Community Message Boards

Thread: How Much Liquid Smoke?

Question How Much Liquid Smoke?

Liquid smoke is something I've always thought of as an aberration. I've stauchly refused to do any recipe that had it. Until now. The new Rival crockpot cookbook has some "Smokey Joes" made with ground turkey, green pepper, onion and the usual bbq type ingredients as well as Liquid Smoke. I bit the bullet and bought some last night. The recipe calls for one TBSP for what is three pounds ground turkey. This sounds like a lot and once done, there's no going back. Do you think I should cut it back as a precaution? How much? Two tsps or so? Or is that too little?

I'm totally clueless about this stuff. I don't even want to know what's in it!

BOB

Since you're not accustomed to using it I would agree that 1 tbs would probably be overwhelming. I would cut it back to a tsp for the first go-round and see how you like it. We use it quite a bit down here and I especially like to use it for brining and then grill on the gas grill.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Found this for you:

∑When Used As An Ingredient: Add An Equal Part Of Water To This Concentrate And Use 1 to 2 Teaspoons Per 5 Lb. Of Meat.

∑When used As A Marinade: 1 To 2 Oz. Of Concentrate Per Gallon Of Water

∑When Used As A Spray: Dilute With An Equal Amount Of Water And Spray Meat Once Or Twice On Each Side
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

That last one makes quite a difference. Based on what you said earlier and their recommendation, I think I should start with just the one teaspoon.

Thanks!
    BOB

Where do you find liquid smoke in the grocery store??? DH isn't a great "smokey" person, but I am. Would like to try it!
    Curleytop

Originally posted by Curleytop
    Where do you find liquid smoke in the grocery store??? DH isn't a great "smokey" person, but I am. Would like to try it!
    LOL. I had to ask and the clerk practically took me by the hand to lead me to it. It was in the section with all the marinades, grill, stirfry and barbecue sauces.

BOB

I love liquid smoke! YUM!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

As a vegetarian, I use liquid smoke fairly often when making a recipe that originally had bacon in it. It's pretty subtle but you probably would be better off not using the entire amount and then tasting before serving. You can add more then. There's nothing harmful in it, either. Go ahead, read the label!