Community Message Boards

Thread: ?SUBSTITUTE for corn syrup

Question ?SUBSTITUTE for corn syrup

Hello!
    Does anyone know if there is something I can sub for corn syrup? I want to make the Fudgy Lowfat Brownies that Yorkshirepud posted, but I don't have any corn syrup (light or dark). I really don't want to go buy a bottle for the the 1/4 cup it calls for. Would I substitute regular sugar or honey?
    TIA

When in doubt, consult Cook's Thesaurus, a good site to bookmark: www.foodsubs.com

Here's what they say:

corn syrup Notes: This is a thick, sweet syrup that's popular in America, but hard to find in other countries. Unlike other sweeteners, corn syrup doesn't crystallize and turn grainy when it's cold, so it's a good choice for frostings, fudge sauces, and candies. Baked goods made with corn syrup are moister and stay fresher longer than those made with sugar. There are two types: dark corn syrup is dark brown and has a slight molasses flavor, while light corn syrup is almost clear and has a more delicate flavor. The two can be used interchangeably in many recipes. Karo is a well-known brand. Store corn syrup at room temperature. Substitutes: golden syrup (Substitute measure for measure) OR honey (This is sweeter than corn syrup, but substitute it measure for measure.) OR molasses (Substitute measure for measure.)

Hey, thanks Gail!
    I might bake some up now. Although dangerous to bake fresh brownies, alone on a Friday night! I may have Sat. morning sugar hangover!

RD Chef,

I definately wouldn't subsitute sugar. The mixture is thick enough and without the liquid benefit from the corn syrup so I doubt it would come together.

Although I'm sure you could sub honey, I have a feeling the corn syrup is essential to the recipe to make it fudgy. I remember reading somewhere that corn syrup makes baked items stay moist.

I'd hold out and get some corn syrup.
    Adele

My Blog - http://passioknit.blogspot.com/

Hey, thanks Gail!
    I might bake some up now. Although dangerous to bake fresh brownies, alone on a Friday night! I may have Sat. morning sugar hangover!

Those gremlins. I don't know how I posted, then had a double post? OK, maybe I'll head out for corn syrup and try these. I didn't do it last night, because I got sleepy...

Enjoy RDChef. They are yummy!
    Adele

My Blog - http://passioknit.blogspot.com/

Both honey and molasses have distinctive tastes while corn syrup tastes like table sugar

Wouldn't substituting one of these modify the taste of the end product even if the substitution worked chemically? It might of course still be tasty but different.