Community Message Boards
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Quick! Dog ate 15 Hershey kisses!!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    31

    Unhappy Quick! Dog ate 15 Hershey kisses!!!

    If anyone is on the board who can tell me how scared I need to be - please help!

    We were finishing my DD's valentine bags, went upstairs to dinner, and came down afterwards to find that Rocky, our 60-lb black lab had eaten the leftover 15 hershey kisses! That's about 1.1 oz of milk chocolate.

    I did a quick search and found that this amount should only cause some (more) hyper behavior tonight and maybe some, ah, poopy issues tomorrow. A call to my vet will cost me over $100 right now - so if anyone has any experience like this and can let me know, I'd appreciate it!
    I am still learning. - Michelangelo

  2. #2
    Been there, done that.

    Doesn't sound like a problem for such a big dog. However, if you're very concerned spoon feed him 2 oz. of hydrogen peroxide to make him vomit. But if he's not sick now, you're probably fine.

    My last dog ate 4 candy bars (he was 15 pounds) and started throwing up a little, at which point we called the vet who told us about the peroxide thing. It worked - he barfed it all up and was sort of worn out the next day.

    Hope this helps!

    Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Posts
    4,522
    Chris,

    On Xmas Eve my sister's dog ate 3 of those very LARGE Hershey Kisses...and has eaten whole bags of oreos...and ...nothing...never got sick, vomited...ziltch...and Madison does not weigh as much as Rocky...

    ~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

    ~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    31
    Thanks so much, Debi and Gail too! - he's sitting here chewing his Kong, acting just peachy. I'll keep an eye on him for the next few hours and use the hydrogen peroxide trick if needed.

    Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!!
    I am still learning. - Michelangelo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    1,898
    I once had a cocker-beagle mix who ate 12 oz of chocolate chips and part of a pound of unsweetened chocolate. Back then I had never heard that chocolate was supposed to be poisonous for dogs, so I didn't do anything about it (except realize I would have to put chocolate where she couldn't reach it.) There were some poopy issues for a day or two, but that was all. She was fine.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    12,330
    This link might reassure you:

    http://mirabos.bham.ac.uk/ukclub/toxicchoc.htm

    According to it, the toxic dose of milk chocolate for a 60-pound dog is 60 oz. I think Rocky will be fine.

    Our dogs have eaten significant quantities of chocolate before. The first time, we called our vet in a frenzy and he reassured us that they would be fine. Just keep an eye on him and make sure he stays out of the baking chocolate.

    P.S. This site has some signs to watch for:

    http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES...olatetoxic.HTM

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,146
    I know how scared you must have felt, but let this put your mind at ease. My dog - a miniature poodle (she doesn't look like the froo-froo kind, so don't judge!) - ate 13 ounces of chocolate!

    I was in the fifth grade and putting together decoupaged boxes of chocolate for my teachers, and she got to them first. The vet told us to give her a capful of peroxide (!!) so she would vomit the chocolate up (I know, I know, not really going to jump up and eat chocolate after this, are ya?).

    Long story short - she got better. BOY did she get better. I'd say several hours later, she was back to her feisty, way too goofy self.

    I'm more than sure that your lab will be as good as new in no time.

    Just keep that chocolate farther away from him in the future!

    Kayla
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Centennial, CO
    Posts
    640
    little warning about the peroxide method--it works. OH BOY does it work. It works so good that you are going to want to do this outside, unless of course you like cleaning foamy dog vomit!

    Our beagle at 2 bags of those foil-covered chocolate coins at Grandma's house this past Christmas. He has eaten far worse, so we weren't all that worried for his health, but we had a 10-hour car ride home with him the next day, and we couldn't abide 10 hours of a whining, sick dog. So we did the peroxide thing (which had been suggested by the vet before). You have to squirt it down their throat with a turkey baster, then sort of stand back. He didn't puke right away--instead, he waited until we were in the car on the way home from Grandma's, and the puked while my mom was holding him. It was the biggest mess! Foamy vomit everywhere. So watch out!
    Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine. --Anthony J. D'Angelo, The College Blue Book

    Vacuuming in high heels

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,146
    Originally posted by Heidi
    little warning about the peroxide method--it works. OH BOY does it work. It works so good that you are going to want to do this outside, unless of course you like cleaning foamy dog vomit!...

    ... It was the biggest mess! Foamy vomit everywhere. So watch out!
    ... This is true
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Denver CO
    Posts
    911
    Our dog is 35 lbs and ate a Godiva Santa Claus, foil and all. Our vet recommeded a bland diet until everything "passes".. You boil some ground beef or lean turkey and mix it with rice instead of their usual food.. This really helps! I wouldn't bother with the peroxide for such a large dog.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Un-American NY
    Posts
    8,610
    Apparently Rocky has been watching Chocolate week on foodtv and reading all the Valentine's chocolate recipes on the BB. Can you blame him?

    BOB

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    31
    I swear, it's a good thing Rocky is so cute.....

    He seems to be just fine - I stayed up until 1am with him (while he slept on the recliner - who's got who trained?!?),let him outside, and let him outside a few extra times this morning, just in case. He's romping like he usually does and loves the extra attention.

    And BOB, it's a good thing *I* haven't been watching foodtv this week - or I'd be the one overdosing on the good stuff!!

    Thanks so much everyone, and WOOF! (that's from Rocky)

    -Chris
    I am still learning. - Michelangelo

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    275
    Our Jack Russell Terrier ate a dozen Hershey Kisses that my daughter left out on the floor last year. I called my vet and he told me that milk chocolate is the least dangerous chocolate for a dog to eat, because it's got milk and sugar and other stuff added into it. Pure dark chocolate can be the most harmful to dogs' systems, apparently. Our dog didn't seem to have any kind of reaction to the kisses he ate, though it's a bit hard to tell since Jack Russells are naturally on the hyper side. Glad your dog did okay last night!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Posts
    2,196
    Chris, glad Rocky is OK!

    Gail, I just had to comment on your dog eating 3 big Hershey kisses. OMG!! You mean the ones that are like a pound? Foil and all?? He must have felt so sick afterwards!

    My dog once ate some baking chocolate. I think it was just a couple squares and our vet said to just watch her. Anyway, she was usually a totally laid back dog. After eating the chocolate she was so hyper for a good 12 hours.

    This isn't chocolate-related, but this same dog once ate at least 15 apples. It was the second day we had her. We went out and gated her into the kitchen. She got to the bowl of apples on the counter and ate every last one. All she left were fifteen little stems on the floor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •