Community Message Boards

Thread: Hair Products for Dry, Brittle, Coarse Hair

Hair Products for Dry, Brittle, Coarse Hair

My hair gets really dry sometimes, especially during the winter months. I also have thick hair that is sometimes a bit coarse and often has flyaways this time of year because of the dryness.

In an attempt to mositurize it with moisturizing shampoos & conditioners... sometimes it takes care of any frizz or dryness but also makes me hair too weighed down and almost a bit greasy looking (not feeling) and my hair no longer looks thick and full of body. Some moisturizing products also darken my hair (i am a medium color blond) and i am not too crazy about that either.

Well I just found a product called "MIZANI Fulfyl Conditioning Treatment". It is intended for African American hair types (which I am not) but works great on my hair. The girl at the salon said that a lot of white women have been buying it up. I also bought the shampoo which is nice as well. It is a rich conditioner (and let me tell you, I have tried A LOT of hair products in my time) and really coats each individual hair strand. She did tell me to use a comb to comb the conditioner through my hair while in the shower, leave on for 3 minutes, then rinse very, very well. The result is that my hair seems stronger has a nice shine to it and looks healthy & has body. No flyaways or brittle locks.

So I just wanted to share that with you because it may be good for someone here, too.

Also, what are your favorite moisturing products for hair? Please share.

How expensive is it? I have baby fine but very thick and curly hair, and I have a very hard time finding a product that leaves me with managable, not weighted down hair.

Right now I use Bumble and Bumble's deep daily mosturizing conditioner (whatever it's called) which works really well, but it's $18 for 8 oz, Which is painful. I've tried other brands, but this is the only thing that doesn't lead to breakage/hair loss/sores on my scalp (I have sensitive skin, too!)...anything cheaper that works would rock!
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

I've been using Redken All Soft products for several years now, and I've always loved it, but now that I live in a climate where there's virtually NO humidity, my hair is tending to look limp and flat. I also have very thick, coarse hair that has a tendency to get brittle. I might be in the market for some new products.

Originally posted by JHolcomb
    How expensive is it?
    It is made by L'Oreal, but is one of their salon quality products so you can only buy it at salons.

The shampoo was $5.95 & the conditioner $9.95, both are 8 oz.

They have several levels of conditoners. The one I got was a conditioning "treatment" which probably is a little more heavy duty than the regular conditioner, thus maybe costing more.

Bumble & Bumble... I saw this in Paris but it was really expensive there so I meant to buy some when i got back to the states. That was 3 years ago! I forgot. Thanks for the reminder!

I did a quick google search and found the complete product line:
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/just4bea...re-mizani.html

Btw, I got mine at a hair salon that is mainly white, hispanic, asian. They just started carrying it.

Beth,

Which shampoo did you try?

I was standing there debating for like 10 minutes (such a major decision you know, picking out a shampoo) but I ended up with "MIZANI PuripHying Shampoo".

Here are some key points from the bottle:
    - Forms a microscopic layer on hair cuticle to hold in moisture
    - Adds softness
    - Protects against heat
    - Reduces friction between hairs leading to reduced breakage
    - Adds shine
    - Holds water within the hair to balance and soften
    - Improves pliability
    - Fortifies damaged areas

a few more that i like

"Alba Very Emollient Daily Rinse Conditioner" is a great everyday conditioner for my hair type. I also tried the shampoo made by Alba, but was less impressed, in fact it made my hair dry. I do use the "Alba Condition & Dentangle Leave-In Spray for Fine Hair" from time to time which is decent.

Another one I like, which I have not used in awhile because it is expensive, is "Aveda's Sap Moss Shampoo & Conditioner".

I also like Kiehl's "silk" for winter...my hair shines when I use that
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I color my hair, and last March during a complete and as yet unsurpassed brain poot I got a perm. Can you say Double Processing?? My hair is baby fine and limp to begin with, which is the main reason I got the perm; I thought it would give my hair body and I could 'blow most of it out' and have luscious full hair. She used the largest rods, but I still came out looking like Light Socket Redhead. I spent money on leave in conditioners, moisturizer packs, restructurizers, and every other kind of potion I could find. That $100 perm turned into about $250 worth of pain in the patoot.

Two products saved me. John Frieda's Frizz Ease serum (approximately $10) that you spread on wet hair that's been squeezed dry but not towel dried, and BedHead's After Party which is a wonderful smelling smoothing lotion that you rub between your palms and smooth over dried hair, then comb through. The two together saved my sanity.

It's mid-January and I've got about 6" of perm left in my hair. I get an inch or two cut every 4-6 weeks so it's shorter than I've worn it in years, but by summer it'll hopefully be gone! Sheesh!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

i have lots of wavy-ish, coarse hair, and it is LONG. so my hair tends to be dry and brittle. i like a few thinsg a lot...

Frizz Ease serum (extra strength) - i wish you didnt have to put this on sopping wet hair though. its kind of a pain to remember to not towel dry my hair at all.

KMS turnstyler revival creme - or something like that! its very herbally, but makes my hair smooth- its also very light, so it doesnt weigh my hair down.

Kiehl's Silk Groom and Lite Silk Groom are both very good.

Anything by Frederick Fekkai especially the mask, the glossing creme, and the treatment with olive oil....

i also hear that Straightening Baume by (i think) Garren is pretty good.

i use Pantene to wash and condition sometimes, and other times i use Aussie's 3 Minute Miracle or Terax Crema which costs a ridiculous amount of money but i love it....

I have very fine hair that dries out and tangles fast. I use Bumble and Bumble Seaweed Shampoo and Super Rich conditioner. The litre bottles were about 50$ each, but even with long hair, it took me three months to get through half a bottle. I can't say enough good things about it.
    Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
    Anthony Bourdain

Sebastian Potion #9 - works like a charm.

Originally posted by Jewel
    BedHead's After Party which is a wonderful smelling smoothing lotion that you rub between your palms and smooth over dried hair, then comb through.
    i have this (and like it), but what do you think about the bottle?! am i just a pervert?!

Originally posted by sunberst
    i have this (and like it), but what do you think about the bottle?! am i just a pervert?!
    I totally agree with you. Does that make me a pervert, too?

How about this one:

Debbie

p.s. I don't mean to highjack this thread!!
    Unless you oppose the death penalty, don't tell me you're pro-life.

Originally posted by sunberst
    Oh no Sweetie, you are NOT a pervert...in fact, I wasn't gonna bring this up until you said something, but now I can't resist.

When I first bought the bottle I guess it was a little old on the shelf because it seemed clogged. I was pushing the button, but no (ahem) stuff was coming out of the little hole in the middle. I actually carried it into my husband, thrust this big pink thing into his hands and said "Fix it...". He stared at it...and then pushed the button hard a few times, and (you guessed it) a big blop of white goo spurted out and landed on his chin. Needless to say, another Kodak Moment that I failed to capture....

~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

and you guys that have the bed head after party... you KNOW that picture does it no justice. it's once the cap is off and you are looking at the detail and shape of it and when you push down on the top when the white cream comes out the tiny hole in the middle.

and the name "after party"...

roflmao

That's just gross!!!

On the serious side...I have fine blonde flyaway hair. I found that Burt's Bees Avacado Conditioner works fabulous. No more bad hair days for me!
    Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or Mom.

I was embarrassed the first time I bought the After Party product for my DD.