Community Message Boards

Thread: Barefoot Contessa recipe for onion dip -- wow!

Hybrid View

Barefoot Contessa recipe for onion dip -- wow!

I made this last night to eat during the Oscars and it was absolutely delicious. Not low-fat in the slightest but sometimes you gotta splurge! I do think the fat could be reduced though. The recipe calls for caramelized onions to be sauteed in 4 T. butter plus 1/4 cup oil. After 35 minutes of caramelizing, the onions were swimming in butter/oil so I strained them and the dip was still fantastic. Next time I will cut the amount of oil down to a tablespoon or so and add a bit more if the pan looks on the dry side.

Pan Fried Onion Dip

2 large yellow onions
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup good mayonnaise

Cut the onions in half, and then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds. (You will have about 3 cups of onions) Heat the butter and oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt and pepper and sauté for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes, until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool.
    Place the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix well.
    Taste for seasonings.
    Serve at room temperature.
    Michelle

I checked her book out from the library and renewed it twice before it had to be returned. Everything in that book looks wonderful and this is one of the things I had marked to try. I made the sun-dried tomato dip (which I love) and I have heard so many wonderful things about this recipe that I have to try it.

What did you serve with this? Did you make those homemade potato crisps that she shows with them?
    Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

--Helen Keller

I also like her recipe for Sun-Dried Tomato Dip. It's a little too salty for me, so I usually cut down on the amount of salt called for in the recipe (I think by half), but I've made it several times and really like it. The recipe is in the same cookbook as the Onion Dip.

Hi Shirley,

This recipe is actually even better (IMHO!) than the sun-dried tomato dip, even though I love that one and have made it many times. Her other two cookbooks are wonderful as well, and they are often for sale at Costco, if you have that in your area.

To answer your question, I served the dip with flatbread crackers that I bought at (where else?) Costco and they were perfect with it b/c this is a heavy dip and you really need a sturdy dipper. The homemade chips in the book look fantastic but I think they would be almost too rich for this dip. Let me know if you make it!
    Michelle

I tried to make the homemade chips from her book, and had a lot of trouble getting them to brown evenly. By the time some parts of each chips were cooked through, other parts had begun to taste burnt. I have a gas oven...you might have more luck with an electric (non-cycling) oven.

I have been dying to try this dip; I though it would be fun to serve it with sweet potato chips or Terra chips. Yum!

would one of you mind posting the sun-dried tomato dip? sounds right up my alley!

TIA!

Enjoy!

Sun-Dried Tomato Dip

1/4 c. (8) sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
    8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
    1/2 c. sour cream
    1/2 c. good mayonnaise
    10 dashes Tabasco sauce
    1 t. kosher salt
    3/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
    2 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)

Puree tomatoes, cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, Tobasco, salt and pepper in food processor fitted with metal blade. Add the scallions and pulse twice. Serve at room temperature.

Makes 2 cups
    Michelle

Originally posted by kcmo727
    Enjoy!

Sun-Dried Tomato Dip

1/4 c. (8) sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
    8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
    1/2 c. sour cream
    1/2 c. good mayonnaise
    10 dashes Tabasco sauce
    1 t. kosher salt
    3/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
    2 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)

Puree tomatoes, cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, Tobasco, salt and pepper in food processor fitted with metal blade. Add the scallions and pulse twice. Serve at room temperature.

Makes 2 cups
    Thanks, Michelle. I wanted this one.

Michelle, first of all, you should be ashamed for posting such a freakishly fattening recipe!! And second, my God this was gooooood! I made it for a party on Saturday. It is very heavy and a little goes a long way, but I have been enjoying the leftovers emensely!

Thanks for posting!
    Karen