Community Message Boards

Thread: quesadillas on the george foreman?

quesadillas on the george foreman?

if you make quesadillas on the george, how do you do it? what do you put inside and do you think it comes out better on the george or another way?

We almost always make ours in the GF grill - we have a small one, so we put the fillings on one half of a tortilla, fold it over and close the grill - takes just about 2 mins. I also spray both sides of the grill, which makes them really nice and crispy.

We do all kinds of things on the insides - trying to use up whatever's in the fridge. Most often it's some combination of black beans, cheese, minced veggies, scallions, and salsa.

We're trying a spinach and cheese one from MSEF later this week -

Talking

Yes! I second what NewMrsG. said. I think the GF grill is a great way to make quesadillas the light way. I use 50% reduced fat cheese, and usually some combination of black beans, peppers, onions, and tomatoes, throw them on there, and you have just made dinner in 15 min. Sometimes I have lightly brushed both sides of the tortilla with olive oil, and sometimes I spray both sides of the grill with Pam. Either way works.

I especially like the grill marks on the quesadilla...makes me feel like I was outside grilling...(*sigh*)

It never occurred me to make these in the George! What a great idea. Do you have problems with the fillings oozing out?? I usually make them in the broiler, so I thought the fat content's the same either way. How does the George save on fat?

Originally posted by SusanMac
    It never occurred me to make these in the George! What a great idea. Do you have problems with the fillings oozing out?? I usually make them in the broiler, so I thought the fat content's the same either way. How does the George save on fat?
    In your case, I think the fat content would be about the same. I usually panfry mine in a bit of oil, so the George Foreman would be a healthier alternative in my case.

I've actually had bad luck broiling quesadillas---they've caught on fire before! So I think I might give the GF a try. Great idea!

i make tons of stuff on my george.

quesadillas come out great! i do it the same way as i would pan-frying. i never used oil in either method, so i am sure they come out the same. sometimes i will use a light mist of cooking spray.

i usually do beans & cheese OR bell peppers, onions & cheese... usually grilling the peppers & onions together on the grill first, then nestling them on top of a cheese covered quesadilla & folding over.

Quesadillas are actually the ONLY thing we make in the GF! We have the smallest one - only fits one chicken breast at a time, so it isn't very useful - but I really like quesadillas in them - the tortillas get perfectly crisped up and I don't have to use oil - so we suffer. I've never really had a problem with filling oozing out, but the thing is so easy to clean that it's not a problem if it goops out a little bit. You just have to be careful about not stuffing them too much I guess!

And rljohnsufl is right - the grill marks are great!

Here's the recipe we're trying this week - it's from MSEF

Spinach and Mushroom Quesadillas
    Serves 4; Prep time: 25 minutes; Total time: 35 minutes

2 tablespoons canola oil
    2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
    8 ounces (2 1/4 cups) button or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
    6 ounces (about 8 cups) prewashed spinach, shredded
    Coarse salt and ground pepper
    8 flour tortillas (8-inch)
    8 ounces (2 cups) pepper Jack cheese, shredded

1. Preheat oven to 400. In a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.

2. Add spinach in two batches, letting the first batch wilt slightly before adding the next; cook until spinach is completely wilted and mixture is dry, 2 to 3 minutes total. Season with salt and pepper.

3. Brush one side of tortillas with remaining tablespoon oil. Place 4 tortillas, oiled sides down, on two baking sheets. Layer each tortilla with cheese, spinach mixture, and more cheese, dividing evenly. Top with remaining 4 tortillas, oiled sides up, and lightly press to seal.

4. Bake until cheese has melted and tortillas are golden brown, turning them once, about 10 minutes. To serve, cut into quarters.

Note: The quesadillas can be assembled through step three several hours ahead of time; refrigerate until ready to bake. Serve them with your favorite salsa.