Community Message Boards

Thread: Valentine luncheon help

Valentine luncheon help

I host a Ladies' Valentine's Luncheon each year. Acutally, two years ago, it was a brunch and I made an egg casserole and cinnamon rolls. Last year, for lunch, I served salad with cranberries and two choices of sandwich (chicken salad with pesto and sundried tomatoes and turkey with mango chutney and stilton).

I'm having a hard time deciding what to make this year. Does anyone have any great lunch ideas? I would like them to be light. I'm considering: soup, quiche, a casserole, sandwich or salad.

Also, I'm trying to decide about dessert. Last year, I made the CL Choc. CHunk bread puddings and they were delish. How about Chocolate Decadence from this year's DEc. (?) issue?? Any other suggestions?

TIA!!!! Kelly

Soup sounds good (maybe a choice of two kinds?), and you could serve it with mini sandwiches on rolls (homemade if you have time!) Maybe something with strawberries as a side....a salad or possibly fruit kabobs. Chocolate for dessert sounds ideal!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

How about the Zucchini/Tomato Quiche? I'm making that Sunday night, the recipe is in a very recent thread, can't remember who posted it,(sneezles?) but I can find it if you like. It has swiss cheese and feta in it. It sounds great, light and easy and it's crustless.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

How about a main course salad ... I'm making a lobster, grapefruit & avacado salad (from epicurious.com) ... or a nicoise salad? Both are light enough, but still special.
    JMW - Mpls

I like all of the ideas. I'm a little wary of soup b/c we have to eat on our laps (most likely) although I could try to seat everyone. Anyway, has anyone tried any of the CL quiches??

Depending on what you decide for the rest of the meal, if soup would make a nice starter, then you could serve just small amounts of soup in espresso cups or punch cups. Maybe some variation on tomato soup -- tomato basil, tomato fennel, etc. It could be just a little kick off to the lunch and easy enough for people to handle without your changing to a sitdown style since that's not what you had planned.

A strata is nice for a brunch. It can be prepared the night before and baked the next day. CL has some that are delicious. One that I remember had broccoli and red peppers.
    Lee

I like the idea of soup in the small cups.

Any other ideas out there? I know V. Day is such a big romantic dinner holiday. I just need some lunch ideas!

I made this for a Mother's Day Luncheon and it was a big hit:

Curried Chicken Salad on a bed of red lettuce leaves, surrounded by fruit: cantaloupe slices, strawberries, grapes, blackberries or whatever fruit is in season right now. Of course, the choice and quality is better in May than February. I loved arranging the fruit and the plates looked beautiful. That might not be an option though if this is a large luncheon.

I threw a bridal shower last September for 20 and made two Wild Rice Chicken Casseroles -- contains both cheddar and cream cheese. We had strawberry and spinach salad and mini muffins with mimosas to drink. If you want any of these recipes let me know. I love throwing "girlie" events -- they are the most fun to plan! Good luck!
    Michelle

ooops, I forgot to comment on dessert and that is always my favorite course! I make vanilla cupcakes with pink icing and red sugar sprinkles for Valentines's Day each year. They look so pretty and you can make them ahead then set them on a tray surrounded with ivy, roses, whatever flowers are available.

Also, I see that you live in KC. We always get our birthday cakes from an adorable lady named CJ who lives right by KU Med Center. Her cakes are delicous and inexpensive. The label that comes on her cake boxes states that she specializes in "chocolate fantasies". I am not sure what that entails since we always just buy her white birthday cake but you could give her a call. Her number is in the white pages under "Land of Sweet Fantasy". Keep her in mind if you don't have time to bake something yourself. Let us know what you decide to make and how the lunch turns out!
    Michelle