Community Message Boards

Thread: london broil in a crockpot?

london broil in a crockpot?

I have had a london broil sitting in my freezer for a few weeks and I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has made one of these in the crockpot. Is this type of meat good in a crockpot? If so, how do you prepare it? Thanks!

Gee, I can't think of any other way to make a London broil other than rubbing it with cracked peppercorns and broiling it! I suppose you could make a sort of Swiss steak out of it, or cut it into cubes and make a beef stew. But my preference would be to broil it and slice it thinly, and serve wrapped in lettuce leaves and low fat soft tortillas.

You can definitely do it, but the texture changes. Your meat will have the texture of a roast rather than a steak. Personally, I like broiled flank steak, but there are a lot of threads where people have said they had success with the crockpot. Just do a search using the keywords "flank steak crockpot" and you'll come up with a bunch .

Cooking Light had a recipe for Beef and Bean Burritos in the crockpot using London Broil. I dont have the recipe for this in Mastercook but maybe you can find it on the the recipe search or someone may have it in Mastercook. If this is not the case and you want the recipe I may be able to type this in for you later this week. Let me know Liz

I buy London Broil on sale just for the crockpot. When I have a really rushed day I just throw one in the CP with some mexican tomatoes or a can of Rotel (diced tomatoes and jalapenos) and cook all day. Then I shred it for burritos or tacos or even enchiladas. If I don't have tomatoes I just use some fresh onions/garlic and season with chili powder and cumin. It is very good but I agree that the texture is more roast like.

ok, so i took a chance and put a london broil in the crockpot this morning. this is what i did:

seasoned it with salt, pepper, garlic salt.
    put carrots on the bottom and the roast on top.
    put onions on top of the roast
    poured some beef broth over the whole thing.

it's been cooking on low all day. what do you think of this? i'm hoping it will come out yummy. do you think there's anything else i should do to spruce it up or will it be fine? suggestions on how to serve this?

I can't remember who posted this, but here it is. I just copied it this weekend, so I haven't made it yet.

Slow-Cooker Beef-and-Bean Burritos
    From Cooking Light

View Cooking Light Menu

1 (2-pound) London broil
    1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning mix
    Cooking spray
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
    1 (16-ounce) can fat-free refried beans
    12 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
    1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    1 1/2 cups chopped plum tomato
    3/4 cup fat-free sour cream

Trim fat from meat; rub seasoning mix over both sides of meat. Place meat in an electric slow cooker coated with cooking spray; add onion, vinegar, and green chiles. Cover with lid; cook on low-heat setting for 9 hours. Remove meat from slow cooker, reserving cooking liquid; shred meat with two forks. Combine meat and reserved cooking liquid; stir well.
    Warm beans and tortillas according to package directions. Spread 2 tablespoons beans down the center of each tortilla. Spoon a heaping 1/3 cup meat mixture on top of beans. Top each with 2 tablespoons cheese, 2 tablespoons tomato, and 1 tablespoon sour cream; roll up.

Yield: 12 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 350 (30% from fat); FAT 11.8g (sat 6.1g, mono 4.1g, poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 24g; CARB 31.3g; FIBER 3.3g; CHOL 49mg; IRON 4mg; SODIUM 839mg; CALC 175mg;