Community Message Boards

Thread: Can't Find Frozen Unsweetened Coconut???

Question Can't Find Frozen Unsweetened Coconut???

I just purchased a dessert cookbook. Many of the recipes call for "Frozen Unsweetened Coconut". I live in Phila and can't seem to find this anywhere. Is this available in other areas? Does anyone know what I could substitute? I don't know what difference it would make to use the "bagged" coconut???? Can anyone help??

I imagine the frozen is considered fresher. If you have a store that carries Woodstock bagged nuts & fruits try looking there, theirs is fantastic. Health food stores usually carry unsweetened if all else fails. And then there is always fresh

I know that the bagged coconut in the baking aisle is definitely sweetened... so it probably wouldn't be an acceptable substitute for "unsweetened". Hope you find what you're looking for!

I was looking for unsweetened coconut about a week ago and was surprised to see that they no longer carry it at the chain super market where I shop. I needed it for a dessert so I cut the sugar a bit. Depending on what you are making this might work for you.

Wink

Leonard, I am out on a limb here, but I thought I read or heard that if you soak the coconut in milk, it releases the sweetener. Then rinse and dry. Perhaps you could try it on a small portion of coconut.

Health food stores are the best bet. If you are near Philly, how about an Asian store? Trader Joe's just opened in Devon, what a wonderful store, you might want to call them. We drove 40 minutes just to go to TJ's yesterday and it was worth it!

King Arthur Flour probably has it too...

www.kingarthurflour.com