Community Message Boards

Thread: Cookies with maraschino cherries?

Cookies with maraschino cherries?

I have an opened jar of maraschino cherries and I'd like to find a recipe to use them in. Preferrably with chocolate.

I don't want to make chocolate covered cherries and I don't really care for the Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies. Any other suggestions?? I'd love a bar-type cookie recipe if there is such a thing.
    TIA
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates

no chocolate in this recipe, but yum!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Gooey Cherry Bars

Recipe By :allrecipes.com
    Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup sugar
    3/4 cup butter -- softened
    2 eggs -- lightly beaten
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    10 ozs maraschino cherries -- drained and juice reserved
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
    2 tablespoons butter

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
    2 In a medium bowl, mix flour, white sugar and 3/4 cup butter until crumbly. Press into prepared pan.
    3 Bake in preheated oven 12 to 15 minutes, until light brown.
    4 In a food processor, combine eggs, brown sugar, vanilla and baking powder and process until smooth. Pour in cherries and walnuts and pulse until just chopped and incorporated, but not pulverized. Pour over crust.
    5 Bake 25 minutes, until center is set.
    6 To frost, cream together confectioners' sugar with 2 tablespoons butter and 4 tablespoons cherry juice until fluffy. Frost cooled dessert and cut into bars.

NOTES : use 5 tbsp cherry juice. you want the frosting to br really spreadable because there isn't a lot and because the top rips easily. use more cherries next time. double them?

these were really good but not that gooey. maybe gooier if in an 11x7 pan? I left out the nuts. maybe use coconut instead?

Coconut would be good or if you want to use nuts how about subbing almonds for the walnuts? If you want chocolate, why not drizzle a bit of chocolate glaze over the top? It wouldn't take much but would be so pretty

Here's a recipe for a cherry pecan biscotti I like to make. It's crumblier than typical biscotti so I guess it's more like a mandelbrot, but it's very good.

Coconut, Cherry, Pecan Biscotti

Ingredients
    1/2 cup butter (softened)
    3/4 brown sugar
    2 eggs
    2 1/4 cups flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup chopped almonds 1/2 cup coconut
    1/4 cup chopped up maraschino cherries

Preheat oven to 350.
    Mix butter, sugar and eggs until creamy.
    In separate bowl mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt) then mix dry ingredients into butter sugar mixture until just blended -- do not overbeat.
    Mix in pecans, coconut and cherries until just blended and batter forms soft but workable dough.
    Mold the dough into two big (about 2 inches across) logs. Bake logs at 350 for 25 minutes.
    Let logs cool for 15 minutes, then slice logs cross wise into biscotti slices and lay on cookie sheets.
    Bake slices for 15 minutes. Cool and serve.

Val, I should have mentioned that the juice is being used for something else (Pink Contessas for dd). I'm saving your recipe though.

Claire, the biscotti looks really good. What are mandelbrot? I wonder what those would be like dipped in chocolate?

Originally posted by Chocolate Rose
    Val, I should have mentioned that the juice is being used for something else (Pink Contessas for dd). I'm saving your recipe though.

Claire, the biscotti looks really good. What are mandelbrot? I wonder what those would be like dipped in chocolate?
    Mandelbrot is a Jewish biscotti. I think it usually has more butter or shortening than traditional Italian biscotti.

As for chocolate, I've never tried dipping them but I'm sure they'd be good that way.

If you google "cherry cookies", a recipe for "chocolate covered cherry cookies" pops up. I've never tried it, but it sounds good. I'm guessing you're looking for tried and true things, though.

Here's one from Recipezaar that sounds good.

http://www.recipezaar.com/search/get...id=82209&path=

Thanks for the info, Claire!

I've made the chocolate covered cherry cookies before and just didn't care for them. That doesn't make sense with *my* taste buds. I thought for sure they would be something I would love. It's been a few years since I have made them so maybe I should make them again. But, I'd like to try something new.

This isn't anything fancy, but my DH's family's favorte cookie is cherry chocolate chip. They just use the regular chocolate chip cookie recipe on the back of the chip bag and then add chopped cherries. I would think you would want to adjust the amount of the flour due to the additional liquid from the cherries, but I don't think my FIL does because he likes his cookies really really soft. They are quite good and I would imagine you could just use your favorite CC cookie recipe. Eat them with some vanilla ice cream and its like Cherries Garcia .

When I was little we used to make banana bread with chocolate chips, walnuts and chopped maraschino cherries. Yummy!

purplefishy, great idea!! I wonder how they'd be in the Can't Leave Alone Bars or Outrageous Brownies? Hmmmmm, I'll have to go back through some of my tried and true recipes and see which could benefit from the cherry addition.

BlueMoose, another great idea!! Thank you!!

I posted a recipe at Christmas time for "Fudgy Cups" which had marichino cherries in them. Found it!

Shannon

Fudgy Cups

You will need:

For the pastry-
    3/4 cups all purpose flour
    1/4 cup natural cocoa powder
    1/3 cup butter, softened
    3 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1/3 cup sugar

For the filling-
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/3 cup natural cocoa powder
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tsp. pure vanilla, orange, or almond extract
    12 marachino cherries, halved (optional)

Sift together the flour and cocoa, set aside. In a small bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese, and sugar until fluffy. Add the flour mixture and beat until combined. Cover and refridgerate at least 30 , minutes.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and lightly spray two mini-muffin pans with cooking spray. Divide the chilled dough into 24 balls and press each into the bottom and up the sides (about 2/3 of the way up) of the muffin tin. Mix together the melted butter, sugar, cocoa, egg, and extract(s) of your choice until well blended. If using cherries, place one half of cherry, cut side up, in each muffin cup. Spoon about 1 tsp. of the filling in each up. Bake for 18 minutes, or until the filling is set. Cool for 10 minutes in the pans. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.

edited to add recipe.
    I was born okay the first time thanks.
    -random bumper sticker

Thanks, Shannon! These look good!

I have a recipe for cherry-pecan bread that is very good as is, but I'm sure could have chocolate chips added to it. Let me know if you want me to post it. (Hmmm....I may have to try it that way myself! )
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Smile Supreme Fruit and Nut Brownie Dessert

This recipe is from a Betty Crocker Special Edition magazine called, Recipe from the Soul. I have not tried this recipe, but the picture looks yummy!

Supreme Fruit and Nut Brownie Dessert

Prep: 30 min
    Total: 4 hr 20 min

2 jars (10 ounces each) maraschino cherries with stems, drained and 1 cup juice reserved
    1 cup shredded coconut
    2 tablespoons coconut milk (not cream of coconut)
    1 cup sliced almonds
    2 packages Betty Crocker Supreme dark chocolate brownie mix (with dark chocolate syrup pouch)
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 teaspoons almond extract
    5 eggs, slightly beaten
    Coconut icing (to follow)
    Additional sliced almonds, if desired

Heat oven to 350F. Grease bottom and sides of jelly roll pan, 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1 inch, with shortening or spray with cooking spray. Set 24 cherries aside for garnish. Remove stems and coarsely chop remaining cherries, set aside.

Place coconut in medium bowl. Sprinkle coconut milk over coconut; stir gently with fork to mix. Stir in almonds and chopped cherries, set aside.

Stir brownie mix, chocolate syrup pouch, oil, reserved 1 cup cherry juice, almond extract and eggs in a large bowl with spoon until blended. Spread half of the batter in pan. Spoon coconut mixture evenly over batter. Spoon remaining half of batter over coconut mixture to cover.

Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack, about 3 hours.

Make Coconut icing. For servine pieces, cut brownies into 6 rows by 4 rows. Place on individual dessert plates. Spoon icing over each serving. Garnish each with cherry and additional sliced almonds. 24 servings.

Coconut Icing

1 cup Betty Crocker Whipped vanilla ready-to-spread frosting
    1/4 cup coconut milk (not cream of coconut)

Stir ingredients in small bowl until smooth.

Enjoy!

Anna :-)