Community Message Boards

Thread: Cooking with Merlot??

Cooking with Merlot??

I found an opened, almost full bottle of merlot hidden behind some full bottles of wine on my counter. I don't care for red wine and dh won't be home for a couple of weeks. Is merlot a wine that you can cook with?? If so, does anyone have any suggestions?? If not, does anyone have any suggestion?
    TIA
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates

I use it all the time when ever a recipe calls for red wine...well, not all the time, but mostly.

I forgot-I used it last night in the Eating Well Curried Lentil Soup, and it is what put the recipe way above average. It was excellent!

any recipe calling for red wine is fine...

off the top of my head, coc o'vin (sp?)
    there's a braised lentil recipe posted here somewhere..

I'll dig and see if I can locate anything...

oh, and Gail posted a cranberry/cherry chutney type recipe
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I will also use Merlot for cooking, CL All Amercian Chili calls for Merlot, (or any other fruity wine) I used Merlot in the chili and loved it. If it's what I have on add it goes in the pot
    The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our actions. Our inner balance, and even our very existence depends on it. Only morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to our lives

-Albert Einstein-

Here's a recipe I found that looks really good. Can't vouch for it yet, but I like the technique.

COQ AU VIN
    (this is from http://existentialmoo.com/yum/archives/002774.php)

10 slices of smoked bacon ...applewood is best ..diced
    2 chickens quartered (5 to 6 lbs total) I use breasts
    16 Pearl onions,peeled, or a couple of white onions rough chopped
    6 green onions (scallions) sliced...including green part
    1 head of garlic cloves seperated and peeled
    1 lb button mushrooms quartered
    3 tbsps all purpose flour
    3 cups good red wine
    1 cup of good chicken stock
    1 tsp dried thyme
    16 small new potatoes (mostly peeled)
    12 ounces baby carrots or rought cut
    salt and pepper to taste and minced parsley garnish

day before: fry bacon and remove from pan, brown chicken in bacon grease then set aside, add onions and garlic and saute until transulucent, add mushrooms and saute a bit more. Add the flour and cook for a minute then add the wine and stock slowly, season with thyme/salt/pepper. Bring to a boil, remove from heat add bacon, chicken and potatoes and distribute evenly. Refrigerate overnight

Next day: let the coq au vin come to room temperature, preheat oven to 350 degrees, bake covered for one hour. Add carrots and bake uncovered for a little less than one hour

I forgot-I used a whole cup in this recipe that we had last night and it was what put this soup over the top-excellent.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Curried Lentil Soup

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Soups And Stews

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt for garnish
    2 teaspoons canola oil
    1 large white onion, chopped
    2 large carrots, thinly sliced
    3/4 cup red lentils, rinsed
    2 teaspoons curry powder, preferably Madras
    4 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable
    broth
    1 cup fruity red wine, such as Merlot
    3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro for garnish

Place a strainer over a bowl; line with a double thickness of paper towels. Place yogurt in the strainer to drain while you prepare the soup.

Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil, then onion; cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in carrots, lentils and curry powder; cook 1 minute. Stir in broth, wine, and salt; cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the lentils and vegetables are tender. Ladle into soup bowls. Top with drained yogurt and cilantro.

1 cup serving: 178 cal, 3g fat, 4mg chol, 23g carb, 10g pro, 5g fiber, 408mg sod.

Description:
    "This flavorful soup is rich in beta carotene. Additional broth may
    replace the wine. For a spicier soup, add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    pepper."
    Source:
    "Eating Well-winter/04"

We make this one often - it's excellent!

Merlot Pot Roast with Horseradish Smashed Potatoes

Prep/cook time 8/12 to 9 1/2 hrs on low, 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hrs on high
    Makes 6 to 8 servings.

1 tied fat trimmed boned beef chck roast (3-31/2 lb)
    fresh ground pepper
    1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
    3 carrots (about 1/4 lb. each ) rinsed and peeled
    1 onion (1/2 lb), peeled and chopped
    2/3 cup chopped celery
    3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
    1 dried bay leaf
    1 cup Merlot or other dry red wine
    1/3 cup canned tomato paste
    1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
    Horseradish smashed potatoes
    (recipe follows)
    1 tablespoon minced parsley
    1 to 2 cups watercress sprigs, rinsed and crisped (optional)
    salt

Rince beef, pat dry, and sprinkle generously all over with fresh ground pepper. Melt butter in a 10-12 inch nonstickfrying pan over high heat. When hot, add beef and brown wekk on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes total.

Meanwhile, cut carrots into sticks about 3/8 inch thick and 2 inches long. In a 4 1/2 quart or larger electric slow cooker, combine carrots, onion, celery,garlic, thyme, peppercorns, and bay leaf. Set beef on vegetables: add drippings. In a small bowl, mix wine and tomato paste; pour over meat and vegetables.

Cover and cook until beef is very tender when pierced, 8 to 9 hours on low, 5 to 6 hours on high. If possible, turn meat over halfway through cooking.

With 2 slotted spoons, transfer meat to a platter; keep warm. Skim and discard any fat from cooking liquid. Turn cooker to high. In a small bowl, blend cornstarch with a 1 1/2 tablespoons water; pour into cooker and stir often until sauce is bubbling, 10-15 minutes.

With a slotted spoon, lift vegetables from cooker and arrange beside meat. Spoon horsradish smashed potatoes onto platter; sprinkle with parsley. Garnish Platter with watercress. Spoon sauce over meat. Slice meat and serve with vegetables, potatoes, and sauce, adding salt to taste.

Per serving without potatoes: 314 calories, 40%(126 cal.) from fal" 34 g protein; 14 g fat (5.6 g sat.) 11 g carb. (2.3 g fiber); 256 mg sodium; 115 mg chol.

Horseradish smashed potatoes

Scrub and peel 13 to 3 1/2 lbs. russett potatoes; cut into 1 1/2 inch chunkd. Put into a 4-5 quart pan with 2 1/2 quarts water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until potatoes mash easily when pressed, 20=25 minutes.

When potatoes are done, heat 1 to 1 1/2 cups half and half or fat skimmed chicken broth with 2 T. butter or margerine in a microwave safe container in a microwave oven at fullpower just until steaming 1 to 3 minutes. Or warm in a 1 to 1 1/2 quart pan over medium heat.

While cream heats, drain potatoes and mash in pan with a mixer or potato masher until almost smooth. Add cream, a portion at a time, and mix until potatoes have the consistency desired. Stir in salt, pepper, and 1 to 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish to taste. Mound beside Merlot pot roast or scrape into a bowl. makes6 to 7 cups 6 to 8 servings.

per serving: 189 calories, 31% (59cal) from fat; 3.9g protein, 6.6 g. fat (3.9 sat)) 29 g carbo (2.6 g fiber) 55 mg sodium, 19 mg chol.

Kimba
    Moderation in all things.

Nice call, Kimba - I was going to do the same thing!

Heh - and now I'm craving it.

I may have to make your oven baked beef stew, instead, unless I want to brave the cold and go to the market.

BTW, I use Merlot in the stew, as well, and it's excellent.

Kimba
    Moderation in all things.

Thanks Kimba & Sandy. You beat me to it.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Wow! What great sounding recipes!! Thanks everyone!

I guess I was thinking that merlot wasn't necessarily a wine that was used in cooking. I wonder where I got that crazy idea? Now I'm going to have to buy more just to cook with.
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates