Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with sourdough bread?

What to do with sourdough bread?

My mom, bless her heart, gave us a loaf of homemade sourdough bread yesterday.

I'm not sure if I'm a big sourdough fan... but maybe I've just not had it with the right stuff yet. Is there an exceptionally good soup we should have with it? How about sourdough sandwiches - anything in particular that's particularly yummy with sourdough?

I hate to throw it in the freezer out of lack of knowing what to do with it...

Thanks!
    Kuvy

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
    Anais Nin (1903-1977)

Toast the bread and serve it with pimento cheese spread, or make toasted cheese sandwiches. Serve this with tomato soup. Or dip the bread into a potato chowder or cheese soup.

Smoked salmon spread or different cooked fish sandwiches with pesto or spicy mayo are good too.

French toast would be good, with cinnamon of course.

I love sourdough. I have a starter that dates back to 1800s in Texas. Or so they claimed when they gave it to me.
    Never mistake motion for action.
    -Ernest Hemingway

My DH doesn't care for sourdough bread (except when we were in San Francisco so it definitely depends on the starter) so I make this when I buy a loaf by "mistake":

Cheesy Bread Pudding

This is another marvelous recipe from Laurel Robertson's "The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book". It's a different spin on bread pudding. Most bread puddings are very sweet, and sweeter still when you put the lemon, whiskey, rum, or whatever sauce on them.

This bread pudding is suited to be a side dish, used like a Yorkshire Pudding, pasta, or rice dish. I suppose a ovo-lacto vegetarian would enjoy it as a main course. I will say, it never lasts long around here, and it's especially good with sourdough.

This recipe is enough for a 9x11 inch baking pan, and should serve about 8 as a side dish. Unless one or more are teenagers. Or never realised how good sourdough could be. Or know very well how good sourdough is.

Ingredients:

8 cups of bread chopped into 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch cubes
    4 cups of warm milk
    2 eggs
    2 tablespoons of butter
    2/3 to 1 cup grated sharp cheese - a good sharp cheddar, swiss, or even parmesan will do fine.

Start by preheating your oven to 350F. Next, lightly grease the 9x11 inch pan with some of the butter. Then, chop up the bread and put it into the pan.

Lightly beat the eggs, mix in the warm milk, and beat further. Add the grated cheese, and mix well. Pour the egg, milk, and cheese mixture on top of the bread.

Dot the top with the remaining butter. Put the pan into the oven until the pudding is set, and the bread is nicely browned. This will probably take about an hour.

When you remove it from the oven, be very careful! The bread pudding will be very, very hot! You might want to let it cook a few minutes before serving it.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Sourdough is also great with goat cheese or an herbed goat cheese spread.
    Never mistake motion for action.
    -Ernest Hemingway

I love grilled turkey & swiss sandwiches with tomato on sourdough. Cook it just like grilled cheese, except with the obvious additions and substitutions. (or use a grill pan for a panini!)
    People are as happy as they make up their minds to be.

-- Abraham Lincoln

Sneezles - that Bread Pudding looks deelish. What on earth will I serve with it though... something not too carb-y or cheesy, since the pudding covers both of those. Some kind of fish?!?!? Hmmm I was thinking about making the Smothered Chicken on the "Best and Easiest Dishes of 2003" thread - maybe that?

Jill123 - I've got leftover Xmas turkey in the freezer - that sounds good too!
    Hey did you know we've got a CL Supper Club here in Denver - the Feb one is at my house here in Westminster (Feb 17), but most of the other ladies live closer to your neck of the woods. Let me know if you'd like to join the e-mail notification list.
    Kuvy

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
    Anais Nin (1903-1977)

Originally posted by Kuvy
    Sneezles - that Bread Pudding looks deelish. What on earth will I serve with it though... something not too carb-y or cheesy, since the pudding covers both of those. Some kind of fish?!?!? Hmmm I was thinking about making the Smothered Chicken on the "Best and Easiest Dishes of 2003" thread - maybe that?
    The chicken sounds good but I just serve it with blackened catfish.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

How about toasting a peice for breakfast and putting some tatsty preserves on it. I just made 2 loaves and DH took one to work for meatball sandwiches. I like the toasted cheese idea. I'll have to try that!