Community Message Boards

Thread: (Need answer ASAP) - Can I Freeze Creme Brulee French Toast?

(Need answer ASAP) - Can I Freeze Creme Brulee French Toast?

I just made:

Lightened Creme Brulee French Toast

Recipe By : posted by gabbyh (gail)
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Breakfast

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 cup unsalted butter
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2 tablespoons corn syrup
    12 ozs Italian bread -- (3/4 of a one pound loaf)
    1 c egg beaters® 99% egg substitute
    1 lg egg
    1 1/2 cups fat free half-and-half
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 teaspoon salt

In a small heavy saucepan melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over moderate heat, stirring, until smooth and pour into a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish. Cut 1-inch thick slices from center portion of bread. Arrange bread slices in one layer in baking dish, squeezing them slightly to fit.

In a bowl whisk together eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, and salt until combined well and pour evenly over bread. Chill bread mixture, covered, at least 8 hours and up to 1 day. (I have always made it the night before)

Preheat oven to 350° F. and bring bread to room temperature.

Bake bread mixture, uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed and edges are pale golden, 35 to 40 minutes.

Serve hot French toast immediately.

Makes 6 servings.

I'm giving it to a friend next week. My question is: should I freeze it now, before it's had a chance to sit in the fridge for the 8 hours? Or should I let it sit for the 8 hours, THEN freeze it? OR - should I let it sit, BAKE IT, THEN freeze it??
    TIA!!!
    Kuvy

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
    Anais Nin (1903-1977)

hmmmm...i have been pondering your dilemma!i would either freeze it AFTER it's soaked up all the liquid (8 hours) or after i baked it. i think if you froze it with all the liquid the half/half, etc. might get yucky (great adjective, eh?). I am not sure which would be better though, to freeze it after or before baking! anyone else??

the gremlins are out and about...my post didn't show up on the board after i submitted it, so i am bumping it up!

Just a last-ditch effort to see if anyone has advice for me on this tricky question...

TIA!
    Kuvy

Anais Nin (1903-1977)

Kuvy,
    I am no expert on freezing, but my gut says bake it, then freeze it.

that recipe sounds delicious, I'm going to a potluck brunch in a few weeks, I think I'll try to make this. Am I reading it correctly, you just slice up a loaf of the italian bread and use the bigger center slices? (you dont take the crust off right?)
    Thanks,
    Anna

I bet you already made your decision and I am curious what you decided? After thinking about this, perhaps if the items were going to spoil before next week, you could freeze them individuaaly, defrost them when needed and then make the recipe as written?????

just a thought -
    Shannon

Kuvy,

Guess this is too late, but I just spotted this post...I would bake it, then freeze it...although we've never done it...I think it would work...

Let us know what you did

Geeze...now that I have a kitchen, I can make this again!!!

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Hi ladies - Thanks for your advice - I totally agree. Better safe than sorry! I let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours, then baked as directed. I only baked it for 30 min though (the lowest amount recommended) and I did have it covered with foil, so that when my friend "re-"bakes it hopefully it won't dry out too much.
    Anyway I will let it cool then freeze it. I'll ask her how it turns out (hopefully the puffiness won't sink altogether through this process?) and if she has anything interesting to say I'll post it.

AnnaC - It IS delicious! It's one of those dishes that your friends and family will request for every special occasion (and the ones inbetween!) (Hence why I'm makig it for my best friend... I was tired of her begging!! ) It's very forgiving too... I've used pretty much any kind of bread, crust or no - Challah, italian, regular...
    I've also made it with pecans in the syrupy bottom (just toast some pecans, and sprinkle them over the brown sugar/corn syrup/butter mixture in the bottom of the pan then proceed as directed.
    At Xmas I added some freshly squeezed OJ in with the liquids (the beaten egg mixture) and some freshly grated orange zest.
    Did I mention delicious?
    Kuvy

Anais Nin (1903-1977)

Those all sound like great variations, I think I'll make it for the family this weekend (I can't wait for the brunch!)
    So I can use regular pre-sliced bread too? I have both italian presliced and sourdough- maybe one of those?

Yep, last time I mistakenly had Whole Foods cube the Italian Bread for me and of course it still turned out yummy.

Personally I wouldn't use Sourdough since it's supposed to be a sweet dish and the sour-ness might add a bit too much tang.
    But heck! What do I know!

(However - if you're looking for a use for Sourdough, I just made this for tonight's dinner and it smells DELICIOUS:
    Cheesy Bread Pudding )
    Kuvy

Anais Nin (1903-1977)