Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing up the age old problem of Appetizer Help!

Bringing up the age old problem of Appetizer Help!

Saturday we are participating in a house crawl where each house has an appetizer and a drink. We are participating with our neighbors and they are making snickers martinis. I have to come up with the appetizer. We are next to the last house and the house before ours is doing chili and cornbread, thinking by that point we'll need a little more substance! So we discussed last night that the quickest thing would be to do little sandwiches, say with ham salad. But I want other interesting ideas to put in them. Anyone have any?
    "...having dogs forces us to keep living in places that are right for us. And I think of all the things I might have given up had my dogs not shown me what was important in my life: fresh air, a garden, an eleven-thousand foot mountain in my backyard." - Pam Houston "The Bad Dogs of Park City"

www.peaceiswise.blogspot.com

What a fun idea!!!
    If I liked our neighborhood better (!) I would LOVE to set up something like that...

Our all-time favorite sandwiches are Chicken-and-Brie Sandwiches with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes...
    Kuvy

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
    Anais Nin (1903-1977)

Our neighborhood did something like that last month. A word of warning... by the time you are on the last couple of houses, people who have had a drink (or even half!) at every house are pretty toasted!

I like your idea of little sandwiches, how about doing some kind of a pinwheel wrap? You could make a cream cheese and roasted red pepper spread in the food processor, spread a layer of that on large flour tortillas, sprinkle with green onions and drained black beans, roll up and cut into pinwheels. I am sure there are other fillings you could do the same way.

For our progressive party, I made an Asian-style noodle salad. It was perfect b/c I could make it in advance, and the flavors melded while it sat. I just brought it out when we got to our house with plates, forks, and napkins, and I didn't have to do any additional last minute work. If you'd like a recipe, just let me know.

Have fun!
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

Kuvy, I also love those sandwiches but I need something smaller!

Rebecca, I know it's going to be messy which is why I want things to nibble and easy to just put on the table! I can't guarantee my own sobriety so the easier the better! I would also love that salad, it sounds like it might work well if I did that and small sandwiches on the side... Hmmmm....
    "...having dogs forces us to keep living in places that are right for us. And I think of all the things I might have given up had my dogs not shown me what was important in my life: fresh air, a garden, an eleven-thousand foot mountain in my backyard." - Pam Houston "The Bad Dogs of Park City"

Hmmm could make Chicken-and-Brie ROLLS with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes?

Anyway this is the next recipe that came to mind: Barbecue Pulled Chicken with Marinated Cucumbers from the April 2002 Cooking Light. However, the "Kitchen Assistant" on the Cooking Light home page won't bring up this recipe - no matter what variations of the title I use (I searched under the actual title, under Barbecue Chicken, Marinated Cucumber, Chicken Cucumber, Cucumber Vinegar, etc etc - isn't that odd??)
    I do have the recipe though and can type it up if you're interested.

Anyway while I was searching for that one, I came across this one which looks downright yummy too, although not a sandwich:

Spicy Chicken Bites With Cucumber Dip

I also found this one:
    Carolina Blond-Barbecue Sandwich...

Here's something along the wrap theme as suggested by RebeccaT: Thai Chicken roll-ups

And a little more complicated:
    Chicken and Roast Beef Muffulettas.
    Kuvy

Anais Nin (1903-1977)

Oohh thanks, the Thai Chicken ones look like they might be good and would probably go with the salad that Rebecca mentioned. How do you think this would all do with Snickers Martinis?

I can recommend this one too

Barbecue Pulled Chicken with Marinated Cucumbers
    Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine. April 2002. Page: 156.
    Serving Size : 4

1/4 cup light brown sugar
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 cup thinly sliced onion
    1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    Cucumbers:
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons light brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
    Remaining ingredient:
    4 hamburger buns (2 ounces, each)

1. To prepare chicken, combine first 6 ingredients. Rub surface of chicken breasts with brown sugar mixture. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan. Add onion to pan; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring constantly.

2. Return chicken to pan; add broth. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove from heat. Remove chicken from pan; shred with 2 forks. Return chicken to pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in balsamic vinegar.

3. To prepare cucumbers, combine the cider vinegar and next 3 ingredients (cider vinegar through cucumber) in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator 10 minutes. Remove cucumber from bag; discard marinade.

4. Spoon 1 cup chicken mixture onto bottom half of each bun. Top each with 1/4 cup cucumber mixture and top half of bun. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich). 373 calories (15% fat), 6.4g fat, 32.7g protein, 3g fiber, 892mg sodium, 113mg calc
    I love the seashore. The ocean makes my butt look smaller.

Keg64- How did you get this one to pull up?!?!?!
    I swear I tried everything.

Hmmm - doesn't sound like tangy BBQ nor tangy Thai would go that great with Snickers Martinis, but since I'm a "more is more" type, I say go for it anyway!
    (I mean what WOULD go? -something bland??)
    Kuvy

Anais Nin (1903-1977)

Originally posted by Kuvy
    Keg64- How did you get this one to pull up?!?!?!
    I swear I tried everything.
    I didn't...I have it saved in a word document with all the billions of others that have caught my eye here
    I love the seashore. The ocean makes my butt look smaller.

I'm assuming the snickers martini is sweet & chocolaty? In that case, none of the ideas above sound appetizing to me ...

What about something with a hint of sweetness? Not SWEET, but ... roasted nuts? Or, going with the sandwich idea, nutbread or zucchini bread, just barely sweet, with a plain cream cheese filling? Or, the new thing is to pair chocolate & chilis, a la the Aztecs.

Then again, having snickers martinis BEFORE chili & cornbread sounds kind of stomach-churning to me, regardless of what type of food you serve with the martinis ...

Hmm. I forgot about the martinis. I am not sure if you should do a dessert-y martini with a sandwich or a salad. I like funniegrrl's idea of nut bread sandwiches w/ cream cheese... but then again, is anyone doing desserts? If you are the second-to-last house, maybe a dessert would be welcome by that point?

At any rate, here's the salad I mentioned:

SOBA NOODLE SALAD WITH CUCUMBER AND MANGO
    Soba noodles can be found in the Asian foods section of some supermarkets.

3/4 cup rice vinegar
    1/4 cup sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    3 large garlic cloves, chopped
    1 red jalapeño or serrano chile, seeded, chopped
    3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel

12 ounces green soba or chuka soba (Japanese-style) noodles

1 large English hothouse cucumber, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise
    1 large ripe mango, peeled, halved, pitted, thinly sliced crosswise
    1 cup chopped fresh basil
    1 cup chopped fresh mint
    1 cup chopped toasted salted peanuts
    Lime wedges

Warm vinegar, sugar, and salt in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Stir in garlic and jalapeño. Cool. Mix in lime juice, sesame oil, and lime peel.

Cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain well. Rinse under cold water; drain again. Transfer noodles to dish-towel-lined platter to drain. Transfer noodles to large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Add cucumber, mango, basil, and mint to noodles and toss gently. Arrange salad on platter. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Garnish with lime wedges. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature.)

Makes 12 servings.

Bon Appétit
    January 2004

Entertaining Made Easy
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

ACK! Now I don't know! And the chili will actually be the house before our presentation. I didn't realize this would be quite so difficult, though the nut bread idea seems interesting.

Anymore ideas are certaintly welcome!

Thanks for the salad recipe, if I don't use it I'll definetly file it away!

Originally posted by linsleyd
    Kuvy, I also love those sandwiches but I need something smaller!

There's no reason you can't make the chicken and brie sandwiches smaller. I made them for the New England klatch that I hosted. I just cut them into smaller strips out of the long loaves of bread. So instaed of cutting a loaf into 4 sections (or whatever), I cut the pieces narrower into 10 - or something like that. It's such a hearty sandwich that it worked out just fine.

How about grilled pound cake sandwiches? They could certainly be done ahead of time.

GRILLED POUND CAKE "SANDWICHES"

1/4 cup strawberry-flavored cream cheese
    1 tablespoon chopped sliced almonds, toasted
    4 slices frozen pound cake, thawed
    2 teaspoons butter, softened
    1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar

Combine cream cheese and almonds in a small bowl. Spread on one side of half of pound cake slices. Top with remaining cake slices.

Spread half of butter evenly on outside of one side of each sandwich. Place sandwiches, buttered side down, onto a hot, nonstick skillet or griddle. Cook over medium heat until golden. Spread remaining butter evenly on ungrilled side of sandwiches; turn and cook until golden. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Another grilled dessert sandwich:

Grilled Apple Dessert Panini with Yogurt Cheese
    (makes 4 servings)

Panini are a favorite Italian snack food - little grilled sandwiches - sometimes made with focaccia or other Italian breads and often filled with cheese and vegetables. Here, we made panini that would be wonderful for dessert or an evening snack, using our household staple: yogurt cheese. The little sandwiches take only minutes to make, but they're sure to satisfy a need for a "little sweet."

1/4 cup (60 g) yogurt cheese
    1 tablespoon orange honey
    1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) vanilla extract
    4 very thin slices white bread, crusts removed
    1 medium Gala apple
    ground cinnamon
    ground nutmeg
    refrigerated butter-flavored cooking spray

In a small bowl, combine yogurt cheese, 1 teaspoon of the honey, and vanilla extract. Spread 1 tablespoon of the mixture onto each bread slice.
    Core and thinly slice the apple, leaving the peel intact. Arrange apples slices, overlapping as needed, on top of the yogurt cheese on two slices of the bread. Lightly sprinkle the apples with cinnamon and nutmeg. Top with remaining bread slices, yogurt cheese side down.
    Heat a heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat and lightly coat with cooking spray. Cook the panini, until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from skillet and cut each panini in half. Arrange on a dessert plate and drizzle each half with 1/2 teaspoon of the honey. Serve hot.
    Per serving: 108 calories (8% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 1 g total fat (0.2 g saturated fat), 22 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 1 mg cholesterol, 132 mg sodium

Or...

Grilled Brie and Apples

INGREDIENTS
    10 firm, thin, white bread slices
    3/4 lb brie cheese, very thinly sliced
    2 large tart apples, peeled, quartered, cored, thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons salted butter

Place five bread slices on a clean surface. Cover each slice with a single layer of the cheese, trimming the cheese to fit the bread. Cover the cheese with a single layer of apple slices and another layer of the cheese. Top with the remaining bread slices to form five complete sandwiches.

Over low heat, melt the butter in a large saute pan or on a griddle - in batches if necessary. Using a small plate lightly weight each sandwich down. With the heat still on low, brown the sandwiches on one side for about four minutes. Remove the weights, and carefully flip the sandwiches over, replace weights and brown the sandwiches on the other side. Watch carefully.

Transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board. With a sharp knife, trim the crusts and cut each sandwich into quarters.

Serve immediately.

One more...

Brie Peach Sandwiches

This recipe is part of Linda Larsen's Elegant Sandwiches article.

You can add meat to this sandwich if you wish (fresh shrimp would be a fabulous addition, I think thinly sliced roasted chicken would be wonderful, too...JMHO), but the combination of tangy brie and the sweet and spicy peach preserves are perfect all by themselves.

1/2 cup peach preserves
    1 fresh peach, peeled and chopped
    1 tablespoon minced green onions
    1 teaspoon raspberry vinegar
    1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Combine all ingredients and set aside. Makes enough for 8 sandwiches.

For each sandwich:
    Mayonnaise
    Crusty French rolls
    Butter lettuce
    Brie cheese

Assemble sandwiches with the peach mixture.

sneezles does it again :)

I love the sound of the GRILLED POUND CAKE "SANDWICHES" .
    Kuvy

Anais Nin (1903-1977)

I second Sneezles'

Grilled Poundcake Sandwiches. I felt lost when I saw all the wonderful appetizers and kept thinking, Snickers Martinis?! Let us know what you decide!!
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

Here's yet another idea - Chicken Salad Cream Puffs. I made these for our supper club & they were polished off quickly.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Salad Cream Puffs

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 30 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Appetizers Cooking Light 1995

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    INGREDIENTS FOR CREAM PUFFS
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1 cup water
    2 tablespoons margarine
    2 egg whites
    1 egg
    Vegetable cooking spray
    Chicken Salad

INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN SALAD
    1/3 cup diced celery
    1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
    1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    2 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 (2-ounce) jar diced pimento
    1 3/4 cups chopped cooked chicken breast -- (3/4 pound)

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CREAM PUFFS:
    Combine the first 3 ingredients, and set aside.

Combine water and margarine in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; add the flour mixture, stirring well until mixture is smooth and pulls away from sides of pan. Remove from heat, and let cool 5 minutes.

Add egg whites and egg, 1 at a time, beating vigorously with a wooden spoon until smooth.

Spoon mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip, and pipe 30 (1-1/2-inch-round) mounds onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.

Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees, and bake an additional 10 minutes; let cool completely on a wire rack.

Cut tops off cream puffs; fill each cream puff with 1 tablespoon Chicken Salad.

Yield: 30 appetizers (serving size: 1 cream puff)

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CHICKEN SALAD:
    Combine the first 10 ingredients in a bowl, and stir well. Stir in chicken; cover and chill.

Yield: 2 cups (serving size: 1 tablespoon)

Source:
    "Cooking Light, April 1995, page 77"
    Copyright:
    "© Cooking Light"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 51 Calories; 3g Fat (44.8% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 14mg Cholesterol; 87mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Serving Ideas : Serve immediately.

How about these? I've made these ahead of time and just popped them in the oven.

Ham and Cheese Biscuit

3 pkgs Pepperidge Farm party rolls (I used petite croissant rolls)
    1 lb shaved baked ham
    3/4 lb swiss cheese
    2 sticks butter
    3 TBLS Poppy Seed
    3 TBLS dry mustard
    1 med onion, grated finely
    1 TBLS worchesterchire sauce

Mix last five ingredients.
    Slice rolls
    Spread mixture on roll bottom
    top with ham and cheese and roll top
    Place on cookie sheet
    cover with foil and bake 350* 20 minutes

Thanks for all of the ideas, now I have to sit down and figure out what to do. I do like the idea of the poundcake sand. and maybe either small chicken and brie or the chicken salad in cream puffs. Or the nut bread with cream cheese....
    I'll run the recipes by DH tonight and see what he thinks and I'll definetly let you all know exactly what we end up doing!

I like the nutbread idea, the grilled poundcaske sandwhiches or the peach and brie best with the Snickers Martini's...if you go the nutbread route, I have a good strawberry bread recipe (Weight Watchers one actually...but VERY good!) and a wonderful date-nut bread one that was my grandma's.

Sheila in MD

Sheila, you know I'm going to have to ask! I'm thinking along the same lines. Have some nut breads and then a chicken something for those that don't want a desserty type thing. I know I don't have to go to so much trouble but it's rare that I get to show off different things to our friends! And I would love to do the grilled ones but we something that's ready to go when we get to the house since we only have about 45 minutes at each house.

Okay-will post tomorrow-recipes are at home. I saw the same drawback to the grilled ones as you...good as they sound! Good thought to have a couple of different things..for different tastes. I kinda pity you having to follow the chili and cornbread...people might be pretty full by then!

Sheila in MD

Question Hmmm...

So just what goes into a Snickers martini?

(I know, I know, everybody else has been so kind and offered all sorts of recipes and help and here I come along all selfish. Me, me, me... what can I say? )
    I don't need time. What I need is a deadline.
    -Duke Ellington

LOL, that's ok, I do that all the time!
    Our friends are actually making the recipe and they told me how they make it but he!! if I remember. This is basically the recipe and they also add a drizzle of chocolate syrup before serving.

Snickers Martini
    Makes one cocktail

Ice
    1 1/2 ounces vodka
    1 1/2 ounces Frangelico liqueur (hazelnut-flavored liqueur)
    1 1/2 ounces chocolate liqueur (I like Godiva)
    Shaving of chocolate or Hershey’s Kiss (optional)

And Sheila, I look forward to seeing your recipes.

Thanks!

I may be selfish, but I can also be polite!
    I don't need time. What I need is a deadline.
    -Duke Ellington

Linsley, if you don't think it would be too much chocolate with the martinis (what - too much chocolate? no such thing! ) there's a recipe floating around the BB for Chocolate Wave Zucchini Bread posted by KimKelly that's excellent. If you're still thinking about nut breads, that is.

I'm having a hard time thinking of savory things that would be good with that delicious-sounding martini- I keep coming back to sweet stuff.

If you are still considering little sandwiches, maybe Nutella would be a good spread to use as a filling.

I clipped a magazine article a few months ago that suggested the following sweet sandwich fillings:

Nutella + mascarpone cheese
    Mascarpone + dash of rum extract + strawberry jam or orange marmalade
    Mascarpone + honey + pecans

Another thought- how about a somewhat sweet dip with fruit? And a few bowls of candied or spiced nuts?

Or one of those fabulous Kahlua or praline-topped baked brie recipes?

And two other offerings from my tried and true file. I have made the Peanut Noshes with cashew and almond butters too. I make the squares bigger than the 1/2" indicated in the recipe.

The strawberry bruschetta is also very good and pretty if you can get ripe berries.

Peanut Noshes
    from The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook

18 slices Pepperidge Farm sandwich bread
    1 1/2 cups chunky peanut butter
    1/3 cup vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 350.

Trim the crusts from 12 slices bread (reserve crusts). Cut the bread into 1/2" squares. Place the squares flat on a baking sheet and bake until just lightly browned.

Place trimmed crusts and remaining bread slices on another baking sheet and bake until golden. Process in a blender or food processor to make fine crumbs. Remove to a shallow bowl.

Heat the peanut butter and oil in a small saucepan until blended and warm. Dip the toasted bread squares completely in the peanut mixture and then coat with bread crumbs. Let dry flat on a baking sheet. Store airtight.

Strawberry Bruschetta
    from BH&G Holiday Appetizers 2001

8 ounce loaf baguette French bread
    8 ounces tub-style cream cheese
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 cups strawberries, sliced
    1/4 cup strawberry jelly

Heat oven to 375. Cut bread into 24 slices about 1/4" thick. Place in a single layer on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 10 minutes or until lightly brown, turning once.

Stir together the cream cheese and honey; spread on one side of each bread slice. Arrange strawberry slices on the cheese. Heat jelly in a custard cup in the microwave on high power for 30 seconds; stir. Brush jelly over strawberries. Makes 24.