Community Message Boards

Thread: Review: Real Chocolate Wafers

Thumbs up Review: Real Chocolate Wafers

Hey Everyone,

Great recipe to share! I came across this recipe for Real Chocolate Wafers (Bittersweet by Alice Medrich) and it tastes exactly like the Nabisco Chocolate Wafers. I thought I would give them a shot for a cheesecake I'm making this weekend that need chocolate wafer crumbs! They are perfect.

I honestly cannot tell the difference with these and the Nabisco ones except this recipe yields a slightly higher cookie, but that could be resolved simply by cutting them 1/8 inch instead of 1/4.

Besides being a great cookie crumb base, they are yummy cookies too!

Enjoy.

REAL CHOCOLATE WAFERS
    Makes 40 to 45 cookies

1 cup all-purpose flour
    cup plus 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    tsp baking soda
    tsp baking salt
    6 tbsp unsalted butter, slightly softened
    cup packed brown sugar
    cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    3 tbsp 1% milk or water

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Add the sugars and vanilla. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute. Beat in the milk. On low speed, beat in the flour mixture until just incorporated. Gather the dough together with your hands and form it into a neat 9- to 10-inch log. Wrap it in wax paper, folding or twisting the ends of the paper without pinching or flattening the log. Chill for at least 45 minutes, or until needed. (The dough can be refrigerated for up to 3 days, or double-wrapped and frozen for up to 3 months.).

Place the oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 350. Lightly grease two baking sheets.

Use a sharp knife to slice rounds of chilled dough a scant inch thick. Place them 1 inch apart on baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back about half way through. The cookies will puff and crackle on top, then settle down slightly when down. Use a metal spatula to transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.

Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks, or freeze for up to 2 months.
    Adele

My Blog - http://passioknit.blogspot.com/

Thanks! This recipe will save me a bundle. Those Famous Wafers cost about $3.99 a box.

That's so true Claire! They are pretty expensive. I'll never buy them again that's for sure!

Btw, I used the milk and baked them for 12 minutes.
    Adele

Thanks a lot for posting this recipe. I cannot find chocolate wafer cookies in any of the grocery stores near my house...no Famous Amos, no Chocolate Nilla wafers...NOTHING!!! I have numerous tempting cheesecake and bar recipes that call for chocolate wafers in the crust, and I have never been able to make any of them. I will use this recipe to make some of these recipes now.

Thanks again!!!
    The road to someday leads to nowhere.

That's great MiMo. Get baking those cheesecake!!! I'm doing the Snickers Cheesecake this weekend!
    Adele

Snickers Cheesecake, huh? YUM!!! I'm still scared of my springform pan (I have no idea why, I just know I'll mess up whatever I make in it), so I'm going to start with a chocolate cheesecake bar recipe that was in Everyday Food a month or so ago. I'll post a review after I make it.

Mimo, the snickers cheesecake does sound good eh? I can't wait to have some. I've been meaning to try it forever, so this weekend it's getting done!

Don't worry about your springform pan. You won't mess up. Just jump right in and make something, that what I try to do.

Enjoy the cheesecake bar recipe. Anything with cheesecake in the title is good in my opinion!
    Adele

Originally posted by MiMo
    Thanks a lot for posting this recipe. I cannot find chocolate wafer cookies in any of the grocery stores near my house...no Famous Amos, no Chocolate Nilla wafers...NOTHING!!!
    They might be in the ice cream section with the cones and toppings. Thats where I find them.

If you can't find any and don't want to make them, you can use Oreo crumbs - either ones you crush yourself or the ones in the box in the baking section. I've done this for cheesecakes and it works. Just don't add extra sugar to the base if the recipe specifies.

Hmmmm...I'll have to look in the ice cream section or near the toppings display. I never thought of that. I haven't seen the Oreo crumbs, either. I guess I have some looking to do.

I'm going to use the recipe YP posted when I have the time to make something all the way from scratch. The recipe sounds too good to pass up...and the wafers seem too easy not to make. It would be nice to have some "convenience" chocolate crumbs on hand for the times I am in a pinch, though.

Thanks for the input, Cafe Latte.

These won't have any trans fat, if you are worried about that in store bought cookies.

test - to be deleted

Originally posted by ewatkins
    These won't have any trans fat, if you are worried about that in store bought cookies.
    That's why I like them!

Really everyone, try these! They are just like the store-bought ones!

Mine are all packed in my freezer ready to be cheesecake on the weekend!
    Adele

Originally posted by yorkshirepud

Mine are all packed in my freezer ready to be cheesecake on the weekend!
    Mine never made it to the freezer. We ate them all.
    Oh, but they were so good...and worth the 45-minute stationary bike workouts. I hope to bake some more soon so I can actually use them in a recipe...and keep them out of my mouth.

Originally posted by MiMo

Mine never made it to the freezer. We ate them all.
    Not to worry. Mine only lasted in the freezer until after dinner and then DH and I ate them while watching TV. Thankfully I only made 1/2 a batch!

I plan on making them again Sunday for a cheesecake next week. Or maybe I should just wait and make them the day of!

Glad you liked them! I agree, that are very gooooood!
    Adele

Arrrrgh! I feel sick...I scarfed about 6 of these delicious little niblets as soon as they came out of the oven. Why did I do that??? They were good though!
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

They are good huh?

I going to play around this recipe - adding mint extract, almond extract etc. I'm also thinking these would be a great cookie, enlarged, for ice-cream sandwiches. I cooked them last week for a cheesecake and they didn't get as crunchy, they were slighly fudgy. Perfect for ice-cream sandwiches.

I'm also thinking you could use them for layered cookies too.
    Adele

Originally posted by yorkshirepud
    I'm also thinking these would be a great cookie, enlarged, for ice-cream sandwiches. I cooked them last week for a cheesecake and they didn't get as crunchy, they were slighly fudgy. Perfect for ice-cream sandwiches.

I'm also thinking you could use them for layered cookies too.
    Hmmm...they would be very good for all of these uses. I was thinking Whoopie Pies myself...
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

Originally posted by HejazSunKat

Hmmm...they would be very good for all of these uses. I was thinking Whoopie Pies myself...
    I've never had one of those, but I think I've seen them in one of my cookie books.
    Adele

Thanks for posting this. I don't remember seeing it earlier, but I love those wafers, can't always find them, hate paying that much for a small box of simple cookies --especially when I get a stale box. :mad: My son would also love the mint variation. Sounds like something we will also have top try. I could see the almond variation too, possibly with some almond slices in them, or a coffe/mocha version. My mom would like orange and chocolate -- the list goes on. Thanks again.

Beth,

Almond slices is a good idea. The list is endless I think for this recipe.

Enjoy!
    Adele

Adele (or anyone else who has Bittersweet the cookbook),

Have you tried anything else out of this book? I just got it a few days ago and all the recipes look delicious! I got some cocoa nibs at Sur La Table today and plan on making something with them, not sure what yet. Thanks,

Shannon
    I was born okay the first time thanks.
    -random bumper sticker

Thanks YP...I am tucking this recipe away for future reference.

Linda.....love, love whoopie pies. In fact DD made some this weekend. Oh, and I love your graphic!

Thanks for posting! I love the chocolate wafers but never could believe how much they charge for them.

Originally posted by Mamasue
    Linda.....love, love whoopie pies. In fact DD made some this weekend.
    My thighs swell just thinking about them. MY SIL, Jackie, makes the BEST Whoopie Pies. They're definitely an indulgence, just the thought of Crisco kind of makes me wheeze, but sometimes you gotta have a whoopie pie:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Whoopie Pies a la Jackie

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 36 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------

For Cake:
    1/2 cup Vegetable shortening -- Crisco
    1 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 cups Flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    3/4 cup Hershey's cocoa
    1 cup milk
    For Filling:
    1/2 cup Vegetable shortening -- Crisco
    1 cup Confectioner's sugar
    1 cup Marshmallow fluff -- (use a little more)
    1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
    4 Tablespoons milk -- 4-5

Cake: Cream Crisco, add sugar gradually, beating after each addition. Add egg and vanilla. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt and cocoa. Add to egg mixture alternately with milk. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 425 for 7 minutes. Cool on rack

For Filling: Cream Crisco, add confectioner's sugar and blend well. Add marshmallow. Add milk a little bit at a time just enough to make a fluffy mixture. Add vanilla. When cakes are cool enough, frost underside of one with filling and cover with a second cake.

Source:
    "Lowell Sun"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 139 Calories; 6g Fat (41.0% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 6mg Cholesterol; 98mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.
    Linda

Erma Bombeck

Linda...I have the exact same recipe and if you are a true whoopie pie indulger than you will love these too....

* Exported from MasterCook *

OATMEAL WHOOPIE PIES

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 36 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies/Bars

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 cups dark brown sugar
    3/4 cup butter or margarine
    2 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    3 tablespoons boiling water
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 cups quick cooking oats
    1 egg white
    2 tablespoons milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 cups powdered sugar
    3/4 cup shortening

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheets.

2. Cream butter or margarine with the brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and mix well. Stir in the salt, cinnamon, baking powder, boiling water, baking soda and flour. Mix to combine. Stir in the oats.

3. Drop cookies onto the prepared cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. Let cookies cool, then make sandwiches from the two cookies filled with the whoopie pie filling.

To make filling:

Beat egg white. Mix in the milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 cup powdered sugar. Beat in the shortening and remaining 1 cup powdered sugar. Beat until light.

Source:
    "marthastewart.com"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 198 Calories; 9g Fat (39.3% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 21mg Cholesterol; 127mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Sue's Notes: These are soft oatmeal cookies sandwiched together with a creamy vanilla filling. Yummy! Great as a single cookie too!

Originally posted by britneyelise
    Adele (or anyone else who has Bittersweet the cookbook),

Have you tried anything else out of this book? I just got it a few days ago and all the recipes look delicious! I got some cocoa nibs at Sur La Table today and plan on making something with them, not sure what yet. Thanks,

Shannon
    Shannon,

I had it, and took it back. I'm now wondering whether to get it again as I've had two winners from it.

The chocolate wafers obviously, and the Warm Mocha Tart. The tart is really yummy, the crust is like a cookie. I bake the filling though as I found it wasn't setting in a cooling oven. I bake it for approximately 25 mins at 350. I also did the nut variation, but used almonds instead of hazelnuts and added almond extract to the filling.

Once, I also added Bailey's to the filling. I just omitted 3 tbsps of the cream (I used half and half) and added 3 tbsps of Bailey's. Any liquer would work.
    Adele