Community Message Boards

Thread: What to substitute for BOK CHOY?

Question What to substitute for BOK CHOY?

I want to make the Vegetarian Hot Pot (Winter '04, Eating Well) - but there's no bok choy to be found anywhere in this town!!! :mad:

Does anyone know what the best substitute would be? Cabbage? Spinach? Something else?

Many thanks!

Lynn
    I take life with a grain of salt... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Visit my blog at: http://www.lifewithlynnb.blogspot.com

Napa cabbage would work. Bok choy is 'grassier' than regular cabbage, but that might work in a pinch.

From foodsubs

bok choy = Chinese chard = Chinese white cabbage = Chinese cabbage = Chinese mustard cabbage = pak choy = pak choi = baak choi = white mustard cabbage = yow choy = white celery mustard = taisai = bai cai Pronunciation: BAHK-choy Notes: Bok choy has crunchy stems and crinkled, spinach-like leaves. It's usually stir-fried with other ingredients, but it can also be steamed or sautéed and served as a side dish. Small heads of bok choy are called baby bok choy (left), and they're more tender than the larger variety. Of the baby bok choys, bok choy sum = Canton bok choy has small yellow flowers (sum is the Chinese word for flower), while Shanghai bok choy is a uniform light green, doesn't have flowers, and isn't as sweet. Substitutes: Chinese broccoli OR napa cabbage (for stir-frying only; don't boil) OR broccoli OR Swiss chard OR celery (especially in stir-fry dishes) OR collard greens OR beet greens
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Guest Guest
    I was also going to suggest Napa cabbage.

I sometimes sub spinach for bok choy. Chances are if I am cooking and don't have the bok choy, I wont have napa cabbage. I always have fresh spinach though. Cook time for both are the same.

I would go with Napa cabbage first as well. If that's not available, Savoy cabbage might work. I just had the leftovers of this for lunch. Mmmm, it is such good oriental comfort food. Enjoy!!

Karen

Cool

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input. I'll let you know what I end up doing and how it turns out!

Lynn
    I take life with a grain of salt... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Visit my blog at: http://www.lifewithlynnb.blogspot.com