Community Message Boards

Thread: sides for oven fried chicken tenders

Arrow sides for oven fried chicken tenders

I am making oven fried chicken tenders tonight for dinner. I do not know what would be good to serve with them. Please offer suggestions! Thanks in advance!

My kids would request mac and cheese as a side.

If you want to make it a finger food night, how about steak fries (potatoes cut into wedges, tossed with olive oil, rosemary, sea salt, pepper, a little worcester sauce, and some thyme or sage) or the oven onion rings posted by ???? (sorry, I don't have the recipe handy so I don't know who posted it, but they were good!) recently.

Try fun dipping sauces for the chicken fingers. I usually make a honey mustard sauce (equal parts mayo, which you could omit but I like the creaminess, good dijon mustard, and honey).

I agree with purplefishy -- some kind of oven fries would be good. I don't think you can go wrong with side dishes when you're having something like chicken tenders, though -- salad, mac and cheese, green beans or broccoli, rice, butter and herb noodles, etc. Anything goes (well, depending on what your family will eat )!
    Jodi
    "Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect."

You know I wanted to make something like baked chicken fingers for dinner tonight but wasn't sure how to go about it. How are you going to do it, if you don't mind me asking?
    Thanks
    Theresa

Fudi2000, this is the recipe that I use. Its really simple and the spices can definitely be adjusted to your taste. I like to add some hot sauce to the buttermilk. Also, I usually don't have chicken tenders on hand and this is usually an I-don't-know-what-to-make-for-dinner-at-the-last-minute dinner so I end up using chicken breasts cut in strips. I bake them on my pizza stone and they come out great, though you may have to adjust the cooking time. And again, I like some mayo in my dipping sauce -- hey, you are already cutting down on the oil by not frying them, right?

Oven Fried Chicken Fingers with Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce
    Recipe By :The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook, pg. 347
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Chicken , Low-Fat

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Sauce:
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup spicy brown mustard

Chicken:
    1 1/2 lb. chicken breast tenders (about 16 pieces)
    1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
    1/2 cup coarsely crushed cornflakes
    1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
    1 Tbls. instant minced onion
    1 tsp. paprika
    1/4 tsp. dried thyme
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    1 Tbls. olive oil

To prepare sauce, combine honey and mustard in a small bowl; cover and chill.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

To prepare chicken, combine chicken and buttermilk in a shallow dish; cover and chill 15 minutes. Drain chicken, discarding liquid.

Spread oil evenly in a jelly-roll pan.

Combine cornflakes and next 5 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; add 4 chicken pieces to bag. Seal and shake to coat. Arrange chicken in a single layer in pan. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken.
    Bake for 4 minutes on each side or until done. Serve with sauce.

Serves 8 -- servings size is two chicken tenders each and 1 tablespoon sauce

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION: CALORIES 185 (18% from fat); FAT 3.7g (sat 0.8g, mono 1.2g, poly 1.2g); PROTEIN 21.6g; CARB 16g; FIBER 0.3g; CHOL 49mg; IRON 1.3mg; SODIUM 306mg; CALC 46mg

These would be great and they both cook at the same temp!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Garlic Roasted Potatoes {**tried Excellent}

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 pounds small red or white potatoes
    1/4 cup good olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons minced garlic (6 cloves)
    2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut the potatoes in half or quarters and place in a bowl with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic; toss until the potatoes are well coated. Transfer the potatoes to a sheet pan and spread out into 1 layer. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until browned and crisp. Flip twice with a spatula during cooking in order to ensure even browning.

Remove the potatoes from the oven, toss with parsley, season to taste, and serve hot.
    Copyright, 2001, Barefoot Contessa Parties!, All rights reserved

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I say go with the oven roasted potatoes, and how about grilled fresh corn on the cob? I was also about to suggest a hash brown casserole, its not your mac-n-cheese but its got the potatoes and cheese which makes both sides happy.

here's that hash brown casserole recipe I was telling you about earlier, I've made it for brunch and its sooooooooo good! I used creamed mushroom instead of the cream of chicken.

Cracker Barrel Store Hash Brown Casserole II

Notes:
    Vania submitted this recipe. The recipe suggests you use Crazy-Janes Mixed Up Salt, is this not available in all areas.

Ingredients:
    1 bag frozen country style hash browns
    1/2 C. (or so) onion, chopped fine
    Jane's crazy mixed-up salt, to taste
    1 1/2 - 2 C. Colby cheese, shredded (I love cheese-- but in this case, more is not necessarily better)
    1 can cream of chicken soup

Preparation:
    Cook hash browns, onions, and season to taste in a skillet. You will need to add a little butter or oil, cook until the hash browns are tender, and brown. Drain the hash browns and set aside. Then mix together cheese and cream of chicken soup in a separate bowl Add hash browns to mixture, then transfer into a buttered 2 qt. casserole dish and cook at 350 for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Oven roasted or grilled sweet potatoes would be yummy! YP posted a great recipe for one a while back, here it is...

Spicy Grilled Sweet Potatoes

Grill these sweet potatoes in a grillpan on your stovetop. Ground cumin and ground red pepper provide the "spicy."

This recipe can be found on page 78 of Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2002.

Ingredients
    3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 pound peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
    Cooking spray
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
    Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl.
    Combine oil and sweet potato in a medium bowl; toss to coat. Heat a large grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add potato, and cook for 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Place potato in a large bowl; sprinkle with cumin mixture and cilantro. Toss gently.

Preparation Time: 11 minutes

Cooking Time: 10 minutes

Servings/Serving Size: Yield: 4 servings (serving size 1/2 cup).

Nutrition Facts (per Serving):
    157 calories; 28.1 g carbohydrates; 0 mg cholesterol; 4.3 g fat; 163 mg sodium; 2 g protein; 31 mg calcium; 1.1 mg iron; 3.5 g fiber