Community Message Boards

Thread: Thickening crock pot soup?

Thickening crock pot soup?

I am going to make a bean soup in the crockpot today, but I'd like a thicker broth with it. Anyone have any tips or ideas on how to thicken soup in a crockpot? I am thinking of mixing some cornstarch and water together... but I don't know when I'd add it. Half way through the day, or at the end? I'll probably be cooking the soup on low all day.

TIA!

I've used some recipes where you finish cooking the dish on low, then remove the chunks (it was a very chunky stew) and add a flour-water slurry. Turn the crockpot up to high and cover until thickened (maybe 15 minutes). With a soup I would think you could do the same thing without having to remove anything. Just add your flour or cornstarch slurry and turn it up to high for a little while.

You could use a blender or a potato masher to smush or puree some of the beans. That will thicken the soup. If you go the slurry route, I think you'd want to bring the soup to a boil before adding it, but I could be wrong. It's a good day for soup here, too!

I believe if you had a whole peeled baking potato to the pot, maybe half way through, that should help thicken up the broth. I read this in one of my cookbooks (not sure which one), and is a better alternative to cornstarch or flour, b/c in my experience if the liquid isn't boiling, you run the chance of making dumplings/noodles!

I have always heard that potato flakes are great to thicken soups. have never tried it, but I can see where it would work.

Either add a cornstarch-water slurry at the end and turn the pot up to high, or scoop some of the soup out at the end and puree it and add it back in. I have done both with bean/veg soups and they both seem to work.

I usually take out a cup or so of beans, mash them and return it to the soup. If it's not thick enough then I do it again. It all depends on the amount of soup you have, but it's very easy to do.

Thanks!

Thanks for the good ideas! They all seem like they would do the trick. Maybe I'll try pureeing some of the beans this time, potato flakes the next time...

It certainly is a good day for soup in Minneapolis... after some springy weather, we are back to snow and chilliness.