Community Message Boards

Thread: Burpless cucumbers?

Question Burpless cucumbers?

My future BIL says that cucumbers make you burp and that there are actually burpless cucumbers. My sister was debating this and called me thinking that I know everything about food.
    I never heard of such a thing. But I told her I know a place I could find out. So guys anyone ever heard this before?
    Patty

Cool

...and I thought you were kidding...

From Cooks Thesaurus:

burpless cucumber = English cucumber = hothouse cucumber = seedless cucumber Substitutes: Japanese cucumber OR regular cucumber, halved lengthwise and seeded OR Kirby cucumber (smaller)

From www.veseys.com:

Burpless Cucumbers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Burpless cucumbers have become very popular because they tend not to cause indigestion, stomach pains or heartburn. Picked and eaten young, they are tender, tasty and full of minerals and vitamins.

Yeap! I buy nothing but the english cuke and its true....no burps!

I've heard of these in seed catalogues but I don't know anyone who has a cucumber burping problem so it always confused me. Anyway, burpless cucumbers are the ones without seeds.

Cukes don't make me burp, but I prefer the texture of the English. Otherwise, I'll use pickling cukes for the same reason. I find the regular waxed variety too wet and seedy. When I use them I always seed.
    I know this isn't what you were asking, but thought I'd share anyway

Ellyn

Thanks guys! My BIL was very pleased when I told him that he was right. I'll have to take notice next time I'm eating cucumbers if they make me burp. He swears they make my sister burp!
    Patty