Community Message Boards

Thread: Will these bananas ever ripen?

Will these bananas ever ripen?

I bought some green bananas THREE WEEKS ago. They are still hard as a rock. What's going on? Were they picked so early that they will never get ripe?

i don't have an answer, but rest assured you are not alone!

i once bought bananas that sat on my counter for 2 weeks and never ripened at all. they remained the same color green they were when i bought them and stayed hard. eventually i just tossed them out.

this was the only time it happened to me. all other banana purchases have ripened like normal.

Thumbs down

At this point, I'd say "no", those bananas will never ripen! I have had that happen a few times, and it irritates me each time. I think they must be picked so dang unripe and rock hard then probably shipped frozen from who-knows-where -- and they just can't ripen. I even had some once that went from grass green to jet black (took WEEKS though) - those poor bananas never got yellow, and they never got soft! It was actually quite pathetic!

Lynn
    I take life with a grain of salt... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Visit my blog at: http://www.lifewithlynnb.blogspot.com

I read somewhere that bananas are all picked and shipped green and hard--totally unripe. When they arrive at the warehouse, they are exposed to a gas that gets the ripening process going. If they aren't exposed to the gas, or aren't exposed long enough, they won't ripen, no matter how long they rent real estate on your kitchen counter. I've had this happen, too. If you have your receipt, you could take them back to the store. If you're like me, though, the receipt is long gone. At any rate, you might as well toss them.

interesting. I have never heard of this, so I learned something new today.

You could try putting them in a brown paper bag with some apples. The apples emit the ethylene gas that ripens bananas. (See what I learn from my son's science experiment )
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

tbb113:
    I liked your idea of trying to put them in a bag with an apple. I went to do it and the bananas had started getting mold on the ends. They are now in the trash. Oh well.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

There are only two ways to find out for sure:

1. Consult a Ouija Board

2. Ask your Magic 8-Ball

I find the Magic 8-Ball is more reliable.
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt