Community Message Boards

Thread: substitutes for applesauce in muffin recipe?

substitutes for applesauce in muffin recipe?

Hi All!
    I wasn't having much luck attaching my question to the end of the original thread on these muffins, and I've done searches, checked Foodsubs.com - and just not finding any answers! So thought I'd start a new thread and hopefully someone can help me find a sub so I can get to makin' these little gems! I don't have any applesauce on hand - can I just skip it? Or could I use butter or sour cream or more buttermilk in it's place?
    Here is the original recipe:
    Originally posted by funnybone
    I made these yesterday and they were really good. I'd add raisins or craisins next time, but I made them as is this first time.

MAPLE OATMEAL MUFFINS

These tempting, reduced-fat muffins are a nice way to get started in the morning.

2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
    1 cup quick-cooking oats
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup low-fat buttermilk
    3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1/2 cup pure maple syrup
    1/2 cup packed golden brown sugar
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 large egg
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400°F. Line twelve 1/3-cup muffin cups with paper liners. Combine first 6 ingredients in large bowl and stir to blend. Whisk buttermilk, applesauce, maple syrup, brown sugar, vegetable oil, egg and vanilla in medium bowl until well blended. Add to dry ingredients and stir just to incorporate (do not overmix).

Divide batter equally among muffin cups (batter will reach top of cups). Bake until muffin tops are golden brown and tester inserted into center of muffins comes out clean, about 28 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool.

Makes 12.

Per serving: calories, 231; fat, 6 g; cholesterol, 18 mg; sodium, 276 mg

Bon Appétit
    June 1995

I just answered on the other thread but I'll paste it here too...
    Personally, I'd wait until I had some applesauce. Do you have any fresh apples you could grind down or shred? Or maybe some smashed banana? I definitely wouldn't omit it without replacing it with something similar.
    Thought of something else...do you have any canned peaches or pears. I wonder if you could blend those up in a blender and use that?

Thank you for your help Linda! We are posting at the same time! I replied to your post on the other one too!
    Nope, I don't have any apples or bananas. Off to the store I go!

Your welcome! Don't forget to post a review.