Community Message Boards

Thread: Where do you buy andouille sausage?

Where do you buy andouille sausage?

I've been looking for andouille sausage everywhere, but can't find it. Does anyone (especially from the Chicago area) have any ideas where I might be able to buy it? I've tried Jewel, Dominick's, Meijer and a place called Michael's so far, but none of them had it.

Found this site: Ask the Chef
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Do you have a Whole Foods in your area? We found the most delicious chicken andouille sausage, I think is was Hans' All Natural.

yep it was Hans' Here's a listing of where your can find their Products

I forgot to mention that I did look at Whole Foods yesterday too. I did see some of the different variations, but I wasn't sure how they compared to the original. (I'm not even really sure what andouille sausage is ). Maybe I'll try that chicken one that you liked Anne. Also, thanks for that link Sneezles. Interesting that it said how Dominick's carries it. I'll look at a different store when I have a chance since the one by me didn't have it. I just assumed I'd be able to find this stuff anywhere!

I think DW has found it at Dominick's. I've always found it at Casey's Foods in Naperville.

According to Epicurious:

Andouille sausage is "A spicy, heavily smoked sausage made from pork CHITTERLINGS and TRIPE. French in origin, andouille is a specialty of CAJUN COOKING. It's the traditional sausage used in specialties like JAMBALAYA and GUMBO, and makes a spicy addition to any dish that would use smoked sausage. Andouille is also especially good served cold as an HORS D'OEUVRE."

Originally posted by Ralph

Andouille sausage is "A spicy, heavily smoked sausage made from pork CHITTERLINGS and TRIPE.

Hmm... Not so sure that sounds too appetizing, but I'll probably try it anyway. I hadn't thought of Casey's. Maybe I'll make a trip over there tomorrow.

Kwormann had some Cajun sausage last night that she said she got at Super Target. It was very good and worth checking to see if they carry it up there -- it you have a Super Target.

If you can't find andouille, any "hot" or cajun smoked sausage will do. The only thing about the andouille I've noticed is that it's much larger in diameter than other sausages. I live in Louisiana and almost never use actual andouille, just hot sausage.
    Margaret

Do you have Costco in your area? Mine usually has at least one variety of andouilli sausage available. Good luck! No matter how good your grocery store is, there's always that one thing you can never find!

I found it at Von's in Las Vegas.

Hi Andrea -

I've occasionally found it at Dominick's, but not always. You can always get it at Cafe Iberico downtown on LaSalle - that's the Spanish restaurant that has a Spanish deli in the back - they have the best quality stuff. I do realize though that it isn't the most convenient place in the world.....

Where are you in the Chicago area?

I know in the burbs, a lot of the produce markets carry it at deli counters or by their meat. I wouldn't be surprised if some polish delis even carried a pretty fair version of it.

Originally posted by AnnaSue

Hmm... Not so sure that sounds too appetizing, but I'll probably try it anyway. I hadn't thought of Casey's. Maybe I'll make a trip over there tomorrow.
    Well, actually, that doesn't sound too appetizing. I've had MAJOR computer problems the last few days, so I really didn't read the entire description!

Really, though, andouille is just a type of sausage; the only difference being the spices. It also tends to be quite spicy. It's one of my favorites.

another vote for the chicken andouille sausage from Whole Foods. I used it this weekend to make jambalaya for our Mardi Gras party and it was awesome!

it has been awhile, but i have always used chicken andouille sausage whenever a recipe calls for it. the pork chitterlings & tripe version does not sound as appealing!

are you making a mardi gras menu? andouille is cajun!

at whole foods or trader joes, you can find the "han's all natural" brand.

or at jewel or dominicks you can usually find the "aidell's" brand.

please keep in mind while the above stores sell the brands mentioned, they do not always carry every variety. it is a hit or miss. sometimes i see the andouille kind at jewel, other times they carry other flavors instead.

i got the following from the company's websites. this may help determine what kind you get.

AIDELL'S CAJUN STYLE ANDOUILLE (Pork)
    One of our originals, this double-smoked, richly flavored pork sausage with a serious bite of pepper is a must for Cajun cooking. Use it in traditional dishes like jambalaya, etouffée and gumbo. Try it in a po' boy sandwich or just toss it on the grill with shrimp or chicken.

Ingredients:
    Smoked Product: Pork, Water, Salt, Spices, Sugar, Paprika, Garlic and Sodium Nitrite, in a Pork Casing.

HAN'S ANDOUILLE - BATON ROGUE BRAND (Chicken)

Ingredients:
    Skinless Chicken, Contains less than 2% of the following: Dehydrated Garlic, Red Pepper, Black Pepper, Basil, Thyme, Oregano, Rosemary, Mustard, Bay, Salt, Beet Powder, In A Natural Pork Casing.

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! I ended up having a crazy day today and didn't get a chance to go look for it, but I'll probably try again tomorrow. This whole thing started when I wanted to make one of the recipes from the March issue. (I didn't even realize it was Mardi Gras time ). I've had problems finding it before though too, so thought I'd get some ideas now and for future reference. I'm thinking I'll try to track down the Han's or Aidell brand. Their ingredients look pretty good. I'm surprised people seem to find it at Jewel and Dominick's. I know I've looked there before too and never found it. Maybe they don't carry it consistently or something? I'll just have to keep looking!