Community Message Boards

Thread: puff pastry & crescent roll dough

puff pastry & crescent roll dough

I have a recipe for some appetizers - it calls for crescent roll pillsbury pastry (the kind you pop out of the tube). I can't find any in my store - can I substitute puff pastry? What do you think ...

Thanks!
    Katie Vieceli

Yes, I think you can substitute one for the other. The puff pastry will be a little more "puffy." Do you need the dimensions of a crescent roll? I happen to have some in the fridge.

Re: puff pastry & crescent roll dough

Originally posted by kvieceli
    I have a recipe for some appetizers - it calls for crescent roll pillsbury pastry (the kind you pop out of the tube). I can't find any in my store - can I substitute puff pastry? What do you think ...

Thanks!
    Hello Katie!

I've been using a lot of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls lately, and every time I pop open a tube I think "Hmmmmmmmm. This recipe would probably work even better with actual puff pastry." So yes, I think it would work. In fact, puff pastry would probably taste much better. What kind of appetizers are you making?

The recipe is Pepperoni Pinwheels - a childhood favourite! I don't have the recipe right now (exactly ... must call Mom!) but it involved basically mixing chopped pepperoni, cheese (mozzarella) and a bit of egg. Flatten the pastry into a square (just with hands, no rolling pin) and spread mixture across the square, thinly (leave room at edge to seal). Roll up the dough and cut the log into rounds about 1" thick. Bake 8-10 minutes at 350 (this is the part I am making up!) and they are delish! Okay - I am going to try it and I'll let you know how the puff pastry works!

K
    Katie Vieceli

Originally posted by kvieceli
    Okay - I am going to try it and I'll let you know how the puff pastry works!

K
    Excellent! Can't wait to hear the verdict. Schuh is right. The pinwheels might be a little puffier than they would be with the pinwheels, but that might be a good thing in this case.