Community Message Boards

Thread: How am I supposed to clean my Silpat??

How am I supposed to clean my Silpat??

I just used my Silpat for the first time and now have no idea exactly how it's supposed to be cleaned? Just by hand with soap and water, dishwasher??? Kid gloves or just scrub away?

Thanks!

I use mine JUST for baking cookies or candy making. I just put it on the countertop and use a wet paper towel. Then I dry it very well this a dry tea towel. I've had mine for about 6 years and I've always cleaned it like that. It seems to work fine. I'm afraid to scrub it and I don't think it really needs it. I do make it a point not to cook anything savory on it because of the flavor staying. Hope that helps.

Guest Guest
    I found this on the Amazon Editorial Review -

They're also easy to clean--simply wipe them off using hot water and dish soap. Store them by either rolling them up or keeping them flat.

Someone posted something regarding this around the holidays- I'm sorry I can't remember who it was. But anyway, she had found a solution to that greasy feeling that the Silpat develops. Clean it by sprinkling a little cornstarch (I used flour) on it and wipe with a damp cloth and then rinse. I tried it and it really seemed to take away that greasy residue that I know the manufacturer says is normal, but no less annoying.
    -Kim

My first one came without cleaning instructions and I put it in the dishwasher a couple of times. It didn't ruin it, but I won't be doing that again. It does prove that Silpats can take a little abuse, though.

The second Silpat gets soap and water only. Just make sure you rinse the soap off thoroughly or your cookies will taste like dish soap. I experienced this yesterday after a well-intentioned dinner guest threw my Silpat into a sink full of soapy water to soak.

I'm afraid I'm beginning to repeat myself, but here goes! I don't hand-wash ANYTHING. If it's too flimsy or frilly to go in the dishwasher, it doesn't come in my house. (Exception: I have some Wilton Armetale and similar items that I pull out at holidays only. My MIL washes them for me afterwards because she's the nervous sort who has to be doing something. And since I have two dishwashers, there's nothing for her to do.)

So, with the same intrepid spirit that leads me to put all manner of things in my dishwasher, the Silpat gets dishwashed every time. I load the dishwasher normally, then I throw the Silpat in on top of the glasses. It comes out clean every time.

If you're worried about the high temp in the dishwasher, don't be! The thing is designed to withstand really high oven temperatures, so don't worry about it! And the dishwasher detergent has never hurt mine yet, even though I have to use double the amount of it because of our hard water.

Dyanne