Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: Your favorite Salmon recipe

Smile ISO: Your favorite Salmon recipe

I would like to give salmon a try and am looking for your CL suggestions. Something pretty easy to start out with would be great.

I have all the issues back to 1996 so you only need to reference the month/year.

TIA

Mustard-maple glazed salmon from July 99 was my favorite UNTIL Joyce (I believe) raved about Maple glazed salmon from 3/00 which has a few more ingredients(hoisin, ginger etc), but has soooo much flavor. We have broiled both and done the mustard maple one on the grill too with much success.

Enjoy
    Chris

My favorite quick and easy way to make salmon is to marinate it in some bottled teriyaki sauce that I add some chili-garlic paste to. Then just grill or broil it. The sweet teriyaki and spicy chili paste are a great combo.

This is my favorite recipe for salmon:

This is simple, but elegant and delicious...
    Marinated Salmon Seared in Pepper Crust

2tb soy sauce
    1 garlic clove, minced and mashed
    2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp. sugar
    3/4 lb. salmon filet, skinned and halved
    4tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
    2tb. olive oil

In sealable plastic bag, combine soy garlic lemon juice, and sugar. Add salmon, coating it well, and let it marinate, sealed and chilled, for 30 minutes.

Remove salmon from bag, discarding marinade, pat it dry, and press 2tsp. of pepper onto each piece of salmon, coating it thoroughly.

In a heavy skillet heat the oil over moderately high heat until it's hot but not smoking and saute the salmon for 2 minutes on each side or until it just flakes.

I've also tried the Maple Glazed Salmon but I like perfer this recipe. If you're short of time skip the Cinnamon step and boil the sauce so that it cooks down faster (sometimes I add a sprinkle of ground cinnamon at the end).

Fish And Shellfish, June '98, Main Dish
    Cinnamon-Apricot Glazed Salmon
    Cooking Light, June 1998, p.76
    Servings: 4

2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
    1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
    2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
    1 (12-ounce) can apricot nectar
    4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick)

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer mixture until reduced to 3/4 cup (about 30 minutes). Strain the apricot mixture through a sieve over a bowl, and discard solids.

Preheat broiler. Place salmon fillets on a broiler pan lined with foil; broil 5 minutes. Brush fish with 1/4 cup apricot mixture. Broil for 3 minutes or until lightly browned and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve the fish with the remaining apricot mixture.

Serving Size: 5 ounces fish and about 2 tablespoons sauce
    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 357 Calories; 15g Fat (37.4% calories from fat); 37g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 105mg Cholesterol;
    384mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fruit; 0 Fat.

[This message has been edited by DanaSD (edited 01-31-2001).]

[This message has been edited by DanaSD (edited 01-31-2001).]

This is one of my favorite salmon recipes.
    It's from a cookbook called, "Good Flavors
    of the Hot Sun". Zinnia

*Salmon w/ Chili-Honey Glaze

1 & 1/2 lbs. salmon fillet
    2 T. orange juice
    2 T. lime juice
    3 T. honey
    1 t. ground cumin
    1 t. chili powder
    1 small minced green chile
    1/4 t. salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Place the salmon in a foil-lined & sprayed baking pan. Combine the orange & lime juices, honey, cumin, chili powder & minced green chile in a small bowl; stir well to dissolve the honey.
    Pour about 1/2 of the glaze over the salmon, sprinkle w/ salt & pepper & bake 12 min. per inch of thickness. Halfway through the cooking time pour the remaining glaze on top of the salmon.
    When the salmon is cooked through, remove from the oven. Spoon the thickened glaze in the bottom of the pan over the salmon & serve. Makes 4 servings.

Aw Shucks! ChefChris beat me to the punch. We are having the Maple glazed salmon (3/00) again tonight. However I did see an interesting recipe in an old annual for salmon glazed with apricot nectar that I would like to try if I could stay away from our fave recipe for a while.

Oh, must it be CL? I have one for Bourbon-Basted Salmon that is melt-in-your-mouth delicious. It's always turned out wonderfully, and it's so easy. And if you cut the oil down significantly (which I always do) it's a light recipe.

I usually cut the recipe in half and still have some left over. It's delicious cold, too!

1 1/2 lbs. salmon fillet

1/4 c. brown sugar
    3 T. bourbon
    3 T. green onion, chopped
    2 T. soy sauce
    2 T. vegetable oil (I always use olive oil)

1.Place the salmon, skin side down, in a shallow baking dish. In a small bowl, combine all marinade ingredients. Pour over the salmon and marinate in the refridgerator for an hour. Cook on a grill, turning once, about 7 minutes per side.

2.Brush the insides of a grilling basket with vegetable oil. Remove salmon from marinade; reserve marinade. Place salmon in basket and close securely. Grill salmon in basket over hot coals, turning once, until opaque throughout, about 7 minutes per side. Baste with reserved marinade during cooking. Serve hot or cold.

* Alternately, cook salmon directly on oiled grill, turning once, about 7 minutes per side.

My note: Since firing up the grill in an apartment complex is a pain, I have sometimes baked mine, for about 20 minutes, checking occasionally for when the fish has just turned opaque. I haven't noticed much of a difference at all.

DH and I just love salmon and have tried a few of your posted recipes. Since we don't like to fire up the grill for the 2 of us - we have found our "George Foreman" does an absolutely fabulous job grilling salmon - in fact it's our favorite way to cook salmon. After we marinated it some of the various ways, of course.

Our favorite recipe for salmon is Cooking Light, Jan-Feb., '99, p.149. My husband has quit ordering salmon in the restaurant because he always thinks this is better (much cheaper than in restaurants in our area also).

The first time I prepared any salmon was a CL recipe "Salmon Bisque" I have made it only once-but I remember that it is a keeper. It is very rich and (alittle Martha Stewart here) use only the very best, FRESHEST salmon available.
    Carolyn--

Another vote for Maple Glazed Salmon! I keep collecting salmon recipes, but I always seem to come back to this old faithful.

These all look really good. And Emilycat, I'm glad you didn't take my CL only request to heart and went ahead and posted your non-CL recipe...it looks delicious. I was just trying to keep people from having to do alot of typing.

My husband goes to day shift next week so I will definately be trying one of these soon. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again!

Hi CeeCee,
    I just got a George Foreman grill too, and I have two great, salmon fillets screaming for attention. I do have a few marinade recipes to choose from, but could you tell me how long it takes to grill them? They're about an inch thick. And have you ever tried using the grill for whole trout?
    Thanks,
    Melina

Our absolute favorite is the Barbecue Roasted Salmon from September 99. I just leave off the spices for the kids' part of the fish. The leftovers (if any!) are so good in a salad!

My new favorite marinade is Dale's. I found Dale's in my favorite grocery store after seeing it discussed in in here. By the way, after marinating it (probably less than 30 minutes in that sauce), I cook it on my George Foreman grill!!! Terrific combination: salmon, Dale's, and GF. :-)

Salmon on the George doesn't take long at all because as you know it's cooking on both sides! We liked the Bourbon one, and also a citrus flavoured glaze. We really like "Dale's" on beef steaks, but haven't tried it on Salmon. I'm afraid Dales may be just a bit too salty for me, but I love it. I'm on high blood pressure medication so most times I try to stay away from prepared marianades.
    Did anyone do trout on the GF grill?

Originally posted by CHRIST1NE:
    I have all the issues back to 1996 so you only need to reference the month/year.

TIA
    September/October 1996 has a recipe that has ginger, OJ, mustard, honey and sherry. Very easy and very yummy. My friend loved the salmon in the same issue with the homemade salsa.

[This message has been edited by Laura (edited 02-04-2001).]