Community Message Boards

Thread: What size is your cookie sheet (and Silpat?)

What size is your cookie sheet (and Silpat?)

I bought a Silpat at Williams Sonoma that was labeled a "cookie sheet liner". When I got it home, it was 13 by 13 -- a very small square, and not for a cookie sheet. I took it back to W-S and asked about it. The salesperson was a little snippy and told me that was the size of a cookie sheet. I told her that was way too small for what I considered a cookie sheet. She then pulled out something she called a "Half sheet", which was 10 by 15 -- also a small cookie sheet in my opinion. The sheet I use is 14 by 17 -- what size do most people use for cookies? And what size can I get for a Silpat that will fit?

Mine are the jelly roll type sized pans (chicago metallic and some non-stick baking sheets) I do have one more question: Since when are cookie sheets square? I would also like to add that when I got mine(exopat brand) from Amazon it never fit the cookie sheets I have either but I still use it, it just hangs over a little and this probably isn't a good idea but I don't like doing dishes either.

Thought I would add a question to this also, even tough I don't think I would ever do it, but can the silpats be cut down and where can I buy sheets of parchment paper(which you could use in place of silpat), the rolls "roll-up" when I try to use them.

I don't think I've ever seen a square cookie sheet. But then maybe I just didn't recognize it as one. I have 2 sets. The very old rimless ones are 12x15. The newer ones with rims are 12x17 at the top and a little less than 11 1/2 x 16 1/2 on the bottom where the Silpat would lie.

Through their catalog and online Williams Sonoma sells two sizes silpats. The one they describe as the cookie sheet liner is the 13x13 but they have what they call a sheet pan liner which is 11x16 and would better fit your cookie sheet. Online the two sizes are selling for the same price. I'm not sure if I can make a link to the page on their website:
    WS Silpats

My cookie sheet is 12x16 and I use the "sheet pan" silpat on it.

Originally posted by cinnabun
    Thought I would add a question to this also, even tough I don't think I would ever do it, but can the silpats be cut down and where can I buy sheets of parchment paper(which you could use in place of silpat), the rolls "roll-up" when I try to use them.
    Hiya,

I'm not sure about the cutting of the silpat (maybe it can be done), but the parchment paper thing - it does that to me too - I just rip off the size I need, fold it into quarters, unfold it, and put it down.

Voila! It stays down for you

Happy baking (and back to the regularly schedules thread),
    Kayla
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

You can usually buy packets of parchment paper at the grocery store. They're usually hanging on the shelf or on the endcap. I have also bought some re-usable stuff (not quite parchemtn paper not quite a silpat). I have 2 rimmed sheets that are 13x17 and 2 Exopats for them. One trick for getting the parchment paper to lie flat is to spray the pan lightly with cooking spray.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

The Silpats I bought were labelled "standard cookie sheet". I thought I HAD standard cookie sheets, but the mats are about an inch too big all round. (I turn the cookie sheets over and use the Silpats on the bottom. They're not square...

Isn't there a warning on Silpats that if cut or damaged they can release glass fibres?

Is Exopat the same thing? It sounds as if they come in a good size. Where do you find them?

Originally posted by ewatkins
    Is Exopat the same thing? It sounds as if they come in a good size. Where do you find them?
    Yes, I think their just another brand name and I bought them at amazon.com really cheap during a Friday sale but here's a link to the regular price: Exopats at amazon.com
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thanks for answering the question about the parchment paper. I will have to remember to try the folding in quarters and then laying it on the sheet. I tried the spraying method, it didn't work out very well. I will also look in the store for the sheets the next time I go and walk down the aisle they are in.