Community Message Boards

Thread: Which one is sweeter - sweet potato or yams?

In the US, they are the same thing.

"Definition: This thick, tropical-vine tuber is popular in South and Central America, the West Indies and parts of Asia and Africa. Although sweet potatoes and yams are similar in many ways and therefore often confused with one another, they are from different plant species. In the southern United States, sweet potatoes are often called yams and to add to the confusion, canned sweet potatoes are frequently labeled yams. True yams, however, are not widely marketed and are seldom grown in the United States. Though they can be similar in size and shape to sweet potatoes, yams contain more natural sugar and have a higher moisture content."
    (courtesy of foodtv.com)
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

True enough, but since many markets sell the darker variety as "garnet yams" and the lighter ones as "sweet potatoes" I think the question is which is sweeter, a yellow sweet potato or a red one. Red. They're also a lot moisturer.

I vote yams, but after reading the definition listed above, perhaps we don't get real yams in the U.S. Personally, I won't eat the yellow sweet potatoes. They ahve a mushy, yucky texture to me. Over the years I have warmed up a bit to what I thought were yams. They taste better (sweeter) and their texture is not as offensive to me. Weird, I know!

Peggy

Oh, I don't think that's weird at all, Peggy. I like a simple baked "garnet yam" quite a bit (creamy and sweet!) but find "sweet potatoes" to be kind of mealy and not so nice - like an "off" potato. That said, I made my first sweet potato pie about two years ago and it was pretty good. Don't think I'd try the recipe with the "other" variety .

Oh Canice, thank you for sharing my little quirk!

Peggy (who just edited her previous post to spell weird correctly!! )