Community Message Boards

Thread: Air Purifiers

Air Purifiers

Does anyone own an air purifier for help with allergies? If so what model/brand do you have and how many square feet does it help? Anything you don't like about them? Noise, smell, cleaning???

TIA

Laura

Thanks for posting this. I read recently where Consumers Union is supposed to post an apology regarding their information regarding these.

After reading your question, I decided to go take a look and this is what I found:
    www.airpurifierforums.com/forum/article388.html
    Good luck
    J!
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

I was converted!

When we bought our house, the previous owners were smokers. Before we moved in, we have every surface painted, the carpets and airvents cleaned, and we let the house air out with the windows open.

We moved in, and I spent the first night in tears because I could not breathe in the bedroom. I was so angry at myself for being such a fool- I KNOW that I am allergic to smoke- why did I buy a smoker's house?

When I spoke to my sister the next morning, she told me the same story (except her allergy was cats). She bought an air filter, and was able to sleep and live in her house. I was still not convinced, but we plopped down the money, and placed it in our bedroom. WOW! You would not believe the difference. I really thought this was a product that was kind of silly, until I used it.

We still have it running most of the time in our bedroom (which is really huge). You would not believe the amount of gook that we clean out of it.

We bought a Holmes version- a big stand-up kind from Target. It does make a good amount of noise, but it is a white noise sound, so it does not bother us at all. Cleaning it is no big deal. I usually place the filters right into a plastic grocery bag and tie it right up. Once in a great while, I will also vaccum out the unit and clean it out with wipes.

I really never would have thought that it would make as much difference as it does. If you are allergic to dust, I would also suggest getting the allergy pillow case things. They make a big difference for us.

I have 2 of the ionic breezes and swear buy them. I have 2 dogs and a cat and they help keep the dander and the dust down in the house quite a bit.
    Laurie

Smile

I love my ionic breeze from Sharper image. I have 2 of the taller ones. One in the bedroon and one in the family room. I have a shorter one in each of the kids bedrooms. My daughter always complained of throat problems and sniffles. Since we bought the ionic breeze she has never complained. We have forced air heat so there is alot of dust whirling around. We have a dog and 2 cats. You would not believe the black stuff that I clean out of there. Gross. These air purifers are silent and create a constant breeze. The gunk collects on stainless steel bars and all you do is wipe off the bars. You should check these out we are very happy with them.

For those of you that use the Ionic Breeze, what model do you have and how many square feet does it cover?

Thanks,

Laura

I have the larger model and it says it covers 500sf. (one large room or 2 smaller ones) you can buy refurbished ones on bay at some pretty good prices. There was a thread here a month or 2 ago on this subject. but I dont know how to attach a thread if you want more info on what people have to say about theirs
    Laurie