Community Message Boards

Thread: Ack! I don't like my hair color! Now what?

Exclamation Ack! I don't like my hair color! Now what?

I just colored my medium brown hair with a Clairol Herbal Essences colorant, and it came out waaaaaaay redder than I wanted. I checked their website to know if I can recolor over this, and they say to call-- only their call center isn't open on Sunday. What should I do?

Lisa, I've been there too. I never trust my hair color with color from boxes anymore... well, at least not Clairol, because I had had problems with it. Personally, I would go to a salon and have it professionally redone if it's not right. It's really hard to get hair color right after you've gone wrong once, and it good to have a professional opinion.

Oftentimes, these call centers are just employees whose job it is to answer questions regarding their products - not hair people who necessarily know what they're talking about

I'd go to a hair dresser, but good luck, hun! Let us know how it turns out...

Kayla
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be

I use the Natural Instincts type of hair color. It's not as harsh as regular dye and when it wears off, you don't have roots, so much as mousy brown hair.

You have several choices...wear scarves for a while, cut your hair really short for quick out-grow, or visit a professional which will be costly and will negate your use of a boxed product in the first place .
    "There's no food in your food!!" Joan Cusack to John Cusack in "Say Anything."

I would take a deep breath and not do anything about it for now. Anything you do could potentially (but not likely) make the situation way, way worse. Most likely re-coloring it today would just irritate your scalp, but I dunno, it could make it break off or fall out or something. And red hair's better than no hair, right?

Do you normally go to a salon for cuts and color? They might be open today (around here they're closed on Monday). Try calling them. Or call around until you find one that's open. They should be able to help.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

Originally posted by JHolcomb
    I would take a deep breath and not do anything about it for now. Anything you do could potentially (but not likely) make the situation way, way worse
    Good advice. It must be tempting to run down to the pharmacy and get something to mess with it some more so you probably need somebody to confiscate your car keys right now. Could it be that you're just not accustomed to seeing yourself this color and it's a little shock? I mean, you didn't say it was green or anything. I've got to believe the intensity is going to fade after a few washings. I know of at least one salon in my city (back home) that is open on Sundays so if you are really desperate, as in, can't face going to work tomorrow, maybe you could find somebody to tone it down for you today. Good luck Lisa!
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

Sigh. Y'all are such the voices of reason. Not what I wanted to hear.

Yeah, there's nothing inherantly wrong with the color, it's just not what I wanted. I guess I'll wait it out and use lots of shampoo over the next couple of days...

I would go the wait a few days route too with one added little bit. My stylist once told me that Prell shampoo is so harsh that they actually recommend it to customers who call with the same problem, apparently it works like a mild stripper. Good luck, I've been in your situation before!

Robyn

I have recolored my hair the next day. The at home colorants aren't that abrasive. You wouldn't have to leave it on your hair for the full 20 or 30 minutes. Red does fade very fast. I wish it would last longer...I found a color that I like, but it only lasted a week. My mother is a beautician and she's helped me in crises. I did get my hair VERY red with Natural Instincts, but my husband loved it. My nickname at work became Red. He wouldn't let me recolor it. You could get the Clarol lasting color which is a 1 and has not peroxide or ammonia. Its just a wash. It will wash out in a week, but by then the red will fade and the colors will blend. Your chances of hair falling our or breakages would be due to a lot of peroxide and ammonia.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

I think I read somewhere that Dawn dishsoap will also strip the color away. Just lots of hair washing

I have had good luck with Aveda products when this has happened to me. Aveda makes shampoos and conditioners that are all natural, but have color in them. Completely temporary color. You could buy their brown shampoo and conditioner and it will help tone down the red.

Take a deep breath and relax for a few days.

Red is a very tough color to maintain. My mom colors her hair reddish-brown. The red washes away after a few washes and you can barely tell it is red anymore. It is probably the hardest color to achieve longevity with.

So chances are, after a few washes, it will tone down and not be as red.

If it is still not to your liking, then go to a professional. They can help you fix it with minimal damage.

The first thing you should do is post a picture and let us be the judge of it

And, in my experience, water and shampoo are a fake hair color's natural enemies, so if you really want to get rid of it, then go take a nice long shower

Em

I agree with sunberst. If it's one of the shampoo-in temporary colors, the color will fade in a few days to a more reasonable shade. I've played around with several different shades, and some just seemed too bright or red when it was first done (even when I use something like "medium golden brown"), but has settled down pretty quickly. I've never used the permanent dyes, so don't know if they work the same way, although I'm guessing from your comment about a lot of shampooing that it wasn't permanent.

And we'll still love you (and so will Corey), no matter what your hair color is.
    But if it turns to orange, we'll probably talk about it behind your back.
    Susan

So many books--So little time.

Originally posted by sushibones
    And we'll still love you (and so will Corey), no matter what your hair color is.
    But if it turns to orange, we'll probably talk about it behind your back.
    But who's this Corey and will my Cory understand???

And if you're friends can't laugh at you behind your freakish back, who can?

I think Corey is the one with the bouncing bazoom. I'm pretty sure Cory will understand.

Shame on me--friends would never talk behind your back. If they were true friends, they'd say right to your face, "What's up with the freakish orange hair, girlfriend? It just ain't you."

Your friend,

Susan

Originally posted by emily
    The first thing you should do is post a picture and let us be the judge of it
    Yeah. What she said.

Sorry, Lisa. Not wanting to make fun of your situation. I do agree with Susan, though - understand that even though you may not like it, we (and Cory, and Corey, and even Bill) will love you no matter what.

xo

Bill. *Snort*

(((((((((Lisa)))))))))

You have received lots of good advice here. I just want to give you a friendly reminder to give your traumatized hair a good conditioning.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Try the Biolage color conditioner in "Natural Brown", it's a nice ashy medium brown with good colour depositing qualities and is also an excellent conditioner. It should cover the red tones quite a bit. Artec also makes a colour shampoo called "Cocoa Bean" that might work to cover some of the red.

You'll need good conditioner after washing your hair in dish soap or strong shampoo, but they really will remove the colour.

I've also heard that heat fades colour, hot water, a hot wet towel and a good hot blow dryer might help.

It's much better today. I washed with Costco brand shampoo that DH uses and left the suds on my hair while I finished my shower. It toned it down a bit, to where I don't think I need to "fix" it. I've gotten two compliments on it today. By the end of the week I bet it will be where I want it.

Thanks everyone, for the advice that red fades and to hold tight.

So what's so awful about being a redhead...?

Lisa, personally I think you've got the personality to carry it off, but if you're so intent on getting it (yawn) 'toned down', just wash it every day, but remember that the peroxide in the color stripped your hair a little. Too much shampoo/detergent will strip it more. Make sure you condition well!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Jewel, thanks for the laugh!!

Lisa I came on this afternoon to find out about your hair, thanks for the update! Glad it is better. My mother's hairdresser tried to give me streaks, I ended up looking like a skunk My mom came down to see it and immediately called the hairdresser. She conditioned my hair for an hour, then recolored. My mom changed hairdressers!!
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer