Community Message Boards

Thread: Question about figs....dried figs...on a string...

Question Question about figs....dried figs...on a string...

I saw some "Kalamata Dried Figs on a String" on sale at the grocery store the other day. I was thinking about buying them, but I really don't know anything about figs. I did a search and saw some information in general, but nothing particularly about dried figs.

Do you just eat them as they are like a dried apricot or date?

Can you just chop them up and add them to recipes like you would a dried apricot or date?

Are there parts you shouldn't eat as it sounds like there is on a fresh fig (like a stem)or have they already been removed? (I know you aren't supposed to eat the string! )

And just for fun...what kind of nutritional value do they have? Are they loaded with potassium or vitamin C or anything else?

Got any delicious recipes that use dried figs? I'd love to give them a try.

TIA!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Try doing a search for figs - here is a great thread if you're looking for some recipes.

Yes, you can eat figs just as they are. Yummy, crunchy, sweet! Yes, you can chop them up, but they're sticky, so try coating your knife with cooking spray. And yes, once in a while, you'll crunch down on a stem (or maybe something, um, more protein packed) but life goes on. Enjoy!
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Thanks so much for the link to that thread...there are plenty of recipes there to keep me busy for a while!
    kathyb

Just bumping up so you know I responded. For some reason the thread accepted my post, but it doesn't show a new response. This has happened to me before. I wonder why it does that? It's the second time it has happened just today!
    kathyb

!!!
    kathyb