Community Message Boards

Thread: Quick! Dog ate 15 Hershey kisses!!!

Unhappy Quick! Dog ate 15 Hershey kisses!!!

If anyone is on the board who can tell me how scared I need to be - please help!

We were finishing my DD's valentine bags, went upstairs to dinner, and came down afterwards to find that Rocky, our 60-lb black lab had eaten the leftover 15 hershey kisses! That's about 1.1 oz of milk chocolate.

I did a quick search and found that this amount should only cause some (more) hyper behavior tonight and maybe some, ah, poopy issues tomorrow. A call to my vet will cost me over $100 right now - so if anyone has any experience like this and can let me know, I'd appreciate it!
    I am still learning. - Michelangelo

Been there, done that.

Doesn't sound like a problem for such a big dog. However, if you're very concerned spoon feed him 2 oz. of hydrogen peroxide to make him vomit. But if he's not sick now, you're probably fine.

My last dog ate 4 candy bars (he was 15 pounds) and started throwing up a little, at which point we called the vet who told us about the peroxide thing. It worked - he barfed it all up and was sort of worn out the next day.

Hope this helps!

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Chris,

On Xmas Eve my sister's dog ate 3 of those very LARGE Hershey Kisses...and has eaten whole bags of oreos...and ...nothing...never got sick, vomited...ziltch...and Madison does not weigh as much as Rocky...

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Thanks so much, Debi and Gail too! - he's sitting here chewing his Kong, acting just peachy. I'll keep an eye on him for the next few hours and use the hydrogen peroxide trick if needed.

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!!

I once had a cocker-beagle mix who ate 12 oz of chocolate chips and part of a pound of unsweetened chocolate. Back then I had never heard that chocolate was supposed to be poisonous for dogs, so I didn't do anything about it (except realize I would have to put chocolate where she couldn't reach it.) There were some poopy issues for a day or two, but that was all. She was fine.

This link might reassure you:

http://mirabos.bham.ac.uk/ukclub/toxicchoc.htm

According to it, the toxic dose of milk chocolate for a 60-pound dog is 60 oz. I think Rocky will be fine.

Our dogs have eaten significant quantities of chocolate before. The first time, we called our vet in a frenzy and he reassured us that they would be fine. Just keep an eye on him and make sure he stays out of the baking chocolate.

P.S. This site has some signs to watch for:

http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES...olatetoxic.HTM

I know how scared you must have felt, but let this put your mind at ease. My dog - a miniature poodle (she doesn't look like the froo-froo kind, so don't judge!) - ate 13 ounces of chocolate!

I was in the fifth grade and putting together decoupaged boxes of chocolate for my teachers, and she got to them first. The vet told us to give her a capful of peroxide (!!) so she would vomit the chocolate up (I know, I know, not really going to jump up and eat chocolate after this, are ya?).

Long story short - she got better. BOY did she get better. I'd say several hours later, she was back to her feisty, way too goofy self.

I'm more than sure that your lab will be as good as new in no time.

Just keep that chocolate farther away from him in the future!

Kayla
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

little warning about the peroxide method--it works. OH BOY does it work. It works so good that you are going to want to do this outside, unless of course you like cleaning foamy dog vomit!

Our beagle at 2 bags of those foil-covered chocolate coins at Grandma's house this past Christmas. He has eaten far worse, so we weren't all that worried for his health, but we had a 10-hour car ride home with him the next day, and we couldn't abide 10 hours of a whining, sick dog. So we did the peroxide thing (which had been suggested by the vet before). You have to squirt it down their throat with a turkey baster, then sort of stand back. He didn't puke right away--instead, he waited until we were in the car on the way home from Grandma's, and the puked while my mom was holding him. It was the biggest mess! Foamy vomit everywhere. So watch out!
    Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine. --Anthony J. D'Angelo, The College Blue Book

Vacuuming in high heels

Originally posted by Heidi
    little warning about the peroxide method--it works. OH BOY does it work. It works so good that you are going to want to do this outside, unless of course you like cleaning foamy dog vomit!...

... It was the biggest mess! Foamy vomit everywhere. So watch out!
    ... This is true
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

Our dog is 35 lbs and ate a Godiva Santa Claus, foil and all. Our vet recommeded a bland diet until everything "passes".. You boil some ground beef or lean turkey and mix it with rice instead of their usual food.. This really helps! I wouldn't bother with the peroxide for such a large dog.

Apparently Rocky has been watching Chocolate week on foodtv and reading all the Valentine's chocolate recipes on the BB. Can you blame him?

BOB

I swear, it's a good thing Rocky is so cute.....

He seems to be just fine - I stayed up until 1am with him (while he slept on the recliner - who's got who trained?!?),let him outside, and let him outside a few extra times this morning, just in case. He's romping like he usually does and loves the extra attention.

And BOB, it's a good thing *I* haven't been watching foodtv this week - or I'd be the one overdosing on the good stuff!!

Thanks so much everyone, and WOOF! (that's from Rocky)

-Chris

Our Jack Russell Terrier ate a dozen Hershey Kisses that my daughter left out on the floor last year. I called my vet and he told me that milk chocolate is the least dangerous chocolate for a dog to eat, because it's got milk and sugar and other stuff added into it. Pure dark chocolate can be the most harmful to dogs' systems, apparently. Our dog didn't seem to have any kind of reaction to the kisses he ate, though it's a bit hard to tell since Jack Russells are naturally on the hyper side. Glad your dog did okay last night!

Chris, glad Rocky is OK!

Gail, I just had to comment on your dog eating 3 big Hershey kisses. OMG!! You mean the ones that are like a pound? Foil and all?? He must have felt so sick afterwards!

My dog once ate some baking chocolate. I think it was just a couple squares and our vet said to just watch her. Anyway, she was usually a totally laid back dog. After eating the chocolate she was so hyper for a good 12 hours.

This isn't chocolate-related, but this same dog once ate at least 15 apples. It was the second day we had her. We went out and gated her into the kitchen. She got to the bowl of apples on the counter and ate every last one. All she left were fifteen little stems on the floor.