2 cup honey
    1/4 cup vvegetable oil
    2 egg whites, beaten until fluffy
    1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 cup chopped pecans

Combine first three ingredients, set aside to cool, combine mashed
    bananas, honey, vegetable oil, beaten egg whites, then stir into oat
    mixture. Mix dry ingredients together and stir into oat mixture. Pour
    batter into an oiled bread pan. Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until done.

Shirley

Thanks!

That looks awesome!! Thank you! Can I substiture FF sour cream or yoghurt for the oil? or how would substituting flax seed for the oil work?

Thanks!

This was taken from

http://flaxmeal.com/how_to_use.htm

Because of itís high fat content flax meal can stand in for all of the oil or shortening called for in a recipe. If a recipe calls for 1 tbsp. of oil, use 3 tbsp. of flaxmeal to replace the oil. A 3:1 substitution ratio. When flax meal is used instead of oil, baked goods brown more rapidly.

Shirley

I've found I can replace up to a third of the flour in a regular-flour recipe with a non-gluten something (be that oat flour, oats, soy protein, flax, bran of the oat or wheat persuasion...) without really much affecting things. It will of course be a bit heartier, but it will rise and hold together. Beyond that, things tend at the very least to get a bit crumbly.

As for regular flour to whole wheat, I generally replace all-purpose with whole-wheat pastry altogether in everything I bake... but I like whole-grain goods. The "rules" say that if you are replacing white with whole wheat, remove 2 tablespoons per cup, because of the increased moisture-holding properties of whole grain flour. I haven't found this AS important with the ww pastry flour (which is a soft flour), or with things like quickbreads (such as banana bread) but if you are using regular whole wheat flour, or making slightly more sophisticated things like cakes, it does make a difference.

If I am baking for people other than me and A. and other crunchy-granola friends, I will sub only HALF the flour with whole-wheat pastry, and use a-p flour for the rest, unless there is something else in the recipe (such as fruit or nuts, or rolled oats) which will disguise the Grainy Goodness for picky people accustomed to textureless purchased baking. However, I still generally replace a quarter of the flour with soy flour/soy protein (this helps keep sweet things from triggering my hypoglycemia) -- the results of this are still fine, and indeed, IMHO, tends rather to add moisture and such to a low-fat treat.