Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite Starbucks, hot drink please?

Your favorite Starbucks, hot drink please?

I'm such a country bumpkin I actually order "black coffee" when I go to Starbucks. Please enlighten me so I don't sound like an idiot when I try to order something a little more exciting, preferably not real, real, sweet or loaded with tons of fat.
    Thanks,
    Nancy
    "When you are in love with someone you want to be near him all the time, except when you are out buying things and charging them to him." Miss Piggy

I don't go to Starbucks that often, but my favorite drink is a Chai Tea Latte with skim milk. Yum yum!

I'm one of those strange people who go from one extreme to another. For years it was a tall (their smallest size) coffee with room for cream. Now it's .......

a double tall 2% toffee nut mocha, one pump mocha, one pump syrup

(I find that if it's made normally, it is way too sweet.)
    The best sound is that of someone laughing in their sleep.

Recently, it's been their Caramel Apple Cider. Yum! I also love a Triple Soy Toffee Nut (or any other fru-fru one - I always order it made with soy and with extra espresso)
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Cafe Mocha - with skim milk and no whipped cream. Yum!!

HH

I rarely go....but anyplace I order coffee, it's usually an espresso...boring.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Originally posted by Kristine
    I don't go to Starbucks that often, but my favorite drink is a Chai Tea Latte with skim milk. Yum yum!
    I second this. Chai Lattes are my Sunday morning treats.

The Starbucks in my area have changed their signage recently to help people with this issue -- they have a big sign that walks you through "building" a drink. So, it really just depends on what you like. The basic choices are that you choose either coffee, espresso, or tea, then build on that.

I used to get just a nonfat latte, but I found it a little too strong for my tastes. So, I switched to a nonfat misto, which is the same thing, just made with coffee instead of espresso. When it's warm I'll get it iced. If I'm feeling really indulgent, I'll get a mocha, hot or iced, depending on the weather.

You can also see a list of all the drink variations on their website -- I recommend checking it out!

Originally posted by funniegrrl

You can also see a list of all the drink variations on their website -- I recommend checking it out!
    The scary part is that you can also see the nutrition facts for each variation - it's very scary to realize how much sugar goes into most of their "fru fru" drinks. I about keeled over when I saw what my nonfat no-whip mocha had in it!
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

Originally posted by cangoss

it's very scary to realize how much sugar goes into most of their "fru fru" drinks. I about keeled over when I saw what my nonfat no-whip mocha had in it!
    Yup ... which is why I generally stick to the misto ... LOL

And the nutrition info on some of their snacks is rather ... enlightening ... as well ...

Hey,

Black Coffee IS my favorite drink from Starbucks!

Don't got messing with my coffee by adding anything to it. ICK!

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I don't know where you are, so maybe Starbucks is your only choice. If not, I'd recommend a coffee drink from someplace else. I'm not qualified to judge the coffee itself since I don't drink plain coffee, but every coffee drink I've had there suffers from one, or both, of two problems. If it's a flavored drink, it's disgustingly sweet. (And this is from Ms. Sweettooth.) The lattes are okay in this regard since they're not sweetened. But none of the drinks are ever really hot. Kind of medium warm. It's not just one outlet. I've been to a number of them, and they're all like that. Oh, and the service is slow, too. So I recommend--first go someplace else, and then have a nice hot latte or a mocha. If you have a latte you can add various spices or sweeteners if you want to; they usually offer cinnamon, nutmeg, cocoa, vanilla powder, brown sugar, white sugar, honey. Or have it plain.

Originally posted by funniegrrl

Boy, am I losing my marbles or what? I've combed that website and can't find anything like that
    "When you are in love with someone you want to be near him all the time, except when you are out buying things and charging them to him." Miss Piggy

I get the same thing every time: Tall Skim Latte. It's boring, but it works for me.

I'm not sure they have it on the menu anymore, but my fav used to be Mocha Valencia Latte, but with half a shot of espresso and a double shot of Valencia.
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

Red face

I am ashamed to say that I go so often, when i walk in the door the barista asks if I want the usually before i can even get to the counter to order. They have even started to call it the Maura.

It is a Venti non-fat vanilla latte with the extra shot.

(Basically it is 4 shots of expresso with steamed skim milk with a couple of shots of vanilla syrup.)

Maura

Originally posted by NancyR

Boy, am I losing my marbles or what? I've combed that website and can't find anything like that
    Yup. They're gone. Your marbles, that is. If you go to http://www.starbucks.com/retail/nutr...beverages.asp? you should be on the right page.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Originally posted by MKSquared

Yup. They're gone. Your marbles, that is.
    I was afraid of that....maybe I should avoid all that caffeine. I SWEAR I THOUGHT I LOOKED THERE!

Hey thanks for the website. With a starbucks on every corner it seems, I go there quite a lot. As a matter of fact I was there today for lunch.

My favorite drink is a tall nonfat latte (only 120 calories). My second favorite in the summer time is a tall coffee frappuccino.

On the website they didn't list my favorite goodie, an eight grain roll. Oh well, it is probably better not to know the cal/fat count.

Any Starbucks you go into should be able to help you find the perfect drink for you.

Starbucks is not my first choice, but a friend wanted to meet me there. I generally have black coffee but this time ordered a cappucino. It was quite good, but now I will go to the site posted and see what the damage is on that.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Originally posted by kristalsnow7
    I get the same thing every time: Tall Skim Latte. It's boring, but it works for me.
    Does the trick for me too
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

Off topic comletely:

I just wanted to say NancyR, I think your signature is hilarious! Never noticed it before now...
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

78704 - more than a zipcode, it's a lifestyle.
    I am a fan of the :
    Tall Nonfat Sugar Free Vanilla Latte - Extra hot (that takes care of any lukewarm issues if I'm travelling with it). Yum. sometimes I switch to hazelnut for kicks. There's other sugar free flavors out there too.

I like that it counts as a milk serving for the day, and the foam is my favorite part.

My brother's girlfriend is a barista so when I go she'll make me some special stuff, but she knows I don't want a 400 calorie drink!

--Kristin
    Your actions speak so loudly I can hardly hear you - Henry David Thoreau

Originally posted by Clover
    I don't know where you are, so maybe Starbucks is your only choice. If not, I'd recommend a coffee drink from someplace else. I'm not qualified to judge the coffee itself since I don't drink plain coffee, but every coffee drink I've had there suffers from one, or both, of two problems. If it's a flavored drink, it's disgustingly sweet. (And this is from Ms. Sweettooth.) The lattes are okay in this regard since they're not sweetened. But none of the drinks are ever really hot. Kind of medium warm. It's not just one outlet. I've been to a number of them, and they're all like that. Oh, and the service is slow, too. So I recommend--first go someplace else, and then have a nice hot latte or a mocha. If you have a latte you can add various spices or sweeteners if you want to; they usually offer cinnamon, nutmeg, cocoa, vanilla powder, brown sugar, white sugar, honey. Or have it plain.
    Seeing where you live, I have one word for you: Peet's. (Sitting at my computer dejectedly because there isn't one here - yet. But I can get the beans. )
    The best sound is that of someone laughing in their sleep.

ohhh! i don't go there often anymore but my favorite is....
    Nonfat Sugar Free Caramel Macchiato sooo very yummy and if they use sugarfree syrup in it it's not so bad on the hips! they still put a little whipped cream and some caramel sauce on top but that's worth it!

I don't go to Starbucks often, but when I do I order a tall nonfat caramel macchiato.

Back when I used to drink coffee, my drink of choice was a Chocolate-Mint Latte

Now, I no longer like the taste of coffee, but I sure do love the smell!

In the fall, I'll order the Hot Caramel Apple Cider, which for me, has always been HOT. I also like Chai Lattes, but I'd get them with soy milk.

Other than that, my drink of choice, and let me just say right now I will be VERY disappointed if I don't find it this summer, is the Tazoberry which is nothing more than raspberry fruit juice/tazo tea and ice blended together. I could drink that all year round even in Wisconsin in January. I was so disappointed when I couldn't get it and was told it was a "summer" drink...
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Same here. It's the only coffee I can drink at Starbuck's. Their regular coffee is just too strong (even the light roast).

I love the Mocha Valencia, but its not on the menu anymore, but they do have the valencia syrup. I usually get a tall decaf skim latte and I put splenda in it. When I went in today, they actually had splenda at the bar...I didn't have to use the packets in my purse! Our Starbucks around here only have Sugar-Free Vanilla syrup and the brand has aspartame in it, which I'm allergic to. Starbucks used to use DaVinci syrup, which uses Splenda, which I can eat. I was so shocked when I saw how much sugar and calories were in these drinks, so I'm cutting back.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Me too... I used to do a tall skim no-whip mocha on occasion, but I've been watching my added sugar lately and usually don't want to add on 9 grams of the stuff and the 50 extra calories. Also, the caffeine and sugar in a mocha can give me those slightly shaky hands -- which is just not pleasant! So, if I *have* to have a mocha, I make it a decaf.

Also, I would note that -- much as I like the idea of giving my business to smaller coffee operations -- I've tried many and I just like the taste of Starbucks coffee beverages better, especially the decaf versions.

One thing I've noticed about my Starbucks lately, which I find a bit annoying. They *always* ask if I want a food item when I order a coffee drink. I guess they're trained to do so, but I always feel like saying "If I wanted a food item, I would have ordered one!"

Beth
    "If I had a minute for every hour that I've wasted I'd be rich in time." Jack Johnson, "Broken"